1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our manager's ambition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by muaythai postie, Aug 8, 2018.

Discuss Our manager's ambition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Rodgers will leave when he thinks he has taken the team as far as he can, which will only be accelerated by not getting his transfer targets in or when he gets bored, both are linked.

He covered his own back (and rightly so) the other day in case the season starts to unravel. The fact we are at a huge high point in Celtics history means a likelihood now we will start to show signs of panic at any negative thing happening with the club such as transfer dealings. it's a natural process.

Rodgers will stay on however especially to make sure his ego isn't dented by his former apprentice, Gerrard. It will not look good on his CV if things were to go wrong..in that regard im sure we will be able to see there supposed challenge off this season comfortably.

a treble treble will not be enough this season though, the novelty is wearing off (exception to winning league in general to get to 10). Progress in Europe, champions league or europa league is where we are judged and this is why the team needs to be backed in transfer dealings. Failure there, will see him go, will see the chances of ten diminish and our opposition will only smell blood.

2. Bonobhoy

Worrying stuff this..getting to this stage where the media will have a free for all on him now and the club.

And if he did leave,who the * would take it knowing now that the last 2 good managers have Celtic have * off due to lack of funding? Probably an under 18's coach next.

Board better fix this,starting tonight after the English window closes.

If not,i could see a severe backlash on this....Always stated that Lawell and co will be our downfall,not they mutants being better across the city. This is going to happen if not sooner but later,it will come down to these fuckwits in charge.

And if you think for 1 second that we will accept to lower our ambition to match that lot so there is an even playing field...then you are in for a * major shock.

GET IT * FIXED TONIGHT,AND SUPPORT THIS MANAGER FOR EUROPE

3. Grace

A board unwilling to match the ambition of the manager, the players and the supporters.

Lawwell can take a * in his hands and clap.

Bunch of Tory *.

4. dmac

The board are guilty of complacency and resting on their laurels. Happy to bask in the glory of two trebles but overlooking the fact we were shown up in European competitions. Their complacency is what could stop the team making 10iar as the team and manager will become disillusioned and that never ends well.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Bertie Cauld likes this.
  5. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What is the 'sorry state' we're in? We spent money on Eddy. Alright armstrong left, but we weren't actively looking to punt him. He wasn't going to sign a new deal so we cashed in. * calm down. We're still in with a chance of qualifying ffs!!! Get through Aek and then the playoffs and the entire mood would change.

6. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Oh and sviatchenko was gash

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Something needs to be done with the board action has to be taken I very much doubt Brendan will see the season out here if not with those comments!

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  8. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

If Brendan is not backed in the remaining weeks of the transfer window he will be off at the end of the season. Win a Treble Treble or not, he will not hang around for 10 iar. And if we don't start investing in the team, leaving us standing still on progression, there will be no 10 iar !!…..And the Hun backed media want this scenario.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye alright, calm doon Peter.

10. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    No room for reason then?

11. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Brendan has a massive ego, nothing wrong with that, it drives people onwards to be successful and believe in their own ability. I genuinely believed he would see us to the ten himself because if it.
    As for the board, their frugal approach won't change.

Both he and the board seemed to be on the same page from day 1 in regards to money. There's money for players but also we will sign a couple of projects for him to develop. And it was working well.

However I can't quite get my head around something that's been bothering me for a while. Our current transfer system.
    Brendan is a good coach and has basically coached a majority squad of pre existing players to glory. This is his sixth window and the team that lined up v Athens had 3 signings made while he's been in charge. That to me is strange.

Who's identifying players? Why are we looking to the UK so much since Brendan came? Has Kouassi, Commper and Musonda eroded some of the trust the board have in Brendans transfer judgement? If indeed he's the one picking the players.
    Regardless of how people feel about McGinn, why not get him? Because of the totally secret way we go about transfers we can only speculate as to what really happened with McGinn but this saga does appear to have lit the touchpaper. Initially I thought there was an easy fix to this, get a few decent transfers over the line and get focussed on the pitch again. However, it would seem there's a bit of work to be done here between management and board. The result last night has not helped either.

Part of the McGinn affair had him coming to us simply because he was a fan. Brendan is a fan too, that alone won't keep him.
    Surely to Christ after two fabulous seasons and everything (seemingly anyway) moving along nicely into this season we can't * it up. Surely..............

12. ddub11

Can it be really that simple?....Europe is just a bonus to us?.
    Regarding the huns their spending money like their loaded(* players) but i can see them closing the gap with us.

13. Murph-E

Wow, we spent money on a player! All it took was 2 consecutive CL qualifications and bringing in £8mil for Armstrong and £1mil for Sviatchenko and £7.5 mil from VVD sell-on and two years of £30mil+ season ticket sales and the most lucrative shirt sponsor and kit manufacturer deals in our history to do so!!

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    His comments are worrying me.

Few months ago I'd of Been sure of him being here for 10 and for us to be in the CL consistently, with an improving squad.

Now I'm not sure of any of those 3 things. The board are seriously playing about with our chances of securing 10 under him and if they do there will be no forgiveness.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think people are entitled to be a little * off/concerned about the board not wanting to spend a bit of money on the first team. We've needed a centre half since January, since Erik left (Compper wasn't eligible for Zenit so imo was pointless signing). You cannot argue that Hendry is better than Sviatchenko, he's quicker and that's it. We've also needed a right back who can get up and down the wing to eventually replace lustig. Neither problem has been addressed and our manager has came out to publicly state that he's * off at our lack of transfer activity.

That's reason to criticise the board, when your double-treble winning manager feels he isn't being given the tools to do his job you can only blame the people who hold the purse strings.

16. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    away down to the bookies then... they have made 11 signings weve made 1 so far , you can't get a bet Celtic.

17. ddub11

Covering up the cracks.
    Get to the playoffs and the mood will change but it wont take away from the fact we need players brought in to strengthen the squad .
    As it is ,to many times in Europe it seems we struggle against even the average teams.

18. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Couple of seasons without european football and our cash reserves would take a huge hit. Easy being a fan and saying spend,spend spend. European football ain't our holy grail. For me having a celtic to support is. We must have as high a wage bill as we've had for many a season. We will always be in a precarious position financially.

19. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Its sad how often weve proved what spending a bit of serious cash does when were not in great shape i.e Lenny 2010 and bringing in Brendan. But the reluctance to build on a position of strength is still there

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Surely that's all the more reason to make relatively modest investments to minimise the risk of losing out on the Champions League money?

Murph-E and jocksteinupper like this.