1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our manager's ambition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by muaythai postie, Aug 8, 2018.

Discuss Our manager's ambition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    I swear to * if Lawwell and co. have the balls to chase away Brendan Rodgers of all people then what's even the point in getting a decent manager?

May as well get John Kennedy to be the Celtic manager. He's cheap and probably wouldn't pester the board as much.

2. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    They had a patsy in place before in Ronny and look where that got us , NO CL at all , stadium empty and a pish team.

Jack Torrance likes this.
  3. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I actually agree with you that the board should be in a position where they take criticism mate. I'm not one of these 'blind' supporters who think everything is rosy.
    I agree about your C/B point in so far as we could do with an experienced first team one. I will argue Hendry is better than sviatchenko. Just my opinion. He is not just faster but he is better in the air. The failure to address the r/b situation is disgraceful, but brendan shoulders some of that responsiblility.

But saying all that there is still 3 weeks of the window left.

4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Can't disagree with that. I'm just not in the same mindset as folk who want to 'see action' taken against the board.

5. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    on the other hand not everybody is just saying spend spend spend........most of us realise a business needs to be run too and we're not asking for the world!!......you could turn this round and say failure to spend modest amounts to greatly enhance our chances of qualification and the monies that would return as well as improving the squad is actually gonna prove to be financial negligence by the board. I'm not saying we're out yet by the way, i happen to still think it's 50/50

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Still 3 weeks to go, but if Boyata is sold and 2 good defenders aren't brought in then I will be raging, i'd probably also want another good player just because either Roberts or another midfielder.

So far the business hasn't been too bad, I don't like new guys playing qualifiers so dont care the guys havent been signed yet, delighted Edouard signed as I never thought we'd have got him. Armstrong was always going to go so not much has changed.

Main thing that * us was Boyata reaching the World Cup semis and Dembele being injured. With those two playing our chances would be increased a good bit, both are our best threats from set pieces and our best striker and centre-back.

McGinn I wanted but it's not too big a deal since he wouldn't have been coming into the team anyway and was more a player for 1/2/3 years down the line.

7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

So how do fans actually go about criticising the board and making their feelings known? In all honesty, they couldn't give a * about the fans opinion just their money for tickets, merch, TV subscriptions...

The point is, if it comes out publicly that they have held the club back with a lack of ambition and reluctance to reinvest in the team (ironically the slogan of the Celtic stores) then fans will vent their anger in one way or another. We're not just customers.

8. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Again, I don't disagree with much of this, but it seems the easy way to always blame the board. Is Brendan immune to criticism. How many times last season did we watch Lustig make the most basic errors.
    Only one guy is responsible for his continued selection. Brendan.

Gamboa came in for a couple of games and looked decent. Lustig comes in, and for me is at fault for the goal.

9. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    For me personally, if we qualify for the group stages of the C/L or the europas i wont be buying any packages. Like being in them because i feel it gives momentum to our whole season but the competitions hold no appeal gor me. There's plenty of platforms for fan's to 'criticise' the board and that's fine.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Such as..?

11. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    The board are going to chase our most successful manager since MON out the door because they are tight *. We are in our best financial state ever (Lawells words) but we can't even get the managers targets in the door. It's a * disgrace.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  12. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Rodgers clearly understands the limitations we have as a club, and respects that the board work in a certain way and tend to be cautious, overly so in some peoples eyes. As a top quality manager, and a Celtic fan to boot, Brendan Rodgers wouldn't do anything to put this club in financial jeopardy.

Rodgers will eventually leave Celtic, but it will be a tragedy if he leaves because he feels he isn't being backed by the board. The fact is, gambling on a big transfer fee is less of a gamble under a manager with the track record of Brendan Rodgers.

My view is, Rodgers won't be here for too long, so let's give him some money and enjoy the good times.

13. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just wanted tae reply to the first bit of your post, the Boyata situation has me really worried. If as reported we got a bid of £9mill for him and knocked it back then we've surely done so on Brendans sayso.

We all know he rates Boyata despite the opinion of some of the fans..if they do come back in for him tonight for 12mill and we accept then how the * is Brandan gonna be feeling then.. missing out on one of his top transfer targets in McGinn and then selling one of his favoured players after having backed him a day earlier and not selling.....

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    They cant now, the English window is shut.

If he goes now it will probably be to Germany or Italy and probably for about £6million now. I just hope we get him signed onto a new contract, he is by far our best centre-back, not only would he be a miss just because he is a quality defender but he's a massive threat from set pieces and he is the ONLY guy we have capable of playing on the sides of the back 3 so we'd be * for playing 3 at the back.

Any new guys we bring in probably won't have played in a 3 at the back so would take them time to settle into it and it'll be tought to get similar types to Boyata as we'd really need to replace his threat in the air from set pieces.

With Dembele being injured often we could be going into games without a single * who can header a ball from a freekick or corner. That will give us a big disadvantage in almost every game, even teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts are dangerous from set pieces and whoever we play in Europe will likely also be better than us.

15. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Exactly , Ajer and Hendry are supposed to be big too , but when we get a set piece you just know they wont score , we never really score from set pieces.

16. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The one we're using just now. However, if you want criticism of the board on a level which the board will actually take notice of, and act upon, then we are entering a whole different world

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    First sign of the manager and the board pulling in opposite directions. The board has to back the manager and I wouldnt say his requests have been unreasonable thus far.

We didnt lose Mcginn for financial reasons. The money is there. But for some reason the board feel that new lights are more justifiable than CL qualification.

A bit worrying.

18. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ah right, I thought it closed at midnight..my mistake. * strange time for it to close tho naw?

19. john2061

seen rogers interview where the question was asked are the board backing your ambitions and he wouldnt go into it and think if the board dont get the finger out and give him the money then think this will be his last season .

20. Martybhoy53

Lawwell will justify buying the new lights after the stadium was chosen as the venue for next years Pro14 rugby final. I would prefer a quality defender.