Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DamianWayneCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

Only read a couple of pieces by this John James character, but by * that piece is a pile of pointless pish.

Summed up - Celtic lost a high end manager, replaced with average manager that may get the job done, if not in a grand way.

And to title it "Moneyball at Celtic", think he dedicated all of 2 lines to the actual theory of "Moneyball" in relation to Celtic. And at that, I'm not entirely sure he gets what the Moneyball theory actually is. It isn't just buy low, sell high. It's about scouting for the player that is undervalued - perhaps isn't the full package to the big glamour teams - but you can get cheap and get them to do the one (or two) things you need them to do specifically, good. Take Rogic as an example, he would be undervalued by the bigger clubs because his pace and fitness levels aren't up there, so we are able to pick him up for a cheaper price, snag him early etc. We use him to great effect. The fact that we may make money off him, isn't the principle of Moneyball, it's the idea of getting someone in who is undervalued, but performs to your specific need. You then find 11 players who can all do their one job for you team as perfectly as you can, and you get a winning side. You don't neccesarily have great rounded players, but the team in the moment makes a good side.

Slaw, freitassen and King of Kings like this.
  2. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    John James in talking * shocker...

Moneyball :rofl:

Blochairnbhoy and DamianWayneCSC like this.
  3. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Off topic but why would Stevie Woods be leaking the team?

Xatraps likes this.
  4. Cringer67

Turning on the fans now. It’s not exactly ideal is it. I was on the fence when it came to Lennon getting the gig full time but I just think it’s in the clubs best interest to appoint someone fresh now. It’s quite clear the fans are divided on this and with him now slapping some of the fans down, it’s not going to end well. If he’s appointed full time, then anything other than a near perfect start to next season will result in fan and player mutiny. We are not in a position to allow this.

5. Mr. Slippyfist Gold Member Gold Member News Writer

It was only the parts underlined that interested me, somewhat...

DamianWayneCSC likes this.
  6. King of Kings Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think people are reading into this a bit too much. To me it says one thing - we will on occasion lose to rangers, and we don't need to go into meltdown when this happens. We play them at least 4 times a season, most typically 5/6 times. It doesn't matter how far ahead we are in terms of finances etc; probability alone dictates that we will lose now and again.

None of this should excuse the performance in the last game - we were horrendous. That hasn't been a feature of our play that's been limited to Lennon however. The thing to keep in mid is that we've won the vast, vast majority of these fixtures over the past few years. It's been a period of dominance that's not likely to be repeated if we're being honest. Now and again, they'll beat us. We don't need to * the bed when they do, particularly when the game in question comes after the league has been wrapped up.

None of that should be used as an excuse for the players, who clearly didn't want it as much, Lennon who clearly got the team selection wrong, or the board who absolutely need to provide funds to strengthen this summer, but some perspective is needed. Overall, a treble treble ain't such a bad thing.

7. DamianWayneCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, I went a bit off tangent there :56:

Can definitely see he is favouring some players over others. The sudden drop of Sinclair - though not completely unwarrented - seems a bit cruel, more so when he would have been the more obvious start on the left last weekend.

8. Murph-E Gold Member Gold Member

"To play football, the Glasgow Celtic way"

"We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football."

Strachan, Deila and end of Rodgers being criticised for being poor to watch.

Why do some people give Lennon a complete free pass on this? Terrible football, * all goals.

9. LectersLuncheon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I absolutely love Lenny. He bleeds green.

But * if I have a clue as to why he thinks its appropriate to hearken back to bad ol' days as some sort of excuse for last sunday. We're not in the bad ol days son. We're in the * glory days. 8 titles on the spin and a chance to make it a treble treble... unheard of anywhere in modern europe. We're financially * light years ahead of our closest rivals who are a tribute band to a dead team...

but more importantly...

You lost a game to a rookie manager leading a band of journey men, bosmans, binmen and has beens.

Slippy g * * Lenny tactically. He should put his hands up and admit it, not hide behind past pains.

