1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Obese people to be refused NHS operations

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Miles Platting, Sep 3, 2016.

Discuss Obese people to be refused NHS operations in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

Obese people will be routinely refused operations across the NHS, health service bosses have warned, after one authority said it would limit procedures on an unprecedented scale.
    Hospital leaders in North Yorkshire said that patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above – as well as smokers – will be barred from most surgery for up to a year amid increasingly desperate measures to plug a funding black hole. The restrictions will apply to standard hip and knee operations.

Not sure where I stand on this, could be a good incentive for them to lose weight, on the other hand wouldn't like them to be suffering pain if an operation would cure it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...mokers-banned-from-all-routine-operations-by/

2. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    The smokers thing makes my blood boil. I dont care what anyone says, the tax they pay on their product more than pays for their treatment whenever it happens. If you die at 85 after 5 years care, or die of emphysema at 64, you still at some point go through Hospital care/treatment, and when your average smoker is paying £2k a year on tax for their *, (20 a day)by the time they get to 60 they have more than paid their way.

3. Mr. Slippyfist

I hope they are gonna start refusing drug addicts and alcoholics and smokers and people with mental disorders as well then.

4. Darnok

Why would they refuse people with mental disorders?

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Well, why not? If they are going to start refusing operations to one type of person because of "funding", why not any type of *?

*, why stop as fatties, why not refuse women, auld * and weans, and gingers.........

6. ThisIsGhod

This is Fascism.

7. Darnok

Because you can't help but be a woman, old or a child. In the main, being fat is wholly dependant on one's diet and a lack of exercise.

8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Should only be a last resort. Imo you get one chance and of you continue to abuse it then I'd refuse treatment.
    If you get liver disease by drinking...show you're willing to change then surgery and stay off the drink.
    If you are obese...show you are losing weight or stick to a diet plan then treatment.
    Same with smoking. Get the treatment and quit.
    I had cancer and it was just * seeing folk with oxygen tanks (flammable) smoking at the doorways.
    Chemo isn't cheap, other treatments aren't cheap, and should be considered a a fresh chance at life and shouldn't be abused.

But I wouldn't flat out refuse treatment in a first basis. Only if there is continued abuse by not stopping what got you there in the first place.
    Was a junky in Pollok who ended up with 2 transplants coz he wouldn't get off the junk. In that case * him. Doesn't deserve it.

9. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

People who wear pyjamas to the shop next please :50:

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Oh right, what if the person has a learning disability where they don't understand what excercise is? Or if the person is depressed oot their *?

11. Markybhoy

Anyone who votes Tory should be refused treatment as well. Fatties>Tories.

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    They're all private treatment then charge it to the taxpayer through expenses.
    Sneaky wee tory bassas

13. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Just refuse everybody,they would save a fortune lol!

14. Darnok

The first three words of the sentence you emboldened are a signpost that what follows them is a generalisation, but one that the author, me, recognises there are exceptions to.

As an aside, I think someone who feels depressed really can't use that as an excuse for being fat. Moreover, they should absolutely exercise as it is the cheapest and easiest way to feel better both psychologically and physiologically.

15. Al Bootyerbaws

People who do the duck face selfies should be put down.

16. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Well said Al Bootyerbaws!

17. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    About * time. Chicks who are getting * implants because they are depressed can * off too.

18. Bozza

Fav Celtic Player:
    K T
    So are they going to stop treating anorexia and other eating disorders.
    All they've got to do is eat and they'll be fine.

Woman have gotten breast implants on the NHS but they won't help out anyone who is overweight.
    What a disgrace of a world we live in.

19. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    It is infuriating to see people fritter away their own health, but it isnt always simple. Many people are weak, have nothing going for them in life etc etc, and to turn them away to die for not having the strength to quit * or food or drugs is pretty brutal. For many people, drugs and food are their wretched lives....it is their escape from misery, even if their addiction only exacerbates the condition.

Clearly there is only so much money to go around, but i think it is too easy to pick on the weak as a scapegoat and means to save money. This nonsense in Scotland that is free prescriptions, should be cut well before any help to the desperate. (im not against free prescriptions for those who cant or struggle to pay)

20. Mr. Slippyfist

I see.

Would you say that to a person, if for talking sake, they were overweight and the root of the problem was maybe they were/are comfort eating because, let's say, they have been victims of sexual abuse or something?

"Sorry pal, you might have been a peado's play thing, but that's nae excuse for having a BMI over 30".