1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Burke

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 5, 2019.

Discuss Oliver Burke in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Of course it's not sustainable, but our football for the last season and a half has been pretty poor, on the whole.

Not helped by a lot of duff signings.

2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Don't think Damien has joined the coaching team yet.

StPauli1916 and Officer Doofy like this.
  3. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He is going to be another squad player whoever thinks he can play on the left are nuts . So either he plays before Forrest which i cant see hes going to be another squad player simple . I dont mind loans if its fit for purpose but this isnt . For starters we all know our key areas of concern are the defence and strikers this window, we can talk about goalkeepers in the summer and the players at the moment we are linked with are another loan and another project its simply not good enough

4. wulliebad

It was put up in FB and i thought some people might like to see it.....good or bad it gives us some idea of what to expect.

5. wulliebad

Forrest needs a break from time to time....they all do and our squade players are not good enough....only thing i hate about this deal is its 6 months.....* stupid loan term.

Sonic Reducer and Britwell bhoy like this.
  6. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    *meanwhile in the celtic football club boardroom*

* 1 " alright lads, its obvious were in a bit of a mess here. The squad needs alot of reinforcments, weve alot of deadwood, and more importantly... the support arent happy. Whats the plan?"

* 2 " well, we do have a fair chunk of cash sitting there, lets go out and invest in some players. We look good, win the league etc etc"

*murmured agreement*

* 3 " wait, before we go, ya know, acting all responsible, why dont pretend to try and invest, ya know, make some low ball offers and what not, then just bring in some loans. It makes us look like were really busy and costs us nothing. See?

*intense murmured agreement*

* 1 "you really think the supporters will buy that again? I mean, lets be honest, weve been pulling that one for a while now...."

*audible reservations*

* 3 "oh you silly sausauge you. As long as we look like were making an effort then the supporters will understand. Its not like were man city or psg is it? "

*chorus of chuckling*

* 1: agreed! Send in the grey fox!

ENTER PETER LAWELL

* 1: "time to earn that bonus petey boy! Here are your orders, first I want you to make fleeting enquiries about players of obvious quality weve no intention of pursuing. Then, sanction a few loans for players, 6 month ones this time, we dont want another arzani debacle".

Peter Lawell: indeed sir. What if Rodgers is reluctant? Hes already stated he needs defensive reinforcements this window.

* 1" Defensive reinforcements? Who does he think Dermot Desmond is? King Midas?

*all laugh audibly and exchange slaps on the back*

* 1 " and didnt we already go out and get him that compper chap? Not to mention the lad Hendry... we spent a tidy million on that little nugget. No. Im afraid he'll just have to make do. If he offers resistance, feed him some pish posh about turkish teams scuppering bids and inflation rates and what not. Thatll be all Peter. Oh, send in the desert trolly on your way out would you?"

Peter Lawell: "very good sir".

* 3: " i watched that bandersnatch on netflix last night did anyone see it?

* 2" ohhh i was going to watch that later...."

FADE OUT

7. WeeMentalDavey

Lad looks like he'd suit RB over RW with that strength he has on the youtube vids.

Probably use him to replace Lustig and/or fill in for Forrest when a game needs shut down.

8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't know if folk are comparing the form of the managers this season or their overall ability considering budgets and squad depth and quality but we can briefly look at the career trajectory of each manager and that should answer both questions.

It's interesting how often Brendan and people he's worked with cross paths. Both of them worked at Reading, Liverpool, Chelsea, and now they are both in the SPFL managing their boyhood heroes.

Age 35

1998 June. First coaching job as Assistant Manager to Ruud Guulit.

Then he has various assisstant managers jobs, Jose, Grant, Zola. The first job he gets that's closest to managers job is.

Age 48

2011 January. Clarke was appointed first-team coach at Liverpool by Kenny Dalglish after Dalglish replaced Roy Hodgson two days before. Clarke was credited (alongside Dalglish) for turning Liverpool's season around, having a points average of around two points per match from his arrival, coupled with an improved defensive record. On 12 May 2011, Clarke, as well as manager Dalglish, signed a three-year contract to remain in his current role as first team coach. On 14 May 2012, Clarke offered his resignation to Liverpool following the sacking of manager Dalglish and Liverpool's eighth-place finish in the 2011–12 Premier League. The club declined the offer, but on 6 June 2012, following the appointment of new manager Brendan Rodgers Clarke left the club. Clarke himself said that Liverpool sacked him.

