1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nicest/Best areas to live in Glasgow?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by 67MB, Feb 21, 2019.

Discuss Nicest/Best areas to live in Glasgow? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

There was a homeless unit literally round the corner from the stadium. Believe me, the absolute dregs of society lived there.

I definitely wouldn't fancy having a nice apartment near there because the mad squad would be trying your windaes every other night.

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Patrick is a shout. Close enough to the west end to give you a decent postcode but * enough to get a decent abode for your money.

3. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

My mum said the same thing as she grew up in Possil.

As I said, with Firhill it's all students that live there now, kinda similar to dennistoun. When we first moved there from the mt Florida the rent was 600pcm.
    Checked back recently to see if the old flat (the Firhill one) was still on the market out of curiosity and it was up for over 700pcm.

The minute you cross the canal to the other side of Maryhill Road rent looks around 800+pcm. They really cling to that kelvinside postcode....

No wonder folks struggle to save for mortgage deposits these days.

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

Aye also stayed further out in Scotstoun which was not bad either.

Just had a look at flats where my old one was on Gardner street, I paid £550 a month for a one bed about 7 years ago and now looking at it you’re talking £750+

5. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Its all tht social cleansing these days,mixing the rich poor thts why places like maryhill n gorbals have expensive gaffs.Crime rates go down,glasgow look nicer.But the downside is the character n soul gets ripped out the communities n we get stuck with all the bellends n straight pegs.There doing the same in harlem,bronx new york.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Completely dependant on why you’re moving to Glasgow; work, study etc... and where you need to be close to to achieve it.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The gap in property prices between Glasgow and Edinburgh is mental considering you could realistically commute from one to the other on a daily basis. For the same price as a two bedroom flat in Leith you could land a 6/7 place in the south side - one of the the nicer areas around Strathbungo too. Both cities have seen prices rise steeply in recent years. It’s nice to have if you own a place, the regional cities in the UK have been left behind over the past 20 years or so as London enjoying a massive housing boom.

Assuming you’re living by yourself and working in the city centre, I would be tempted to just stay around the Merchant City area. You’re right in the centre of Glasgow, surrounded by nice architecture, plenty of bars and restaurants and good transport links to the rest of the city. The West End gets a lot of stick for its yuppie/studenty types, but it’s probably the nicest area of the city for a mix public space and bars/restaurants.

Basically Glasgow is a city where £750 per month still goes quite far - you’ll have your pick of places depending on what suits your preference.

8. stew37

Prices in Partick have gone bananas. I used to sublet a gaff off my pal that he got from the housing down there, was 380 a month through Partick housing (he was working abroad so rather than give it up I rented it for a while); have seen similar flats on same street for rent privately for close to double that.

9. stew37

Aye it's mental. The new gaffs theyre building down the butney in Maryhill are costing close to a quarter million.

10. 67MB

Thanks for all the replies :50::50:

To be more specific, I would be living with my girlfriend but we would want somewhere with 2 bedrooms and a bit more space than her current flat in Merchant City. We were thinking if maybe we moved say 20 minute walk outside the centre, we could get a decent sized 2 bed flat? Just want to be sure of areas to stay away from.

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

To be fair mate, you are never more than 10 minutes from a shitehole in Glasgow. Patrick is a good shout. I lived in Blantyre for 20 years and found it to be fairly quiet. Lots of murders mind you but no neds roaming the streets.

12. M 67

It is murder capital of Lanarkshire - mental for a relatively wee place. Although Holyton is close behind it these days

Sean Daleer likes this.
  13. Buster

Patrick????? Your tonic is kicking in nicely mate :giggle1::giggle1::giggle1:

Sean Daleer and MagnificentSeven like this.
  14. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Wouldn’t really say anywhere is unsafe.

I’ve lived in EK since the day I was born (27 Years) & I’ve only been stabbed twice...

15. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    FFS £700pm to stay in Firhill. The west end is not half getting bigger :56::56:

No wonder people are making a packet off having buy to let properties.

16. Dhan

Finnieston or Kelvinhall

Personally I prefer Milton .....Never a dull moment here

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Just rent a pad in Bearsden for £100 pm spend the rest on massive speakers and belt out the Rebs as you paint your house green white and orange.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The only pad you would get in Bearsden for £100 per month would be an actual pad.

light-sanitary-pad-500x500.jpg

Artorias and Devlin like this.
  19. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

That looks cosy enough.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Needs a lick of paint. Crimson should do it.

Idioteque likes this.