1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I would too and think he'd be good *if* he can get his head right. I dont think hed come to us.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I can only speak for myself and say that I'm not. Lennon is not my preferred candidate.

I just find it bizarre that some are implying he deserves no credit for our good results but all the blame for our bad performances/results. He's either responsible or he isn't.

The real moving of the goalposts are those that suggest the above.

Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He knows them inside out?

Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion after watching them humiliate us on Sunday and almost get a point with 10 men the previous game against them.

Based on those two displays it’s hard to see us beat them 3 times a season.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Something to think about to put the “another mans team” talk to bed.

Lennon came in after Mowbray and won every remaining league game with another mans team. I believed he deserved it then.

However, that was a long time ago. I don’t believe he’s improved and I don’t believe he’s the man to take us forward.

5. angusceltic67

W1 L1 is the bare form, the game we lost was meaningless lge wise.

But this other mans team stuff, it's relevant because Lennon as manager would have a different team on the park, after that then it's fair to judge IMO.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He has got credit for our good results. I'm saying the "other mans team" stuff is being overused when the team was already dominating the league, points/trophies wise.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He gets let off because the league has already been won? I guarantee you wouldn’t be saying it’s meaningless if he’d won it.

Tim-Time 1888 and Officer Doofy like this.
  8. Keano88

It was meaningless in regards to winning the league but we clearly sent a team out to try and win that game and we were an embarrassment.

Lennon will take a lot of the blame for how we set up and for not making in-game changes when things weren’t going right.

We took players off and replaced like for like. No change in formation or fuckall, just stuck to the same plan that wasn’t working from minute 1.

If that isn’t a worry for you then fair enough.

Scotia and Officer Doofy like this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The game on Sunday had no relevance to the title or league positions, but it was by no means meaningless. Games against the huns are never meaningless, and you can bet Lenny was telling the players the same thing. It was a huge game for him, personally.

We've played them twice since he came in and we needed a late winner against 10 men the first time, and they played us off the park the other day. That doesn't make the think he can beat them 3 times a season.

He might have another team on the park, but that's sort of what worries me. His big change since coming in has been to make Hayes a regular starter to whip in cross after cross. If that's a sign of things to come then * that.

Keano88 and The IRA like this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, see that works. He came in and took over another mans team that was failing. He turned it around.

It's the complete opposite of what's happened this time.

MacEwan likes this.
  11. Celtic-Rovers

Are people calling the game on Sunday meaningless because we lost ?
    No game against them is "meaningless". Simple as.

Xatraps likes this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It really isn't. We've won the League and are in the final of the Cup. Nae need for the hysterics.

13. angusceltic67

I know, 90 mins away from an historic TT, you would think folks would be in better form.

Gabriel likes this.
  14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Excuse us for wanting the best for our club.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:43:

Are you inferring I don't?

My point was made to @Officer Doofy who said that Lennon has taken another man's team that works and has it failing. Which is patently nonsense as we won the League last week and are in the final of the Scottish Cup.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We’ve declined since he came in. It’s a fact. We were 8 points clear when he came in, if we hadn’t won the league from there it would have been one of the most monumental failures in history. So I’m not going to make him out to be some sort of saviour for getting us over the line with a squad that’s more than capable and we’re on form when he came in.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm certainly not making him out to be a saviour. You're reading things that I haven't wrote.

The performances have declined, that's unquestionable but a drop in performances and failing are 2 entirely different things. We have won the League and stand a very good chance of winning the Scottish Cup, it's the opposite of failing.

The thread is just going round in circles. I've tried to stay out of it but I obviously couldn't help myself today and had to jump in.

The football has been underwhelming for the most part, Sunday was the wrong team, the players selected badly let us down, Lennon was too slow to change things when it evidently wasn't working. But to suggest he has failed since he's came in or that he deserves zero credit for our League/Cup wins but all the blame for Sunday is a ridiculous stance.

Gabriel likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yes it is.

We got better when he took over from Mowbray.

We’ve got worse since he took over from Rodgers. There’s no hysterics there. It’s a fact.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yes.

The same people who would use it as another reason to hire Lenny had we won the game.

Celtic-Rovers and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Nobody has said he deserves zero credit, but he certainly doesn’t deserve much of it.

The players deserve the majority of it along with the staff who have been left from the Rodgers reign because they’ve had to deal with it.

We had one hand on the league title when Rodgers left and we were on good form. Lennon didn’t come in and turn anything around, he came in and we got worse.

I’m not going to give someone too much credit for something they were supposed to do.

I’m 99% sure that John Kennedy could have done the same.

I’ve given him credit for the cup games, however he still needs to win the final to cement that.

Celtic-Rovers likes this.