I didn't know that but it explains the difference in quality a bit more than Kilmarnocks excellent form under Clarke.

Age 49

2012 June. Steve Clarke's debut as full time manager of West Bromwich Albion. West Brom won 3–0 at Southampton on 27 April, which was their 14th win of the season. This set club records for wins (14) and points (48) in a Premier League season. West Brom ended the season in style with a dramatic 5–5 draw with Manchester United, in what was Alex Ferguson's final match as manager. The draw saw West Bromwich finish 8th in the table, their best finish since 1981.

Age 50

2013/2014. On 9 November, West Brom were minutes away from securing a historic win at Stamford Bridge that would have ended José Mourinho's undefeated home record, but a controversial penalty decision ensured that the game ended 2-2. A further draw and four straight defeats followed and on 14 December 2013 Clarke was placed on gardening leave until May 2014, after a 1–0 loss at Cardiff City. This defeat had left the club two points above the relegation zone in 16th place. They had won 9 of the previous 41 Premier League matches.

Age 51

2014 December. Clarke was appointed manager of Reading on a two-and-a-half-year deal, succeeding Nigel Adkins. On 16 March 2015, Clarke managed Reading to a 3–0 win against Bradford City in the FA Cup to reach their first semi-final for 88 years. In November 2015, Clarke was approached by Fulham to become their manager. Reading gave Clarke permission to speak to Fulham, but following the discussion he decided against taking the position. Clarke was sacked by Reading on 4 December 2015 after one year in charge.

Age 54

2017 October. After a year out of football, Clarke was appointed manager of his boyhood heroes Scottish Premiership club Kilmarnock. His first game as Kilmarnock manager, which was his first involvement in a Scottish club match for 30 years, ended in a 1–1 draw at Rangers. Clarke oversaw a major improvement in Kilmarnock's fortunes during his first five months in charge, lifting them from last place to 5th in the league.

Brendan's topsy turvy trailblazing start to his career.

Age 35

2008 November. His debut as a full time manager begins at Championship side Watford. It's a steep learning curve and the first sign of his ability to bounce back and stay focused. By January he'd only won two games out of ten and they were in the relegation zone but after a dramatic turn around Brendan led them to a comfortable 13th place finish.

Age 36

2009 June. After 192 days a full time manager Brendan joins Reading leaving Watford unhappy but Reading give them £1m settlement. Nice

2009 Dec. Not nice. After 194 days back in his home town it proved a leap too far and they parted ways. Back to the drawing board? Nothing happens for a short time, brief talks were held with City regarding him becoming assistant to Mancini but nothing came of it.

Age 37

2010 July. Championship side Swansea must've seen something they liked. Maybe there still is hope. Brendan signs. It proved a good punt by Swansea.

Age 38

2011 May. Wembley. EPL Play Off Final Swansea vs Reading :eek: :celt_2: :bye1: Sincy scores a hat trick as Reading are pumped.

2011 May. Wembley. :62: 903 days into his full time coaching career Brendan Rodgers makes history as Swansea become the first Welsh team to gain promotion to the English Premier League. That wasn't he big news though. It was the 'footballing alchemy' he performed in South Wales.

Just read a spooky fact about that result and hat trick, you heard it?

2011 September. Bookies favourites :83: to go straight back down, Brendan and Swansea's first win in the EPL beating WBA 3 0. Swansea finish 11th place. Not the bookies favourites anymore.

Age 39

2012 June. Rodgers is unveiled as new Liverpool manager. Oooft g'awn yerself boy! 4 years a manager. LFC finish 7th, one spot higher.

Age 40

2013 August. Rodgers named MOTM as Liverpool win their first 3 games.

2014 April. After a run of 11 straight wins Liverpool are 5 points clear with 3 games to play. :43: :54: :39: :31:

2014 May. Liverpool finish 2nd scoring 101 goals the highest tally for a season since 1895/96, 3rd highest in EPL history. Brendan receives the LMA Manager of the Year Award, the first for a Liverpool manager in it's 20 year history :102:
    He signs a new 4 year contract :78: :60: :43: :nonono:

Age 41

2014 May. Liverpool are beat 6 - 1 by Stoke City which leaves them finishing in 6th Place meaning Brendan is the first Liverpool manager since the 1950's not to win a trophy after 3 seasons in charge :poster_oo :rofl: :RedFinger:lager:

Age 42

2015 October. After the Merseyside Derby ended 1-1 this meant Brendan's Liverpool went 1-0 up in 5 of their last 6 games only to finish 1-1. They had won once in the previous 9 games. 1 hour after the derby Brendan Rodgers was sacked leaving Liverpool in 10th place, I didn't realise he made bank, I thought for some reason they ran down the contract. Well he deserves the big payday for that second season alone, that was special. Not as special as what he was about to do next...

