1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Comparing Diaz and Cowboy’s size would be a good arguement if they were able to take the same amount of damage.

They can’t.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m pretty sure they will be focusing on something a little more in depth than size...

Valhalla likes this.
  3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I think Conor would walk through Cerrone. He's got no head movement and his boxing is reflective of someone who doesn't spar. He can get his shots off but only when his opponent is stagnant. His ground game is where he could cause Conor problems but I would doubt that as well.

I think it's a fight Conor should take if he's serious about getting back to his best.

4. Darnok

Cerrone isn't a long and rangey striker, he strikes with a pretty basic Muay Thai skill-set. Nate plants his lead leg and fights a long, basic 1-2 boxing style. Cerrone won't be much heavier than Conor either, he has stated repeatedly he weighs at 175 when fighting at LW.

Valhalla likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Pretty basic Muay Thai skillset :56:

Have a look at his kickboxing record...

6. Darnok

That really means nothing. Watch actual Muay Thai fights and you'll see what I mean. Having a basic Muay Thai skill set is no slight, MMA is a different sport. My point was, he may be tall and have decent reach, especially for a LW, but he does not use his reach because his striking style does not allow it.

Valhalla likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s never lost a kickboxing match, he’s a superb kickboxer. Is my point.

8. Darnok

Yes, I got your point, it isn't a good one. You seem to be confused. Calling him 'basic' is not me meaning 'bad'. Effectiveness is not directly linked to the quality of one's technique; you can be a basic Muay Thai fighter and win fights, just as you can be technically proficient and lose them. However, you are leading this way off of the original point which is Cerrone is not a long and rangey striker. He fights close in and utilises basic (sorry) Muay Thai combinations to good effect.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a 6 foot 1 lightweight, of course he’s a long and rangey fighter ffs what are you smoking :56:

I get that he uses elbows and the plum up close when using Muay Thai techniques but he’s also massive at the weight class and uses plenty kicks from distance.

10. Darnok

He doesn't really use elbows all that much. His kicks from distance are just single shots to suss out his opponent, his best work is mid-to-short range where he throws basic combinations; he doesn't tend to fight long or draw his opponent onto him like the typical counter-striker. He rarely teeps, and almost never steps in with his knees. Like most Muay Thai fighters, he prefers to pressure and move in close at mid-to-short range. Look at his fight with Masvidal, for example, he stood in front of him for most of the fight which is partly why he got finished, and why he tends not to do well against boxers. Against RDA the first time, he stood off of him, but he was largely ineffectual from there because, regardless of his height, he does not fight long and rangey.

Valhalla likes this.
  11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Khabib McGregor Ferguson Pettis Lee Nate all beat Cerrone for me, pretty comfortably. That’s not even including the likes of Gaethje, Poirier...

He’s a legend for what he does but I don’t see him going on any sort of run through those guys at all.

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Abdulrashid Sadulaev says he’ll turn to MMA after the 2020 Olympics. Holy *.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Western style kickboxing and Muay Thai aren’t the same thing, or even particularly close.

They used to suggest that Anderson Silva had world class Muay Thai, but in reality he had nothing of the sort. Great striker, but not a conventional Muay Thai fighter in a million years.

I actually can’t recall a world class Muay Thai fighter in the UFC. It would be interesting to see but they make good money in Thailand and there’s a ‘prestige’ element to Muay Thai in Thailand that MMA doesn’t have.

Nasser and Valhalla like this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This. ‘Real’ Muay Thai is a whole different ball game.

Anyone who’s even watched highlights of a high level Muay Thai fight would see how ‘basic’ Cowboy is.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    lol.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I work with a Scottish Muay Thai champion, been to every one of his fights the last 5 years and have trained with him. Pretty sure I’ve seen muaythai postie off here fighting on one of the cards as well in Oran Mor.

I know full well what Muay Thai is and the use of it in mainstream MMA, if you read the thread back you’ll see I never once mentioned Cerrone’s Muay Thai ability.... :56:

He is a superb kickboxer and his the record to back it up into the bargain. He uses his height, at lightweight, by fighting tall and using kicks at range. Why is this even a debate? :52:

17. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Surprised to see Connor actually has a longer reach than cowboy by 1 inch despite cowboys height

PaulM1888 likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Conor’s reach is * up, 3cm longer than a guy 10cm taller.

Lot of his success based on that 1 attribute!

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You did mention it, you laughed at someone calling it basic and then said look at his kickboxing record. Two different things.

Valhalla likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Where? I said he uses Muay Thai techniques up close. He does.