1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Feb 1, 2019.

Discuss Next Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Do you know what they pay in wages out of interest?

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We shouldn't..

McChiellini.. likes this.
  3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I get why everyone is worried though and even though we will have a good core we'll still have a lot of work to do going into one of the biggest seasons in our history(If we win the league)

Its a success in that plugged the gaps we have for the next 4 month's but I'd rather we had signed permanent players. We should be spending far far more to get ten in a row in my opinion.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Looked back at a comment I posted after the first Salzburg game not sure if it's 16/17 or 17/18 figures:

'ours £52m (€58.8m) annually, theirs is €60m.'

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So you’ve acknowledged in your own post that they do trust him with money. Loans aren’t free you know.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Our defensive recruitment has been a shambles, shortsighted, ineffective, incompetent, negligent.. call it what you will.

But I'm not sure a Club that has the backing of Red Bull and a Sister Club that plays in the German League is a comparison that's that fair tbh..

Xatraps, StPauli1916 and Seán Mac D like this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We will win the league, there’s no if about it.

There will always be a lot of work to do on the squad tbh, even after the invincibles season, we had a lot of work to do to in the transfer market.

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I get your point, in previous years they've possibly had the benefit of a franchise scouting policy where they get players that aren't quite ready for Leipzig yet. That said UEFA conducted a review last year and made them change the management structure so that there was no collusion.

I only used Salzburg as an example to counter specific arguments about quality always costing upwards of £5 million or players not wanting to come to lesser leagues. I don't want us to replicate the Salzburg model, given the size of our supporter base we have so much more potential than them but there are definitely lessons we could learn.

Agree with @Senna s1979 's earlier point about trusting the youth. I think too many are binned far too early. Liam Henderson and Anthony Ralston are 2 more recent examples that seemed to catch the ire of our support. I'd much rather see our youths get a chance rather than signing the likes of Hayes, Hendry etc.

shaunm and JC Anton like this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don’t really GAF what you were laughing at, you’ve backed down now I’ve called you out on it.

How much are you willing to bet that list of players don’t all leave in the summer?

Why would the club prepare to lose Lustig and Weah, for example, knowing they’ll still be at the Club? Just examples but you get my point.

I’d suggest this Window was more important than the summer, noted by Rodgers, as players need time to bed in for the Qualifiers. Which he hasn’t done with a centre half.

10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

But we don’t sign these 5 million pound players with 30k a week. Maybe a few of them 2 or 3 and then young talented players around them.

We have a mound of cash sitting in the bank doing * all, so should we just give up? Games a boogy cause players cost too much? Our scouting is * dire at the moment. We need to bring in people who can spot talents all over the world, plenty of teams do it with a less budget than us.

The club has never build on a position of strength, ever! That needs to change, can I ask do you think it’s acceptable for the club not to back our manager with the players he really wanted? McGinn and the Italian lad who signed for Valencia in the summer.

Our net spend since Rodgers has taken over has been Zero, we have not been in better shape with money but gambling like the board did in the summer cost us champions league money.

Our current model means we carry a * load of deadwood that needs to change I would rather sign that extra bit of quality for the 5 million and 30k a week than sign 5 or 6 players 1/2 million and then have them on 10k a week, that works out even more money.

We signed 3 players who have gone back out on loan, grander the lad from the Ukraine looks decent but sounds like Rodgers had nothing to do with his signing..... which is worrying.

The other two Americans, one is 22 who needs more development and I don’t know nothing about the other one. They could be both * and again wasting a wage.

Weah is on loan for 6 months, there is no agreement for him to stay longer it’s just fans hoping that’s the case.

Burke the same and the German right back has it been reported for sure he has a clause in his deal that we can sign him? How much is it?

Most people want the club to do the right thing and get what we need in the main transfer window instead of coming out with the same scripted * they do each window.

Come the summer we will need a whole new back four, 2 centre half’s right back and left back cover for KT.

Another holding type player cause Brown should be used as back up and possibly another winger cause the lad from City is injured and we don’t know if the Thumb will get his head back into the game and need another forward.

But we will end up panic buying * and loan more players.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. Jeremie Frimpong

Well, it is pertinent.

I have backed down from nothing, and you have called me out on nothing.

Why would I bet money on an outcome that I have never proposed, Paul?

Idioteque likes this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Which he hasn’t done with the majority of his signings.

As it stands, right now, that’s what we need to prepare for. Lustig, we either let go or put the year option on which we haven’t done yet.

Weah is a 6 month loan, to be assessed at the end of the season, now he might be here next season but we need to prepare for him not to be so we don’t get caught short if he isn’t.

We need to be proactive. This window was more important, definitely, but we haven’t prepared in this window for the qualifiers and left us with a lot of plahers leaving at the end of the season. So the summer window becomes even more important.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Season 19/20:

Goalkeeper
    Gordon*
    Bain

Right Back
    Ralston
    Perez

Center Back
    Simunovic
    Ajer
    Hendry*
    Compper*

Left Back
    Tierney
    Gutman

Central Midfielder
    Bitton
    Eboue*
    Ntcham
    Brown
    Benyu*
    McGregor
    Christie
    Rogic

Right Wing
    Forrest
    Arzani**
    Shved

Left Wing
    Sinclair
    Johnston

Striker
    Griffiths
    Edouard
    Bayo

* Not good enough, must be replaced in summer
    ** Long term loan

Need GoalKeeper, 2 center backs a box to box midfielder.
    4 players desperately needed in the summer. That's me being fair to Shved, Gutman and Perez assuming they will do a turn for us next season.

14. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    You never know stranger things have happened and it's Celtic it's not over until the names on the trophy. :56:

That's not really an excuse the fact is we should be being managed so much better.

15. Paul McAuley

A would actually smash the transfer record for Benko. Dont see why not. Would rather spend 15million on him than Disco lights and hotels.

scuzzy likes this.
  16. oh bhoy

that's what should be done, if the clowns had took £9 million for that other useless * Boyata it would of went a long way to getting a quality cb in

17. Eazey

Meh, im just no that worried. Call me an optimist?

18. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    A lot of posts in this thread and the transfer window thread saying they're happy/satisfied with the window but then bizarrely adding comments about keeping Weah and Toljan, they're not staying. I think if you're measuring the success of the window on this premise you should revise it.
    It's a good window short term which should help see us across the line this year.
    But at 5pm on Saturday 25th May just after we've wrapped up the treble treble all our short term moves end and we're back to square one regarding recruitment and squad trimming. First qualifier 9/10th July.
    Sorry @\o/ to quote you specifically but you just happen to be the most recent to suggest this about Weah. Can someone point me to where this has been confirmed because I dont recall coming across official confirmation anywhere just speculation by the fans.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

There’s a chance of Weah tbf, given his age and who his parent club are.. on the other hand Burke can’t be spared for any length of time by WBA.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We’ll limp from window to window unless we actually get people in with a plan.