LectersLuncheon and bagforlife like this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :56: :57:

Very good but I'm not buying that chain of command, it's just not making sense that a billionaire would go to extra lengths to secure the services of a manager who's proven that he can compete at every level and make history at clubs as well not just passing through.

My main worry is how hungry will he be feeling now that he's naturally on a downward spiral because it does look like we were almost entering Ronny land that last game. It was Broony's performance especially that reminded me of that because he's been MOTM nearly every time we've played them last 13 times but that game he was all over the joint but it could what people are saying, him and Ntcham can't play toghether becuase they're trying to play in the same space. So my optimism now rests on the fact Brendan has a history of have bad times but he has always bounced back. The end of his LFC career was a bit like he lost interest and that's a wee bit worrying but he sailed over the ocean to support us with his da and relatives, he'll no like getting beat.

Anyway are you saying there are three folk behind the scenes of a much higher level than Pedro?

Man I bet this place is going to be full of trolls soon if we start dropping points, * 5 clubs fans will be dropping bombs and sad emojis all over the place :56:

I'm not saying you are no way, I'm just thinking how I'm feeling when things I don't know may or may not be true, I mean your story rings true in a lot of ways that we should worry about especially this buying awaful defenders bullshit, I can't get my head around the Compper one, I've not even seen him. Who scouted Hendry, we must have better youth players than him. I mean are we scouting players playing less quality opposition and thinking that'll transfer? This is why we need to start spending £5m on players who we know for certain will at least be good enough for the SPFL. How much is the 10iar worth? I mean would it generate any extra money? I imagine the stadium would be jam packed and bouncing every week if we entered a 10th season on the trot. Just thinking about now it'll be brilliant. But I'm not too bothered about it. It would be good but it's like taking our eye off the ball and not focusing on the games we've got to start thinking about now. Hearts, Hibs, Huns, Killie, Sheep are all around the same level of threat so if we play like that again we're going to suffer. I'm sure Defoe will be successful but not against us if we get our act together.

As i said I'm optimistic because Brendan has come back from a few winter breaks and changed things for the better, Watford, (Reading didn't let him get past Xmas) Liverpool winning 11 on the trot second season, Swansea he won EPL MOTM February award first season. So aye I'm slightly nervous but in reality my barometer is 6 points behind beginning of April. If we're healthier than that then our strong squad should once again get us over the finish line.

What I don't want is all those teams sniffing blood cause confidence can be deadly.

How much do we have in the bank? Are we in the black yet? What about the other teams are they all operating without debt? Would it be terribly unsporting if we did what Barca and Madrid do in La Liga and buy all the other teams best players? :fear:

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Dougie Freedman has seen Oliver Burke knocked to the canvas three times now.

Although he’s been down, he will never be counted out.

The former Scotland striker reckons the protege he put on the road to a Scottish record £27million-worth of moves and a fledgling international career can and will still fulfil his
    destiny as a top player.

Freedman’s adamant that will only happen if Celtic play him where his potential can finally be exploited.

The champions announced the West Brom fringe man as their loan signing yesterday, flying him out to Dubai for his medical and to join the Celtic squad for their winter workout.

Freedman, who gave the 21-year-old his chance at Nottingham Forest four years ago, says Burke has the resilience and attitude to bounce back from the setbacks which have seen him start only 12 games in the past three seasons and only 27 in his entire career.

Although he’s thrilled to see him get a chance after a phone call asking his advice last week, he admits he’s baffled about his role at Celtic.

Freedman, now sporting director at Crystal Palace, said: “I spoke to him last week and I said to him ‘Don’t wait and see if they give you an FA Cup game and think it changes things, get out and play’.

