1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Managers in Europe post-2000

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Feb 17, 2019.

Discuss Our Managers in Europe post-2000 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If he hadnt * up the Armedia qualifier as well we'd have probably been 2nd seeds in the CL for 3 seasons.

That game/tie is by far our worst ever European result.

freitassen, The IRA and Marty McFly like this.
  2. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think that’s incredibly harsh on Strachan.

I would argue we have a team that’s not far off what we had then, on paper. Despite that we are far easier to beat (particularly at Celtic Park) and ultimately haven’t had the same success - two last 16 CL appearances.

We took the 2007 winners to ET ffs.

3. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Obvs most "successful" was O'Neill.
    Pound for pound Lennon was just amazing in Europe and Strachan was great at overachieving also.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Have to give a lot of credit to Strachan as well tbf. He took a side with Lee Naylor, Gary Caldwell, and Jean Joel Perrier Doumbe, and beat a Milan side with Kaka, Pirlo, Inzaghi, and Seedorf.

Also beating the Rooney/Ronaldo Man U side with Evander Sno and Paul Telfer.

Mental how close he got us to the quarter finals of the CL considering the players he had.

5. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    1. O’Neill
    2. Strachan
    3. Rodgers
    4. Lennon
    5. Deila
    6. Mowbray

6. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Stats can be looked at in many different ways, especially when you watch the games. So many factors come into play. Budgets need looked at also.

7. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Strachan cause he did more with less and didn't have a freak like Larsson upfront.

8. clonbhoy

It is difficult to assess it objectively because football has changed so much during this period. For example, I would say that MON is the greatest because he got us to a European final, but he also underachieved in the CL. Back then, I dreamt of us getting to the latter stages of the CL and, as Porto showed, it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility for teams like us.We could beat anyone at home and seemed to expect to.
    Strachan's achievements were huge too, given that the squad wasn't in the best shape when he came in and his budget was smaller. In many ways his achievements were more impressive and, as the financial gap widened, Lenny's were more so again.

Now, while I think teams like Red Bull Salzburg are the blueprint for what we should be trying to achieve, I still can't see them, or us, or any other team from outside the 'Big 5' (that term makes me sick,but it is relevant), getting to the semi-finals of the Champions League. Roma getting to the semi-final was a surprise last year! Three La Liga teams, PSG, Bayern,Juve and the EPL. That is who UEFA want in the semi-finals, that's who they will nearly always get. Getting to the last 16, or, even more unlikely, beyond it, wouldn't just be breaking the glass ceiling, it would be smashing it. So, were anyone to do it, it would better the achievements of MON, Lenny and WGS. Especially when UEFA makes it so hard for teams like us to even qualify. They have turned it into a three tier competition based on financial incentive.

The frustration with Rodgers is that he seems to fail to realise this. For every game we get it right in the groups like Manchester City at home, there are several where we get absolutely destroyed. Maybe he thinks that we should stick to an ideal no matter what, that we are going to lose anyway so try and lose right, but it seems incredibly naive. I still don't think Celtic should be getting ripped apart by anyone, especially at home.

9. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I often wonder how the likes of Strachan’s teams or Lennons 12/13 team would have done in the EL given a crack at it.

Considering the Huns got to the final in 2008, the same year we got the CL last 16 under Strachan, you’d imagine a decent run with the side we had then would have been plausible.

I really thought Rodgers would make us a team capable of Last 16 of the CL/last 8 of the EL on a more regular basis. I think he can be excused for not getting out of the two CL groups we’ve been in, as they were both genuinely very tough groups. Our EL achievements haven’t been great though - what is looking like two last 32 appearances isn’t much to shout home about.

Marty McFly likes this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Strachan for me.

Didnt have half the budget mon enjoyed as well as having quite frankly the worst defence in my memory of sides.

Incredible he was able to get us to the last 16 not once but twice. Especially with that donkey caldwell thinking he was * beckenbaur at the back.

Marty McFly likes this.
  11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Making up that list fairly took me back.

You look at results and think “* aye, mind that” and some that I genuinely can’t even remember anything about :56:

It’s also interesting to see how much more difficult it is for us to reach CL group stages. Couple of seasons in there where we were straight in.