1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Most Underrated Players Ever

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Liam Scales, Mar 11, 2017.

Discuss Most Underrated Players Ever in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Cavani is never better than Benzema for me..

Swap them about and Benzema would kill it for Psg and Cavani would be getting the white hanky treatment for choking another sitter..

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Completely agree.

Benzema is actually underrated, in my opinion. Obviously overshadowed by Ronaldo and Bale (because he's British), and he doesn't have Suarez-like numbers in terms of goals. But he is a fantastic player. Suits the way Madrid play down to the ground.

I suppose the fact he is still their number 1 striker, although Morata may be changing that these days, proves his quality.

3. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Same here.

4. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Kakha kaladze

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Was talking about how elite a striker I think Benzema is last night in the champs league thread. I think he's a brilliant striker..

If you watch Real enough you'll notice he always tries to slip Ronaldo in for chances. Very skillful. Brilliant touch. Unselfish and can finish..

Think he had a falling out didn't he with the national team and some personal stuff going on but he's still the main striker at Madrid in my opinion..

He'd tear it up in England if he ever was tempted. I mean absolutely kill it..

Officer Doofy likes this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, unselfish is a good word to describe him. He knows he isn't the main man but still does a great job.

Has everything you would want in a lone striker. Pace, strength, skill, hold up play, finishing etc.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Spot on bud..

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    His record against top teams is excellent though 70 goals in 135 games against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Villarreal, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Fiorentina, Monaco, Lyon, Marseille, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. 6 cup finals scored in out of 7. 25 goals in 44 CL games in his career. Also averages about a goal a game against sides like Shakhtar Donetsk, Dnipro, Benfica, Ajax, PSV, Basel, Olympiacos, Anderlecht etc has 14 goals in 15 games against those teams.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Cavani is an outstanding forward, madness how someone can see it totally differently. Not saying the people who don't rate him are wrong it's just mad how differently people see the game.

I'd have him as one of the top 4 or 5 strikers in the world. His movement and link up play is different class, and it's a bit of a myth that he always misses sitters. Incredibly clinical at Napoli especially in the big games and his workrate and team play is right up there with the best I've seen.

ILoveTheCeltic likes this.
  10. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Interesting actually to compare the goal records between Cavani and Benzema.

Benzema has 53 goals in 158 games against Barcelona, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal, Bayern, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, PSG, Monaco, Lyon, Marseille, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Juventus, AC Milan, Roma, Fiorentina and Napoli.

Cavani has 70 goals in 135 games against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Villarreal, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Fiorentina, Monaco, Lyon, Marseille, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Cavani also has 9 goals in 7 Cup finals, managing to score in 6 of the 7. Benzema has 0 goals in 6 Cup finals.

But Cavani isn't really considered a big game player.

Benzema has a pretty bad record against Atletico Madrid, only scored 3 goals in 25 games against them, obviously they are a solid defensive side but that is still quite bad.

Their CL records are:
    Benzema 52 goals in 92 games
    Cavani 25 goals in 44 games

Both great records although Benzema has maintained his over a longer distance.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  11. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Can't argue with his numbers tbf

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Agree, for a big striker he is fast and puts in a lot of running for his team, leads the line excellently also and decent in the air, good hard working well rounded player and a great goalscorer one of the most consistent about. Underrated striker of the ball too, especially on the volley seems to always smash shots with power but keep them under control.

Currently i'd only say Lewandowski and Suarez were better than him. I'd like to see him in Englnd as well as I think he'd suit playing there the most. The quicker tempo rougher style of play with more long balls and crosses would be ideal for him at a Man U or Chelsea.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  13. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Had a look there I didn't realise he was so prolific for PSG as well, although I think his confidence took a hit at times when Zlatan was there, particularly in his last year.

Cavani was a bit limited in terms of what he could do especially playing wide left as the whole team had to find a way of adapting to Zlatan as he got older and began to lose his legs.

Cavani looked like he had something to prove in every big game last year and can remember he was snatching at his chances a little bit, maybe that's where the perception comes from that he isn't a great finisher.

Always remember when it was him, Lavezzi and Hamsik in the front 3 for Napoli, an excellent trio to watch, very dynamic.

neilly1987 likes this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There is not a chance Cavani is better than Benzema.

Stats or no stats. Benzema is the better footballer.

Officer Doofy and McChiellini.. like this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

I'd have Cavani over Benzema any day.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Benzema is a Chris Sutton type for me, not in style but in the way he knows there is a genuine legend playing next to him and he can help take him up another level. The way Sutton was with Larsson, that's the same kind of way Benzema has been with Ronaldo.

There's a reason Ronaldo much preferred him to Higuain.

PaulM1888 and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He does, puts in a decent shift to allow others to flourish. But could he lead the line as the main man, if I was a team like Dortmund, PSG, Man Utd, Juventus, Arsenal, Chelsea i'd go for Cavani every time, better goalscorer, more of a leader, quicker, stronger, better in the air. Benzema does suit Real though where the strikers main role there is just to bother and occupy players, hold the ball up link play and allow the two wide players to come in and get goals.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Personal preference but even with Cavani having a flyer of a season if you offered me one or the other for Celtic right now I'm taking Benzema aw day.

Benzema is definitely under rated, there's a reason despite the fact they have unlimited funds to buy any striker in the world he's been there for nearly a decade.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    A player I have just picked in the draft...John Robertson.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Benzema is the striker Arsenal have needed for years. Him playing alongside Alexis Sanchez would have made a huge difference.