He had choices in the Championship as well as Celtic and all I said to him was ‘make sure you play, wherever you go’.

I said to him it wasn’t about location or where the team were in the league, it was about playing football. He needs to hurry up and get 100 games under his belt. He’s only started 27 in his whole career so far. You should be playing that from September toChristmas so it’s about him playing.

“I know people will be wondering about this maybe being his last chance, but he has an ‘I’ll show you’ attitude. He’s had rejections and setbacks, but anyone thinking that’ll stop him doesn’t know him. He still believes he can fulfil his potential to become a top, top player.

“He’ll keep puffing his chest out every time someone knocks him down, and he’ll come again, but only in the correct position and that’s as a right winger.”

That belief instantly has Freedman at a loss over Burke’s choice to pitch up at Celtic Park. With James Forrest in dominant form in the exact role Freedman says is Burke’s best, the six foot three inch powerhouse is clearly in to provide support up top for Odsonne Edouard in the absence of Leigh Griffiths.

His former mentor is in no doubt the Kirkcaldy-born star will give his all wherever Brendan Rodgers plays him.

He insisted: “He has the ability to face up a man and Glasgow Celtic have loved these players right through their history, a guy who can drop the
    shoulder, go by on the outside and deliver crosses.

“I saw him in the reserves at Forest and realised instantly he had the physical attributes to be playing in the first team, even at 17.

“I put him on the bench my first week there and I threw him on when we were 1-0 down against Blackpool with about half an hour left. It finished 4-4! He started training with us and I knew quickly that despite his physical attributes, his understanding of the game itself wasn’t quite there.

“We had a conversation with him and his folks and sent him to Bradford on loan to test him. He hated it. Two games and he was sent back.

When he came back, he came back a different person.

“He sat down and said ‘Right, what do I need to do to be a first team player?’. Take away the physicality of his game, take away the £27m in transfer fees and strip it right down to his
    personality and attitude.

“He’s had setbacks but he refuses to let them define him.

“I gave him the same programme Nathaniel Clyne and Wilfried Zaha had at Crystal Palace, young players of talent I know. I told him 8am in the gym, 10.30 first team training, 2pm back to train with the reserves, do it for six weeks and we’d revisit it.

“Every morning I’d drive into the training ground at 7.30 and see him walking in ahead of me, hood up, backpack over his shoulders, ready to work.

“He has an attitude that won’t be knocked down.

“I personally think the move to RB Leipzig was just too early in his development. He had only played 33 games and he was still learning the role, finding out that playing right wing wasn’t just about knocking it past your man and scoring a goal, that he had to track runners and work back and deal with far post headers. There was too much pressure on him too early.”

A single season in the Bundesliga saw him make 25 appearances - but only five from the start. Believing he needed more, the opportunity to come back to the UK came.

Freedman said: “Tony Pulis called me and I told him that he was a right winger, not a striker, who, given some space and time, could be very dangerous.

He still had to learn how to manipulate the ball with his technical ability, but that would come with games.

“They were in a dogfight though, and when Alan Pardew went in he didn’t think it was the right time to be playing a 20-year-old with so little experience.

“It was the same in the Scotland set-up though. I watched him play left wing, up front - he’s a right winger.

He’ll fulfil his potential because of his attitude, but he needs the role to be right for him.

“It’s not just because I’m still in contact with him, I know how much he’ll knuckle down if he gets the right opportunity. You’d need to maybe question his circle of influence if he’s going to Celtic and not playing in his right position, but I’ll wish him luck.”

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Scotland coach Mark McGhee has backed Oliver Burke to use his loan move to Celtic to reignite his international career.

The West Brom winger was confirmed as Celtic's first signing of the January transfer window and, subject to a medical, he will join Brendan Rodgers' squad at their winter training camp in Dubai.

McGhee was assistant to Gordon Strachan when Burke won his five full Scotland caps, the first against Denmark when he was just 18 years old.

Now 21, Burke has twice broken the transfer record for a Scottish footballer, first when RB Leipzig paid Nottingham Forest £13million for his services in 2016 and then again a year later when West Brom forked out £15m to bring him back to the Midlands.

Although he has struggled for regular game time over the past couple of years, McGhee believes the move to Parkhead could be the making of Burke.

And, after a stint in Scot Gemmill's Under-21 squad, he has backed the Kirkcaldy-born kid to catch current national coach Alex McLeish's eye.

