1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Offshore

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KingArtur'1, Mar 2, 2019.

Discuss Offshore in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KingArtur'1

Any fellow TC members work offshore?

What do you do, how long have you been offshore and where you at?

I started in 2010 with RBG as a Painter then they were bought out by Stork Technical Services where i worked until last year.

I now work for Aramark as the painting game is too quiet but im constant work with aramark as a steward.

Currently on the Clair Ridge half way through a 3 weeker haha.

2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Never worked offshore, but did FIFO (fly in fly out) work as they call it over here for a few years on mining and civil jobs. Enjoyed it when single, but it's horrific when in a relationship.

Best thing, apart from the $, was getting out and seeing remote Australia on your RDO. Some amazing things to see.

First swing was an 8 weeker, absolutely burst by the end of it.

The lifestyle has been attributed to a lot of suicides of here, some folk just cant adapt to a normal life, some get greedy and others totally lose their mind while stuck up there. You can quite easily tell the ones who have just been up there too long, * from 18 year old to 50 odd, madness man!

3. KingArtur'1

The safety officer on Total's new platform the Culzean jumped off the rig a few weeks back left a note in his room.

Salamis supervisor was on top of the flare stack on the same rig hes no longer offshore i believe.

2&2rotas were fine but 3 weeks takes its toll on anyone especially if your getting a hard time from the mrs etc.

I tried working at home again i was happier in general but my lifestyle ties in with offshore pay and i couldnt hack working for 250 etc a week when i can get the same per day.

So greed got the better of me early doors when i was 20 and no kids.

4. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Say hello to Donald Walker for me. I work on the tiffany as an insulator, 3 and 3 is *!! Been offshore on and off for 5 years almost.

5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

It was 4/1 rosters when I started - That's *! Might only have one RDO in the 4 weeks and then your week off was only really 6 days..

No mater what you do, wether it's 8 days on, 6 days off or 2/2 weeks, the worker will always complain. 2/1 was perfect for me after doing 4/1 and 3/1, but then on the other hand the old man had a cushy supervising job and couldn't hack the 2/1 swings.

6. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Worked offshore for 10 years as an instrument tech working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off then they wanted the 3 and 3 roster that is when I left and got a tech job on the beach .
    Yeah the money is half of what I used to earn but I am a lot happier with life now and so is the wife .
    I know some guys that still work offshore and for service companies and they say the cost cutting is still going on and having major impacts on safety so * offshore , I will stick to working on the beach it’s a lot safer .

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Tune OP.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  8. KingArtur'1

Cant disagree with you mate, my survival is up in may and im done after that.

Not sure what im going to do workwise but fed up with the whole adhoc stuff so at least be home and get my season ticket back

9. KingArtur'1

Tiffany is a good rig by all accounts. Ive only been on the ninian field for CNR

10. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I hope you will get something on the beach and be as happy as me going home every night .
    Just think no more offshore musters or ropey chopper rides .

11. KingArtur'1

Hope so.

Monday was nightmare checked in at bristows at 7 for fixed wing to sumburgh but couldnt get to sumburgh for fog, so sent us to babcock and ended up on a direct flight to clair ridge with a refuel almost 3 hours. Couldnt even see out for fog the whole way and the pilot said he was having one attempt at landing or it was going back to kirkwall in orkney.

Was bricking it aswell nothing worse than a hero pilot

12. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Haven’t heard complimentary things about Babcock as I know a couple of mechanics that work there .
    Stay safe buddy .