Dont * on my feet and tell me I'm lucky, I could be getting my face * on instead.

Slaw, DoTheBroony, freitassen and 2 others like this.
  10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Looking back to the early 90s and saying " ah well its better than that " is a * worrying mindset. How about constantly trying to raise standards and never settling?

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  11. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Love Lennon and I'm grateful that he stepped up when the rat * off but we need to move forward as a club and Lennon certainly isn't the answer imo.

Also find his recent comments strange, basically patronising the fans with the 'remember the 90s' patter. Times have changed, we are the undisputed top dogs in the country, we're in the cusp of a treble treble so the bar has been raised from the 90s.

12. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Completely agree with Lennon's comments.I've experienced the horrors of 90's.A true nightmare. New generations have no clue.All they know is comfort. Grettings from Sarajevo :fear:

MacDanny likes this.
  13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont think we have achieved the level of performances we should have throughout the whole season, but saying Lennon has a losers mentality is nonsense.

Again, he took over from us from Mowbray and turned a mediocre side into one a winning one. Then Deila came in and took us backwards again.
    Lennon hasnt done the best, but he hasnt had a transfer window to make his mark on the team and he has weathered a storm for us when we needed him.

Im not saying he should get the job but people should remember he was able to give us last 16 in the CL when Rodgers couldnt.

Mince.Charming and King of Kings like this.
  14. Keano88 Geez a treble treble..

If the interim was a non-Celtic man then there wouldn’t be any disagreement.
    • Outplayed for parts against a 10 men hun team at home and outplayed the entire game at their pitch.
    • 11 goals in 10 premiership games with the best squad in the country.
    • He’s made changes which do not suit the personnel we have. (Cross after cross)
    • Lack of in-game tactical changes and poor subs when things aren’t going our way.

markybhoy1976 and Murph-E like this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We need a cool head and organization, the players need guidance and leadership, so much work has to be done over the summer, it's a massive job.

eire4 likes this.
  16. johnnybhoy777

If the interim was a non-Celtic man then there wouldn’t be any disagreement.
    • Outplayed for parts against a 10 men hun team at home and outplayed the entire game at their pitch.
    • 11 goals in 10 premiership games with the best squad in the country.
    • He’s made changes which do not suit the personnel we have. (Cross after cross)
    • Lack of in-game tactical changes and poor subs when things aren’t going our way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think we have achieved the level of performances we should have throughout the whole season, but saying Lennon has a losers mentality is nonsense.

Again, he took over from us from Mowbray and turned a mediocre side into one a winning one. Then Deila came in and took us backwards again.
    Lennon hasnt done the best, but he hasnt had a transfer window to make his mark on the team and he has weathered a storm for us when we needed him.

Im not saying he should get the job but people should remember he was able to give us last 16 in the CL when Rodgers couldnt.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

both of these posts are correct

17. \o/

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think people think we’re an easier job than we actually are mate.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  18. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Regardless of the league position when he walked through the door it was a difficult job because we'd just lost our manager out of the blue. The wheels could quite easily have come off for the rest of the season but they didnt.

Nobody gives him any credit for keeping us in the cup and getting the league put to bed. I couldn't give a toss about the standard of play - the job was to deliver title number 8 and hopefully the treble, treble. He's 90 minutes away from doing so and I for one am grateful to him for it.

19. clonbhoy

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Lennon said, it was who said it. If it was Neil Lennon the pundit, I would agree with it, but it was Lennon the interim manager that said it. It gives credence to the view that he is out of his depth since coming back, regardless of whether that is true or not, it was incredibly naive of him.

DoTheBroony likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    In every which way this is the biggest summer probably since after the Mowbray fiasco IMHO. There could and probably should be a lot of player turnover with most of that turnover being for the exit door. We will have to actually spend some decent money this summer as the team needs refreshing and flat out needs some quality added and we have to get it right when it comes to who will lead.

Xatraps and The Prof like this.