'I always felt that what's happened to Ollie over the past couple of years was a possibility, simply because of his age,' said McGhee. 'However, I am still in absolutely no doubts over his ability or potential.

'This could be a good move for him because I think he is more than capable of performing at that level - he is potentially capable of performing in the English Premier League too, given his athletic ability, his skill and his speed in particular.

If Brendan can do what he has done with James Forrest, Leigh Griffiths, Ryan Christie and Stuart Armstrong, then big Alex will benefit from that.

'If he is ripping it up in the Scottish Premiership, his confidence will come back and I think Alex would definitely need to use him.' Promoted to international football at such a tender age and coveted by a host of clubs thanks to his explosive playing style, Burke was regularly compared to Gareth Bale.

Although transferred for huge sums of money as a kid, McGhee describes Burke as having the opposite of a big-time mentality. And he points out that even Wales star Bale took time to develop both his physique and his football before eventually scaling the heights as a Real Madrid player.

'When we took over at Scotland, we were in the midst of qualification and Wales were in the group,' said McGhee. 'I watched a lot of Bale and saw him develop and part of that was physical.

'Suddenly he looked like a monster. That sort of chiselled back and neck. Maybe Ollie needs a wee bit of that.

'He is a lovely lad, a quiet lad. Around the place he was quite introverted, a modest lad and not a big-time Charlie at all. At times you even wondered if he was just finding where he was as quickly as he was just a bit too much.' Although Burke is renowned for his searing pace, McGhee insists there is much more to his game than mere miles per hour. He continued: 'Ollie's speed is unbelievable, he is as quick as anybody I've ever seen. But he is a fantastic ball striker, too.

'When I speak about Ollie, I always go back to an incident when we trained at Barnet prior to the England game. You walk off at the corner of the pitch and as he walked off in front of us a ball rolled across. He is right sided but he did one of these Rabona kicks where he wrapped his left foot round it and crossed it to the back post.

'It was as casual as you like but the power to produce that was just unbelievable - I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

'That just highlighted his ability. If somebody can harness it they have a sensational player on their hands.' A fringe player as Leipzig claimed runners-up spot in the Bundesliga during his sole season in Germany, Burke has struggled for consistency with West Brom, making only three substitute appearances in the league this term.

'Maybe Celtic will be a place where he can understand what he is best at being asked to do,' added McGhee.

'I think there has been a bit of an issue in terms of what his best position is - is he a forward, winger or striker?

'There is a bit of uncertainty there. He has not nailed that yet and maybe he can do that at Celtic.'

'The opportunity to join a club of Celtic's stature on loan was felt by everyone to be the best pathway to help develop his career.

'Oli liked what Celtic had to offer and he has obviously got the opportunity to play on a great stage which should be of benefit to him.

'I would stress that there is no 'option to buy' clause at the end of the loan and he will be back with us at the end of the season.'

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm getting more and more confused. Why is this guy saying Burke is a right winger and he told him wherever you go make sure you get game time every week, doesn't matter which team or league just as long as they're wanting to play you right wing.

Then he said I told Brendan he'll do a good job no matter where he plays him? This doesn't like a good signing at all. Is he saying he's played 27 games this season? Why is he saying it like it a really bad thing. 27 games is not bad for a 20 year old surely.

He's getting nowhere the right wing though unless Brendan is planning on seeing how he fancies Lustig's position. Big tall defender who has decent balls skills, sounds like a Brendan signing.

I don't understand why Palace paid Leipzieg more than they bought him for when he started 5 games in his first season and when Palace made their interest known he wasn't even making the squad. Wouldn't a player's value fall after that transfer?

If he's not getting a game for those teams it sounds like we're just saying an we loan him and not really fussed if we play him or not. We're paying his wages obviously? What is a £15m Palace player on? £30,000?

As I am sounding overly negative about the transfer policy at the moment even though I agreed with the joke about wrong colour and wrong country because it's true the French signingw have been overall very positive. Ntcham should be playing more forward. I probably should write that last game off as only Callum and Gordon made game changing moments. Some of his saves are brilliant. Jamesy did try and make some breakthroughs but he was straight up the middle and crowded out.

Thinking about Lustig, if we were to buy his quality now we've got to be looking at least £5m players? A player who can defend and penetrate defences like him on form, that's way more than Hendry level. Poor Jack, not his fault we signed him who wouldn't want to play for us under Brendan?

