1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Al Bootyerbaws

I wanked over yer maw’s fat *. Next.

2. Nasser

We don't really learn much about Conor from that fight but It was nice to see him throwing quick head kicks again I've not seen him do that for years. I think Gaethje is a good fight for Conor stylistically as Conor has the far better boxing and the better chin. Masvidal I pick to beat Conor but if promoted right it would be one of the biggest fights on all time. I'd like to see Conor fight Nate Diaz next to finish off that trilogy. I don't want too see a rematch with Khabib it's utterly pointless.

3. Al Bootyerbaws

If Tony could beat Khabib that would throw a spanner in the works. Tony vs McGregor would be an interesting fight.

4. Nasser

That would be a great fight, a 50/50 because of Tony ground game. I don't see Tony beating Khabib unless he locks in a sub which might happen but it's a superb fight either way.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

So aggressive.

6. scootz

Cerrone was looking for a place to fall the second he stepped in the octagon!

Awful.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Any suggestion the most experienced fighter in the UFC took a fall or wanted a way out is complete and utter tripe.

He’s got tons of miles on the clock and he’s at the tail end of his career but he’s a proud warrior and he was going into that fight last night to finish McGregor. He just didn’t get the chance to get going.

Slaw likes this.
  8. Seosamh Máirtín

Sure we did. The champ is back, looking fresh as * and lean and mean. He will defeat any opponents he faces this year.

Assuming he stays clean. :56:

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think it’s a combination of things that leaves people feeling short changed.

Most of the MMA world seemed to be predicting an early KO, so I don’t think there’s much surprise at the result, but the build up and aftermath contribute to what was a disappointing event.

It was too casual, too friendly, too ‘I’m just happy to be here’. I don’t like the idea that Cerrone wasn’t there to win, but it felt like winning would be a nice bonus, rather than his reason for being there.

scootz likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The reason people feel short changed is we’ve waited years for McGregor to get back into the octagon and it lasted 40 seconds.

Cerrone has never been knocked out as quick and never not thrown a punch in 80 or so ‘fights’. However, as many folk are now saying, you are an idiot if you think Cerrone took a dive or didn’t want to knock his opponent out.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The quote function is your friend.

That is part of the reason people feel short changed, no doubt about it. Like I said, it’s also based on the fact that it felt like a bit of a weak performance from Cerrone, as if he was just grateful to have been given the opportunity. Demonstrating that and then proceeding to wilt is never a good look.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Also @PaulM1888 if you could respond to my post a couple of pages back, that would be great.

You stated, “May 2019 1 million per cent was not over 170 lbs.”

If you could find something that suggests that to be the case, that would actually be pretty cool.

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Fighting Gaethje would be a big test for McGregor to see if he's back or not, for me anyway Gaethje is next in line for a title shot so McGregor needs to beat him to face the winner of Tony and Khabib.

I think Khabib will beat Tony then move upto to 170, he struggles like * with the weight cuts.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Why would I quote you when I’m not replying directly to you? It’s the continuation of a general conversation.

It’s not up to me to educate you. I used to think he walked about over 170 until you can now actually see him walking about under that and you can tell he clearly wasn’t.

He is huge now in comparison to how he walked about at featherweight, prior to cutting.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    When I talk about fans feeling ‘short changed’, and you immediately talk about why, in your opinion, fans feel ‘short changed’, it’s quite clear who you were replying to.

Providing evidence to support a baseless claim is not eduction Paul :giggle1: it’s merely just now being a bullshitter.

You could’ve saved some time and just said, “I just know, dammit!”

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
  19. Al Bootyerbaws

Paul the know it all handed his *. Pleasing.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....