1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    How many times has he scored in the last minute this season?

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Oh * you're right mate

3. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    His contribution in terms of points is ridiculous. Even thinking back to the 4-3 Pittodrie game, he gets a goal and two assists in the space of 15 minutes.

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Big game and big moment player.

5. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I think of him as our Roberto Firmino type player, happier to come deep and take the ball to feet rather than getting on the end of things - not that he can’t do that too. Just waiting for him to be paired up with Moanes Dabbur when Marco Rose comes through the door... :fear:

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Similar to Dembele' then. 18 goals so far this season , injured and not picked for a run of games cos burke came in ,3 so far against the huns and a couple in europe.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OF all the players who Neil Lennon has worked with since being appointed interim Celtic manager last month, Odsonne Edouard is perhaps the one who has distinguished himself the most.

The French forward has pitched in with vital late goals in away wins over Hearts and Dundee in the four matches that the Northern Irishman has taken charge of since succeeding his countryman Brendan Rodgers on a temporary basis.

If, then, the Ladbrokes Premiership meeting with Rangers at Parkhead today is level entering the closing stages, as was the case in those tense outings at Tynecastle and Dens Park, Lennon will both hope and expect the £9m man to intervene.

Odsonne can be on the periphery of a game and then all of a sudden catch fire,” he said. “That’s the sort of maverick in him. You always get the feeling he can do something at any given time and that’s the real asset he has. He can produce something out of nothing.”

Edouard certainly has previous form in the Glasgow derby game. He netted a sublime winner for Celtic, who had been reduced to 10 men with the red carding of Jozo Simunovic, on his debut in it at Ibrox last March after coming off the bench in the second-half of an encounter that finished 3-2. He followed that up with a first-half brace in a 5-0 rout at Parkhead the following month that secured a seventh consecutive Scottish title.

So the 21-year-old will not - unlike his opposite number Alfredo Morelos, who has failed to net in seven Old Firm appearances, this afternoon - have any hang-ups about a failure to score entering the latest instalment of the world-famous fixture.

“Odsonne’s had that experience on a few occasions now,” said Lennon. “He knows what it feels like to score. These are the games people remember, these are the games where you write your name in the annals of the club, so hopefully he has plenty more to write.

“That’s always a good thing to have, that ability to rise to this occasion. You need your big players in the big games and at big moments. And he’s certainly done that for me in two of our four games so far.”

Yet, the former midfielder has both played with and coached a few good strikers in his time in the game. Nobody who can count Craig Bellamy, Tony Cottee, John Hartson, David Healy, Emile Heskey, Henrik Larsson and Chris Sutton among his former team mates is going to be easily impressed with a front man no matter how good or important their goals. He believes that Edouard can improve in many areas and is confident that even better times lie ahead in future.

“I’ve been really pleased with his contribution,” he said. “He has really good skills. He’s come up with some really important goals. I’m pleased with his progress and I’m sure the club are as well. But there’s more to come from him. He’s only 21.

“At times he could do a little more physically. The goal he scored two weeks ago was really important psychologically. But can he score more? That may come and his all-round play might get better as well. We’re talking about a player who’s nowhere near his peak yet. Can he be more consistent in his performances? Yes, and we’re hoping that’ll come.

“I see him as a No.9, but there are facets of that position he needs to learn a little bit more. Ideally, we’d prefer him to work more centrally in the process of the team, and play centre forward as much as he can. Physically, he’s a specimen. I don’t think even he knows how strong he can be yet. And he’s a good finisher once he’s in there.”

Lennon, who cost Celtic £5.75m from Leicester City back in 2000 and remains their fourth most expensive acquisition to this day, felt that the double treble winners made a statement of intent when they signed Edouard from Paris Saint-Germain for a record-breaking £9m transfer fee last summer.

He feels the player has handled the pressure that has come with the price tag well and expects his contribution to increase going forward as he matures and becomes more familiar with the particular demands of football on these shores.

“He’s got 18 goals already this season, which is a healthy return,” he said. “In the modern game, the way prices are going everywhere else, then £9m, £10m, it’s not a lot of money. It is for us obviously, but we’re hoping to get that back over the years with what he produces for us.

“I think he’ll develop more. He’s getting adjusted to the British game having come over from France, he doesn’t speak great English, or at least he cracks on he doesn’t. He * his ears up sometimes when he wants to. He’s a very laid-back sort of character.”

10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :giggle1: Kidding on he doesn't understand what folk are saying sometimes is a classic for people speaking a second language. They can blank anything they don't like, 'we told you before the game, don't pretend to be a sniper if you score against the huns.' 'I'm sorry boss, I thought you said it doesn't matter if I pretend or if it's real because they are already dead.' o_O

What I love about him is it seems to be an unorthodox position he plays in, preferring to float about the 20 yard area cause it gives him options, like he can look for runners and create an assist or spot a weakness in defense and with his skill can go through and score himself.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Massive performance needed from him. A goal or two would be lovely but he needs to be up for it for the whole 90 mins.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

The thing with Edouard is he doesn't necessarily need to be on his game for 90mins cause there's always that chance he'll come up with the goods at some point.

What we cannot do today is leave him isolated up top without support trying to do everything on his own, and he needs to stay central more today.

But aye, * it, big Eddy is the * man!!!!!

JML67 likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Mr. Slippyfist

He's a wonderkid on FM19, and he's a wonderkid in my heart.

What a guy.

Usually hate the French, but him and Eddy are ok in my book x

bagforlife and Crilly like this.
  15. Crilly

* super. Great goal and playing well all game, they can't handle him

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Superb run and goal. Been terrorizing the sevco defence every time he's touched the ball.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

He is a big black *.

Nuff said.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Outstanding today. Worked hard and every single ball into feet stuck like glue.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Different class

Tommy25 likes this.