1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Moaning.....Unnecessary or Justified???

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by hiphopaddict, Jan 27, 2018.

Discuss Moaning.....Unnecessary or Justified??? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    As of the present time, I know myself I am guilty of unnecessary moaning about our team.

When I started going to the games....back in the very very bad old days.

Lou Macari was the manager. We finished 4th in the league two years in a row. Oldco rangers were running away with everything. David Murray was pumping millions and millions into their squad...they were signing 'superstars', we were re-signing Frank McAvennie and bringing in players like Wayne Biggins, Gary Gillespie and Willie Falconer. They had the best stadium in the country....we were playing in a relic of a park and talking about moving to some daydream of a stadium in Cambuslang. Then we were a bawhair away from folding to top it all off.

If someone had told me then that we would be going for 7 in a row, having gone 69 games unbeaten. That we'd have won the past 4 available trophies. That we'd have been playing in the Champions League group stages two years in a row and that we'd have one of Britain's top managers in charge of our club. That we'd have the best stadium in the country and that there would not be a player playing anywhere else in Scotland that would be good enough to make our first choice 11. There is no way that I'd have believed it. That would have been crazy talk. You'd have been sectioned for suggesting that it even might happen.

How the * can we still moan??? When we've achieved all this.

I am guilty of it and I'm putting it down to having been through the terrible times when there seemed no hope. Its getting on my * how we are the top team in the country and instead of pressing home our advantage....moving on to the next level.....signing more top quality players and constantly improving our squad....we're * about signing 'promising' youth players and the odd European loan deal.

This is not improving the team like we should be doing. Continuing with such transfer inactivity will only end one way. Sevco and the other teams slowly catching us up. Your supposed to improve while your on top....not see being on top as a way of saving money.

So Im torn between moaning about us not improving enough and feeling guilty for moaning when I remember how bad it was for almost a decade. I dont really know what I should be feeling....I kick myself for moaning but at the same time I can see what should be happening.....and it's not....which is * me right off.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Tell ye next week. Btw Moonbeams was spending RBS and Hectors money. I'm pretty sure we are in a better position. But signings are needed.

Buster likes this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    As long as we appreciate the success we enjoy now, it doesn't mean we can't have a desire to improve.

The moaning you see on here is based on a perception of a lack of transfer activity. As usual, the club will be conducting its business in private.

Part of the problem is that a lot of fans think we have more money to spend than we actually do.

4. dmac

For a lot o fans it's about seeing the team capitalise when they are in a position of power and not rest on their laurels as has happened previously. After Seville a couple of players were needed to take us to the next level and it never happened.

5. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Moaning in regards to the transfer activity is justified. Here are 3 examples of why.

O'Neill's 2003 team that reached Seville. That summer we spent 400k on Stephen Pearson and brought in Michael Gray on loan

Strachan's 3 in a row side. That January going for a potential 4th title, Rangers were heavily struggling financially. Instead of signing a much needed striker in January we made a * of it. They won 3 in a row.

Lennon's team that made the last 16. That summer Wanyama, Hooper, Kelvin Wilson were sold for over £20m closely followed by Joe Ledley. Hooper was replaced by Pukki/Balde. Wanyama by Bitton who cost 1/20th of his value.

The club is notorious for failing to build on a position of strength. Robbie Keane was signed when Mowbray was due to be sacked. Rodgers was appointed after a miserable season finishing bottom of a Europa League group and being put out the cup by second tier Rangers.

This suggests to me we only have ambition when we're panicking. We can all see the club is going to go backwards if we don't make progress with the strength of the squad.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The thing about some of those transfers is, Wanyama, Hooper and Wilson all wanted to leave.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I have no issues with them leaving. But Hooper should have been replaced by a proven striker for example

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agreed. For every decent striker we've signed recently, there's been about 3 duds.

cidermaster likes this.
  9. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Like you mate i was brought up with that lot winning everything . I now enjoy every single win we get , what we have achieved the last 2 years has been amazing but like you i do moan aswell which does make me feel a bit spoiled thinking back at the bad old days.
    We should all enjoy it while it lasts .

hiphopaddict and ChrisMoh like this.
  10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Wall of text !

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We’ve had another CL campaign this season, plus the VVD cash, the mid term accounts will look very good. Every club who has a banking facility owes the bank money.. if the club has decided to reduce that debt then they should be transparent and tell us. That debt is sustainable btw and there’s no point having that facility without utilising it.

The Hotel plans are said to be budgeted separately and won’t effect our transfer activity, again if this isn’t the case we should be told.

There’s cash there, no doubt..

We also invested £13.8m in football personnel last year, a lot more than this year, we’ve sold more season tickets this season and we’ve made the EL..

So I’m sure our profit(pre-tax) will be more than £5.9m at the end of the year.

There is cash there and it’s not unreasonable to want to see some of it spent. I’m all for conducting our business quietly and professionally behind the scenes, but the lack of deals done is an issue.

I’m not taking about spending £20m in this window, we should be careful and prudent, but we seem to be over cautious in our business or we aren’t being told why we aren’t strengthening a squad that definitely needs a boost in quality.

So the frustration is understandable, let’s see where we’re at come the end of the window to see if it’s justifiable.

One thing is for sure the lack of transparency and accountability is something that needs addressed in the longterm.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Especially agree with the part in bold.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Tell you what I will moan about, that wee * Bankier away to Downing St for a burns supper with the * Tories. I really hope that little * dies a horrible death.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Good post mate, and i'm sure sums up the thoughts of many. :50:

15. Murph-E

Most Celtic fans are Irish or Scottish, we're a people who moan all the time, it'll always be this way no matter what :56:

16. The Greenman King of kings

I see where your coming from but I don't think it's a valid reason not to be angry. I remember back in the bad days I'd go into school and get a ripping off my hun mates because of how much better than us they were and it was absolute *. However back then we were on the verge of bankruptcy and had a board who were no more than a bunch of leeches not to mention we had a financially doped huns side to compete with.

We're under different, much better circumstances now so it's not fair to compare us now to the early 90s. The way the club goes about transfer business is baffling at times, as someone posted above we never kick on from positions of strength and it really makes you wonder if the board have another agenda here. No matter how well we do one season ie CL or making a profit on players it's always the same small amount of money that is invested into the team and it's * infuriating.

Fans are rightly angry as we could be a decent European side but we settle for spending the least amout of money required to win a one horse race every year.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well said. Completely agree.

18. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A random but a goodie.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Happens every year folk moaning.

Social media is to blame.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Only gripes I have are with transfers really. The way we go about our business can be frustrating as *.