1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They’d have to promote the fight a lot as casual fans don’t have a clue who Askren is. They are also not interested in seeing two wrestlers fight. It’s more one for the hardcore fans, so they have to work out how to bridge that gap.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Some company he’s in there with.

MacEwan likes this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Personally thought Khabib looked horrible; No power in his striking, head straight up in the air, no combos, no head movement, no creativity.

Stuff his takedowns and at the elite level he himself is stuffed. If he was standing in front of McGregor or even Ferguson the way he did for 3 rounds last night he wouldn’t be standing for very long.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Head movement!

5. Pacific Ocean Blue

He's still a wee * though

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Odds on him failing a test on 4/20.

Doogs. likes this.
  8. Dáibhí

That's because she's delusional. She can't seem to process the fact that she's now lost twice to the same person.

Nasser likes this.
  9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Max wants Ortega on International Fight Week.

Stipe vs DC, Max vs T-City.

10. Nasser

I was impressed with Khabib his jab looked good and quick but he does leave his chin out and he looked gassed somewhat by the 5th but then that's normal if you are grappling for long periods. Al Iaquinta is tough as nails but I thought he looked poor on the feet where he normally shines, but I put that down to him being mauled on the ground for long periods. The major flaw Khabib has is he really rates his own striking when in fights and can stand and trade when he doesn't have to.

ynwa1987 likes this.
  11. Dáibhí

Thing is, he adjusts his game depending on who he's fighting.

A lot of fans seem to think that someone like Conor beats him based off that fight at the weekend. Do they think Khabib comes in like that against a proven striker? Of course he doesn't.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His jab looked like his one and only weapon on the feet, it was quick and it kept Al on the back foot but he’s never going to finish a fight with it. But I still say Ferguson and Conor finish him from there, which is why I don’t think he’d be as stupid against either man.

13. Nasser

Agree he be stupid to, but on occasions he can't help himself, that flying knee thing he does when his opponent is against the cage sometimes is so clumsy. I can't see Ferguson beating him unless he pulls a sub from somewhere. Conor has more chance but Khabib might just take Conor down it be over fairly quickly after that. It's going to be someone that is very dangerous on the ground and dangerous off their back that can match Khabib's grappling that beats him.

14. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Khabib vs McGregor, Ferguson or Ortega are a interesting fights.

Against Conor, if Khabib takes him down early, when both guys are dry so he can get a good grip, McGregor is done. But the fight starts stood up and that's where McGregor could win. He is great at hitting guys while moving backwards, I'd say that's his only chance.

Ferguson and Ortega are both great of their back. Khabib likes to grind guys down from the top, if he leaves a small opening, either of those guys is capable of catching him in a sub.

I hope we get to see one of those guys (obviously Ferguson is out a while) fight Khabib this year. GSP vs Khabib just does not interest me at all. Both great grapplers but not really submission artists. I mean yeah they can tap guys but they aren't known for it. Both are GnP fighters and I don't see it being an entertaining fight. If the match is made, I hope I'm wrong though

15. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I think it would be really interesting to see Khabib on his back with GSP.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I think Khabib v GSP would be fascinating even if a punch wasn’t thrown on the feet.

Valhalla and ourdaywillcome! like this.
  17. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't see it tbh. Don't get me wrong, I love the ground game, I train BJJ (although admittedly not in a while) so I do appreciate good grappling but neither guy is really known for throwing up submissions. Doesn't really matter now because GSP has basically said he's not interested in Khabib fight.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not about the submissions though, it’s just the two of them trying to get the better of each other. It would be great to watch. Askren - Khabib/GSP even more so.

19. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don't see the appeal myself. Would probably end up a straight up wrestling match in MMA gloves. Takedown, stalemate, referee resets, rinse and repeat. Thats how I see it anyway. Like I say I'd like to be proved wrong.

And it would do terrible numbers. Askren vs Khabib would be even worse numbers wise, as outside of the the kind of fans who post and read threads like these and watch MMA as a whole rather than just the UFC, nobody knows who the * Ben Askren is

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

GSP would smash absolute * out of Khabib, for that reason I would love to see it.