1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Re-makes

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Lemmykilmister, Aug 10, 2012.

Discuss Movie Re-makes in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lemmykilmister

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/

someone sent me this list earlier of 50 upcoming film re-makes some I agree with others i wish would be left alone, what is everyone's opinion on this ?

should classics like the warriors, the crow, scarface etc be left alone or can a modernised version improve them ?

2. Seosamh Máirtín

I cannot stand remakes, such as 'the Three Stooges' and 'Let Me In' ones, recently. I just will not watch them. * me off.

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Many remakes are so inferior to the original, but occasionally they do something new, revisiting source material... films like the Italian Job & Oceans Eleven most definately do not fall into the latter category...

Looking at the proposed list of remakes the only one that really stands out as could do well as a remake is the Phantom Tollbooth. The animation in the original does date it quite badly & given the astounding advances made in animation, I am really quite excited about the possibilities that a remake of this film could hold.

That aside, I think most of those films either shouldn't be touched because the originals are definitive, but there are a couple where the premise was so bad the first tiem around that I would've thought they are poison pills, doomed to fail again.

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

Does no harm having a remake it doesn't do anything to the original film and you never know they might end up being well worthy films

Robocop
    The warriors
    Short circuit

To name a few will be interesting all the films mentioned on the list have a kind of feel to them that will be probably impossible to recapture but with today's technology in cinema they good be good films.

5. Seosamh Máirtín

Has anyone seen the recent 'Total Recall' re-make. That's an odd one, because as far as I was concerned, the original wasn't very good. This should be a better film.

6. TimFloyd Gold Member

Original total recall was brilliant!

Dammit cohagen give d people d air!!!

7. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys

* off!!!

8. TheBatPencil

There's two reasons for this.

1. We live in an age where nostalgia for 80s/90s American pop culture is at a high note. Films and TV shows that had an impact on people as they're growing up in that time are filtering through again now - mostly because that generation are now making all the films.

2. Making a blockbuster film is really * expensive and if you don't get a solid profit in return then you're humped. Remakes of what is already popular is just a safer bet than putting a lot of money into something completely new (unless the people behind it happen to be in league with Chris Nolan, who is now one of the few people in the business who can get away with doing whatever he wants).

9. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Looking though the list there are more than a few that were less than successful the first time around, so this is not always the case, but I take your point.

10. Matt_20

ONLY 90s KIDS WILL GET THIS

But seriously, sadly you're right.

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Very few remakes can match up to the originals.

12. Sonny Crockett

Fav Celtic Player:
    Alan Stubbs/Jackie Mac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Billy Bhoys
    Would rather have a sequel than a remake.

13. monthehoops1888

They have ran out of ideas now remakes are never as good as the originals....

14. MonitorBhoy

What's the point in remaking Oldboy?!

It's only 9 years old... it's not as if the original is lacking anything, either.

It was the same with Troll Hunter. It's as if they are just pandering to people who don't like subtitles, but really want to watch the movie.

15. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    How can you remake lethal Weapon...unless its Gibson and Glover it aint Lethal Weapon. Same for Schwarzenegger in Commando and Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone.

These films should be left alone as I just don't see how a remake with different actors would be an improvement....A lot of 80s nostalgia films work because they have that 80s vibe to them (old cars and bad haircuts)....bring them up to date and they just don't compare imo.

16. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    All movie remakes are *. Cape Fear being the exception to prove the rule.

17. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) is better then the original from 1951

Dawn Of The Dead remake is not as great as the original, but a very good movie nonetheless.

18. Ruxin

Went and seen this in the GFT last night as part of the late night classics, forgot how unintenionally funny it was.

"See you at the Party Victor!!!" or "Consider this a divorce" two great lines.

19. TheBatPencil

Not necessarily.

"A Fistful of Dollars" and "The Magnificent Seven", two of the greatest films of all time, are remakes of Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" and "The Seven Samurai" respectively.

"The Fly" is a remake of the 1956 film of the same name.

"Scarface" was a remake of the 1932 version.

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956) is an example of a director (Alfred Hitchcock) remaking his own film 22 years later and doing it better.

20. Lemmykilmister

There is quite a few on this list which could maybe benefit from more modern filming techniques and with the addition of cgi etc would make a huge difference but others where it is totally unnecessary to touch other than to bring it to another audience i suppose but a well publicised remaster and re-release of a lot of these would do that. just directors running out of ideas i suppose...