1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our manager's ambition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by muaythai postie, Aug 8, 2018.

Discuss Our manager's ambition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Wage total is creeping up anyway. If a big name breaches any plans, then Brendan can simply be told that a few fringe players will have to leave. But let him have a big signing if he feels he needs it.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Easier said than done tho, we need a wage structure of sorts..

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know I'd rather see us get into the CL that be super-strict about a wage structure. There's De Vries, Compper, Boyata, Šimunović, Biton, Allan, and Hayes we could sell. Some of them go- there's room for a big name like Diego Reyes.

4. Ak1

Recruitment in the SPL (and Europe) is now totally dominated by EPL money.

£4m for McGinn (Villa) £7m for Armstrong (Soton) is peanuts, with most the clubs probably willing to accept losing even bigger figures in agents fees.

Even loans for unproven players now usually carry a financial burden, and our finances (which most consider well run under PL) currently struggle to compete now with even ambitious English Championship clubs. Obviously most these English clubs finances are fragile at best, and we've all witnessed how quickly football clubs can unravel (Leeds, Portsmouth, them etc)

As mentioned previously we've had 2 great seasons domestically, but all been disappointed by events in Europe (particularly the big defeats) Pretty much every fan has waited patiently to see new defenders signed, but here lies Rogers and Congerton's biggest problem with KT, Ajar and (even now) Boyata improving under BR. Where as BR's defensive signings have mainly struggled to establish themselves (Gamboa, Commper and De Vries)

Not signing McGinn is strange, but Hibs played the market and Villa took the bait. Perhaps it's all meant to be and Kouassi can finally prove his worth with a decent run in the team.

5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

My point is we were in a really positive position after the signing of edouard, Everything was incredible. Double treble, broke our transfer record on an exciting young talent new deals for rogic etc. However that positivity, I feel anyway, had been deteriorating over the course of this summer with the john mcginn thing being the fulcrum. Personally I didn't want him at the price they were asking but it looks like it has * off the manager.

I can't argue with pretty much all your points. I actually strongly agree that Rodgers is partly culpable for what we're seeing right now. The mcginn/ kouassi thing , you've hit the nail right on the head with that. The wasted transfers, of which there have probably been more than there has been successes. The CB thing, while we did try to prepare in advance both were, at best, gambles. I know hindsight is a marvellous thing and all that but a quick look at both these guys careers up to joining us could have told even the most optimistic amongst us that both were very much long odds gambles. That's what I mean by poor preparation. All this probably does factor in why he's not being backed the way he feels he should be.

Having said all that Rodgers is argueably the best we've had in modern times and we do, as a club, need to keep him onside with the proper backing, but he also needs to realise he does shoulder some of the blame for what went on so far in this window. Both rodgers and the board need to knuckle down and get on with it.

It's not quite panic stations yet but doom and gloom is setting in. These next 3 weeks will be season defining i think. A couple of real quality additions in the door to freshen things up a good performance on Tuesday, even if we go out, as long as we go down with a fight and not a lame arsed performance like malmo or the likes, and if we do go out then qualification for the EL. All that will set us back on track.

Samurai Bhoy likes this.
  6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

Villa paid 2.8 million for McGinn not 4 million.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hilarious to say that in a window where we’ve smashed our transfer record and are highly likely to spend again before the window closes.

8. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Celtic did not have a great season last year, lets be real here. Anyone who was happy with the performances last year wasnt paying attention. The football was simply awful most of the time. We need freshening up. Our defensive issues are being overlooked again, this issue is now so old its boring as *. Rodgers asks more out of his defenders than most other managers. Last year all we done was pass between the back line for 80 mins a game. Most defenders will make mistakes when asked to do this week in week out. Its the midfields job in my opinion. The issue needs addressed.

New season is underway and weve mixed it up and are playing much better. We no longer seem to be passing along the back line and if we get jozo and boyata up to speed they should do well alongside ajer. Time will tell. In euro games though we need someone more commanding and vocal as a cb. This is what i think most fans are looking for also. At least.

In football you need to sign players every window. Its not fukin optional. Yous can laugh all yous want about the scum but they were the top scorers last term and their new defence looks like a big improvement so logic says to me theyre getting closer. Talks of them being 5 or 10 years behind us is laughable. If ronny was at the helm last year we would of been fukn hammerd. To sit still is going backwards. We have the manager, we have the cash, we have the stadium, we have the fans, but do we have the ambition needed at the top levels of the club. Its a big no from me n brendan. Which is all that really matters. Keep Rodgers happy, he keeps every other * happy.

The team is fine apart from a couple of positions needing help. The lack of movement is the real issue. All this double treble winners momentum has been squashed and we are all in shock at how this has been played out. Brendan rodgers isnt happy and i for one am * myself because of it. Broken transfer record or not

m8ybhoy likes this.
  9. scootz

Seems to me there are an awful lot of folks who weren't particularly keen on McGinn (I know I wasn't), but have chosen to take an almighty hump with the Board just because we didn't sign him. * weird! It's like grumpy toddlers who don't want the toy they're playing with, but instead want what the next kid has!

BR has made it clear that he fully understands the difficulties our club faces in the transfer market. He's an intelligent guy - I doubt there's any tension at all between him and the Board. An issue being created where none exists... at Celtic Football Club... surely not!?

And even IF the McGinn saga has indeed caused some tension between them, then why is it just the Board who's getting it tight? I think some folk need to ask themselves why BR was chasing a midfielder at this stage of the transfer window, when it's our back line that is in dire need of significant investment?

If there is a 'shadow' being cast on the club right now (1 * game into our domestic season!), then it's coming from childish 'fans' with unrealistic expectations.

Cheer up ya prawn munching *!

10. m8ybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail the Celts are here
    At the end of the day (pardon the cliche), considering what BR has done for the club. If he wanted McGinn, you go get him McGinn.

PL: Sorry Brendan, with one year left on his contract, we just don’t feel we can push the boat out here at 2.8m.

BR: That’s ok Peter, there’s loads of other upcoming Internationals with Scottish league experience, actual supporters of Celtic, and will go for between 12 to 18m in the next few years. Try and get him on the cheap and save all the millions from CL and player sales ok? Thanks anyway. I know it’s a lot to ask after only delivering 2 trebles and CL group stages on the bounce. I promise I’ll try harder and won’t bother you again.

PL: Thanks Brendan. We are looking into a non Scottish player who still has testicles to fall, plying his trade on the other side of the world. He did * all at the WC but he’ll hopefully make Man City a tidy profit IF he’s any good here.

BR: Truly awesome Peter. Sorry again for darkening your door.

The principle here is NOT McGinn. It is NOT giving the best manager we could hope to have what he wants. See the bigger picture.

bhoy81 likes this.