1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

On this day...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Just Kieran, Mar 24, 2017.

Discuss On this day... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Brutal, brutal game. Remember it vividly, one of my biggest downs following Celtic.

3. Markybhoy

Broony played left back on Robbie Keane's debut at Kilmarnock.

Say what you like about Mowbray but when you look at the players in that team they should still have been good enough to beat a St Mirren team that had just lost to a 9 man Huns team a few days before. The players were a disgrace that night.

My abiding memory of that night has already been mentioned. It is of Tony Mowbray sitting on the bench, head bowed, looking totally broken. He knew the game was up. I also remember scarves being thrown on to the pitch by Celtic fans, which I always hate to see.

Sitting listening to that match on the radio was surreal. I remember just sitting there, mouth gaping, saying to myself "We are 4-0 down to St Mirren. *!". I wasn't even angry about it by that stage, I was just resigned to it. Things had got that bad. I've never been more sad to see a manager fail at Celtic than I was when Mowbray failed. He was the man I wanted to get the job and I really felt we would play some entertaining football under him. I just think he tried to change too many things in a short space of time. In the end he had to go. I still like the big fella though.

Just Kieran likes this.
  4. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Definitely Scott Brown.

packybhoy likes this.
  5. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

My sentiments exactly, Mark.

I thought he was the right man for it, I really did. I remember doing an article on the site kind of profiling him, and backing him for the job when Strachan left.

His team at Hibs were good to watch, and even his WBA side (more so in the Championship) were a good side with nice, technical footballers. I thought he'd be great for us.

6. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

The game we were all thinking about was Kilmarnock on Robbie Keane's debut. Brown came onto replace Lee Naylor, and basically just filled in at left-back instead of the manager changing the shape of the team.

8. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    In the St Mirren game, McGeady went to left back when Braafheid came off for Rasmussen, probably why yous are getting mixed up :50:

9. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

*, what a horrible night that was

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Funnily enough I had the highlights of this match on just the other week before the SC game we had with St Mirren. Sometimes remembering the bad times is every bit as important as the good. That's how I feel anyhow. It just makes the good times all that much better and keeps us a little humble and dispells any sense of entitlement, for me at least.

I supported Mogga, not because of any particular appreciation of his tactical achievements as a manager prior to his Celtic appointment, but for his time here as a player and by virtue of the fact that he was the Celtic manager, I wanted him to succeed as I do every Celtic manager, no matter if they were the ilk of MO'N or WGS at one end of the spectrum, or the likes of Brady, Macari or Barnes. If a Celtic manager is successful it means Celtic are successful. Simple.

But Mogga as a manager did not inspire confidence right from the get go. From memory he had not been the first choice to replace WGS, but the truth is, the team he inherited only needed a little bit added to it and some fine tuning to get it back to where Strachan had it during his 3IAR. Even early on in his time as boss, Mogga's tactics were often baffling. For example, there were times when we were defending a corner and all of our players were strung out in a straight line. It wasn't man on man, if it was supposed to be zonal it didn't make sense either. It was just the weirdest defensive formation to a set piece and no idea what the point of it was. The players seemed completely baffled by it also.

By January 2010 it was clear there were problems with the squad and how Mowbray was wanting them to play, but January is not the time to be making wholesale changes to the squad. But that is what happened.

There are people on here to this day that seemingly think that every transfer window that we get rid of 8-10 players and bring that same number in. January 2010 should be always remembered because that is exactly what happened, and the St Mirren result was the end result, a final straw if you will, as it seemed all too apparent that something like this was just a matter of time. Things had just not gelled and here we were, getting thumped by St Mirren. And deservedly so.

There was enough ability on the pitch, so the pieces were there, generally speaking. Considering Lenny took over as interum boss and if memory serves, went on to win all of the remaining league games on the trot with the only blemish being getting done by Ross Co. in the Sc Cup SF.

Mowbray really had cut a bit of a forlorn figure for a while before this, and his transfer actions in January that year screamed of desperation. I don't know if it was this night that broke Mogga as such, because it just seemed to be coming for a while, or if it was just the final straw and that he knew the writing was on the wall. Whatever it was, it was clear he had to go.

The lesson is clear. January is a time to tweak, not make wholesale changes.

11. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I was there. Horrible game with a horrible atmosphere especially at the end.

12. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Scott Brown playing right back in that game is a genuine example of the Mandela Effect.

13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not sure Brown played that game, but TM did have him play as a FB at one point, so the point is the same. Even worse was Barnes trying to make Lubo into a fullback. :87:

14. TheHappyLoss

Exactly what I remember too, was * horrible watching him come apart

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. TheHappyLoss

A player I just didn't get that others seemed to rate during Mowbary's time was Kamara (can't mind the spelling) kinda forwardy not one thing or the other player for me. Flattered to decieve but many seemed to rate him

Taz likes this.
  16. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb

Skip to 4:00... a picture says 1000 words.

17. The Greenman King of kings

Why did you have to remind us of this:56:

18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sometimes it is important to remember the bad times every bit as much as it is the good. Not only does it make us appreciate the successes more, there are lessons to be learned from times such as this. Being selective about history means ending up with a distorted view of history, and not learning from mistakes means there is a high probability of repeating them.

Not for nothing, but both of which seem to be traits more common among the blue half of Glasgow, where seemingly there is a culture content to continue to do exactly this.

Liam Scales and CalgaryBhoy like this.
  19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It was a good season though.
    Whitewashed Oldco.

20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    The league was over at that point in the St.mirren game , it was just horrible. The only season ive ever genuinely thought the huns had a better team than us and deserved the league.
    Ross County was just as bad.We had a chance to salvage something and * it.