What needs filling this window? A LB squad player. £3m. a RB to replace Mikel who will become the back up. £5m If Dedryk is off then that's quality we're going to miss so £6m Midfield is solid RW is solid LW hmmm Sincy needs a boot up the *, he's huge game changing player and his heart and soul doesn't seem in it. Competition for Sincy £3m. That's a bit cheap but I'd rather have Sincy on form cause that's like a £7m player at least.

So this window to prepare us for the title race and Cup games will cost £17m. That's not too bad cause if well scouted we'll not have to spend that much a window for a while. Summer is usually the best window though isn't it. This is a panic buy window :56:

* is happening now @Notorious :43: This guy does make a lot of transfers, he was a Palace player in the post above the McGhee one and now he's a West Brom player? I like the sound of him being similar in style to Bale. McGhee stressing there is no option to buy. We'll decide that Mark :78:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  13. Keano88

He definitely won’t be playing RB.

Forrest/Sinky/Johnston/Burke

Weah also capable of playing RW/LW.

Morgan - loan
    Hayes - sell/loan

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He's essentially been brought in to replace arzani then do you think?

15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    But Freedman was really making a big deal about it, I mean it does sound very restrictive saying he's only able to play one position? Decent players can surely play a couple positions in the defensive half or forward half.

If he's really only good on the right that would suggest he's not got a left foot at all so that's not suited to left wing play is it? Plus when I picture KT coming back I always see Sincy linking up with him, I'm not sure I've seen Sincy play down the centre but just reading that forward line makes me look forward to to the team coming back because Johnston is a real player I'm sure of it and he would love linking up with both Sincy and Forrest. Shouldn't have subbed him, Eddy needs someone to link up with. Ha ok that's the last time I'm mentioning that * game jeeez it's drag

16. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This is a strange one for me and does question in my mind what their signing policy is. Why pick a young boy who has struggled to justify two sizeable transfer fees and then push him into the couldron at Celtic. Now if they are going to sign about 6 players in the transfer window then you might think why not but if he is one of only 2/3 then you have to question whether we are into making gestures.
    Big gamble for me and I’d be delighted if they have uncovered a gem for at least the next 6 months. Compare it with Sevco and they are signing experience and/or die hards.

clonbhoy and Lilac Wine like this.
  17. JBhoy1967

I think the signing is solid albeit short term. Like others I’m worried by Burke (6 months) and Weah (6 months); I really don’t understand why we don’t EVER strengthen from a position of strength. Sure, both signings may work out and we win the 8... then we’re back to square one. I don’t see us replacing them immediately so then we’d be into a back and forth guessing game in the summer when we COULD be resting - making one or two additions - relaxed.

I guess issue is we never know which one of our players will be sold every summer window - because we’re a selling club. Maybe the board have realised / decided ‘building for the future’ doesn’t work and they instead they need to do ‘what they can when they can’.

It’s sad what we’ve become

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. DaveKing'seye

The no option to buy part of this deal worries me because we end up in a losing position no matter what.

If he comes up here and is pish, then we've wasted money on his wages.

If he comes up here and is immense, he will go back to WBA or be sold for 12 mill to another championship team :39:

19. clonbhoy

I have changed my mind on this one and part of that is I think he will be one of 5/6 to come in. As long as we aren't paying a huge chunk of his wages, a chunk big enough to prevent us arguing with other targets, then it is a no lose situation. He is obviously a talented a lad who has made a couple of ill-advised moves that haven't worked out for him and at 21 this is hardly last-chance saloon, but he is coming here desperate to prove himself. We have been lacking attacking options, especially off the bench, and we could have three new attackers, all with different qualities in over the next couple of days.
    Should they all arrive, I still expect a couple of defenders to come in too and even if one of those is McKenna, even though I don't rate him, we will be a much stronger squad for it. The lack of a real injection of a bit of quality, competition and freshness cost us in the summer, it looks like we are trying to address that now.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Totally agree, mate. If Rodgers has to go (and obviously i hope he doesn't), Lenny would be my first choice; however I wouldn't throw my toys out the pram over Clarke.

For the first time, I'm starting to have strong doubts about reaching 10iar now. :54:

Gyp Rosetti likes this.