1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Parkhead return for Lennon!!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Bhoyyo, Apr 3, 2008.

By Bhoyyo on Apr 3, 2008 at 6:10 PM
  1. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die

CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce today that former club captain Neil Lennon is to join the club's full-time coaching staff with immediate effect.

Neil will be working with the first team under the direction of Celtic manager Gordon Strachan.

The Irishman, a hero among supporters throughout his time at the club, takes up his new role immediately and will be in the dugout at Celtic Park on Saturday for the game against Motherwell.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said: “Neil is someone who I am proud to have worked with previously and is a man who I have great respect for.

“Neil has made a huge contribution to Celtic over a number of years and has been a major part of the club's success in recent times.

“We were disappointed to lose Neil and he is someone who I was very keen to have back at the club.

“With his qualities, Neil will be a very valuable addition to our team and we are very much looking forward to working with him.”

And speaking to the official Celtic website, Neil Lennon described his delight at returning to Paradise.

Neil said: "I am overwhelmed at being offered this chance to return to Celtic, a place where everyone knows my heart lies.

"Obviously, it was a tremendous honour to play for Celtic and to captain the club. Returning to Celtic and being part of the coaching set-up is simply phenomenal.

"I would like to thank Gordon for this opportunity and I look forward to doing all I can to play my part in achieving further success for the Club."

Neil Lennon joined Celtic from Leicester City in December 2000 and made his debut against Dundee at Dens Park that same month. Over the course of the next few seasons, until he left in June 2007, he made a total of 304 appearances for his beloved Hoops, scoring three goals.

He won a total of five League Championships, four Scottish Cups, two League Cups and also helped Celtic reach the UEFA Cup final in 2003.

The 36-year-old midfielder joined Nottingham Forest for the start of this season and then moved to Wycombe Wanderers in January this year, where he teamed up with former Celtic team-mate Paul Lambert.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008