1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s very possible. Managers aren’t judged on 6 results in Europe, they are judged on their entire body of work.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's been said before but given the best job he could get after leaving us was a shambolic Bolton, then Hibs (who were in the Championship at the time), it appears he isn't rated all that highly outwith some Celtic fans.

I think it's completely fair to call him average. That's what he is. MacEwan's right - a manager has to be judged on their body of work as opposed to a select few games within a 2 or 3 month period.

Raoul Duke and MacEwan like this.
  3. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You might be right but I’ve always thought he was overlooked for bigger jobs than Bolton directly after leaving us because of his “fiery” nature in the past, more so than his actual managing ability. He alluded to it probably costing him work himself only recently.

I still personally believe he could manage in the premier league no bother, or at the very least a decent side in the championship.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They ain’t like Celtic mate :50:

5. Jeremie Frimpong

What clubs are, then?

Do you think that it is more difficult to take Celtic to the Champions League Round of 16 than APOEL (who actually went a step further)?

jordan_ likes this.
  6. Keano88

:56:

Mr Shelby and Seán Mac D like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We’re unique:36:

Nah, that was exceptional from APOEL. I’m not going over all this again, my rather flippant point was people seem to be judging from tiny, small parts of an overall career. Rather than over it all.

I think the best judge of how he is as a manager at Celtic, is by focusing on how good he was when he managed Celtic. Others feel like it’s Bolton or Hibs.

Fair enough. It’s been done to death on here.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. oh bhoy

Aye but people are focusing on how he has managed Celtic the past few months and the football has been shocking,he froze out all the loan players and got the team to start hoofing the ball again.
    whoever decided to get martin o Neill to speak on his behalf must think people are easily swayed ,people were singing his name during the Scottish cup final as a thanks and goodbye

9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If it's so easy to do, why have Dundee Utd still not been able to do it? Why couldn't Newco Rangers do it first time?

Anyway, as Devlin says, we all saw him here for years and can judge him on his time here. I don't know where this narrative about him being a bang average manager comes from; but I wish Celtic fas would stop buying into it.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It’s nothing to do with “buying” into a narrative.

We can all think for ourselves. And based on his managerial career so far, there’s little to suggest he’s anything more than an average manager.

seanm likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thats true we have all saw him here for years and people are rightly drawing their own conclusions from that.

His first spell wasn't all roses. As Sean says above there is no narrative here.

And for what its worth I've not been banging on about not wanting him here. I don't because I have what I feel are valid reasons for not. But hes here so we have to back him.

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Because Dundee United aren’t a good side. Hibs were always going to come back up. Like I said he had 1 point more than Stubbs got the previous 2 years (who also done far better in the cups), so this idea that he dragged them out of the Championship is wrong, he just joined them at the right time once Hearts and Rangers were gone. It was a far tougher league that previous 2 years. Rangers failed the first time because they weren’t better than Hearts or Motherwell. Pretty simple stuff.

If any other manager had done that, would you still think he deserves the Celtic job? I don’t think so.

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Young player of the year based on a goal in one game and a manager appointed based on one season 2 years ago:56::56:

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Generally? It comes from Jim Traynor mate

15. Jeremie Frimpong

:rofl:

16. jordan_

Your the sort of guy who drops the toast butter side down 9 times out of 10 but always remembers the one time it doesn't, aren't you :56:|

The only thing he achieved was the last 16, which was a fluke IMO. The following season in the group stage: played 6 lost 5, says a lot

The league was so poor then it was hardly an achievement winning it, the fact he could never do a treble says a lot. Do people seriously forget about some of the cup games we lost?!

The guys a legend for celtic but he just isnt a good manager sadly!

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A fluke :56:

Flukey *, getting 10 points in the Group Stage and having the most goals ever scored for a Scottish Club in the CL.

A fluke :56:

Sean Daleer, Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm definitely not one of Lennon's happy clappers but us getting to the last 16 wasn't a fluke, 2 wins against spartak, 2 decent games against Benfica, that win against Barca and narrowly losing to Barca away from home. I can concede that the win against Barca could be considered a 'fluke' due to Forster playing out his skin and an element of luck from Xavi's error. In regards to the season after that, we got an even harder group with a hugely improved Barca team to the one we played previously after we basically had the spine of our team ripped out and not replaced. Lennon knew what he was doing here in Europe, you just need to look at the 11-12 Europa group stages managed 2 draws against Udinese who were 3rd in the Serie A at the time, played well against Atletico who won the Europa that year and managed a win and a draw against Rennes.

I think he done the bare minimum domestically when he was here, and considering there wasn't a team anywhere near as strong as us I would have expected him to have done better, some of the cup defeats were shocking and seemed to show his teams often lacked bottle in games we were the favourites. With the media in overdrive trying to put as much pressure on us as possible to stop the ten then we could see that happen again.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    On the last point, he got it over the line in both the Scottish Cup and the League with the media AND our own * fans going for his throat

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don’t see the merit in debating the pros and cons of Lenny, it’s a waste of energy.

He’s here now and it’s time to back him.

Lenny leading us to the 10, is the stuff of nightmares for them..

Hopefully the signings start to come, imminently.