1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Magny is nowhere near the level of Masvidal, Gunnar Nelson was happy to go to the ground and go toe to toe with Maia (stupidly), Matt Brown never stood a chance (I backed Maia decision in that fight) and Condit's takedown defence is at <40%.

Masvidal is one of the best defensive wrestlers in the division and has a highly underrated ground game. He's been done in quite a few split decisions and the new Masvidal is far more aggressive. His jab is excellent as is his takedown defence. The welterweight division's answer to Gerard Mousasi. This is a terrible stylistic matchup for Maia.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Good enough to get beat by Tumenov.

His last fight aside, which was impressive, how good is he at welterweight?

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Chael? Ed Herman?

He has proved in the past he can smother anyone. If it turns into that type of fight there is literally only 1 winner. Masvidal does have a chance on the feet, however.

4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Larkin arguably deserved that decision against Tumenov. Looked very impressive against Ponz, Masvidal and Magny. He would be a seriously dangerous opponent for Woodley, but unfortunately he's gone to Bellator. I'm backing Masvidal because on the feet it will be one way traffic and I'm backing his wrestling ability to keep it where he wants it. Masvidal is a very high level wrestler, particularly defensively.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

£10 on Conor McGregor Jr to be UFC champion in 25 years?

6. TimFloyd Gold Member

Champions are rarely born from mega wealthy families.

In fighting anyway

7. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I think maia's jiu jitsu game beats any high level wrestler. once he is on his back that goes out the window as we have seen time and time again with maia. I've lost count of the number of times people have put people's ground game on a pedestal when fighting maia only for them to get absolutely embarrassed.

If he can stop the fight going to ground he wins. if it goes to the mat he loses... It's just that simple.

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It's really not that simple. Masvidal's grappling is much better than Matt Brown and the likes. I would back Jorge to survive to the end of the round if (big if) he gets taken down

9. Larsson93

I'm a massive masvidal fan from his strike force days and Genghis con documentaries but I don't give him much of a chance here and will be lumping big on maia if he stays close to evens.

Masvidal has great takedown defence for a lw but it will be a different story fighting a huge ww like maia who did well at mw.

The only reason the odds are even close is because masvidal recently schooled one of the most overrated fighters in the world right now in cerrone.

10. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    He may well survive but he will still get dominated. 2 takedown's in a fight for maia usually means a win.

11. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Good point about the weight dicisions I agree. The more I look at records and stats the more I think this is going to be staright forward for maia. Masvidal last two wins which has got him to this stage. Where against cerrone who decided not to turn up and jake ellenberger who I don't rate one bit and will probably be cut.if he hadn't got them he would be very unfancied against maia.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'd really urge you to bet Maia with caution. There's MMA campers better than me who are just as confident on Masvidal. Each of Masvidal's last three wins were split decisions and he arguably won all 3 (beat Al Iaquinta without question).

Watch Maia vs MacDonald to see what good hands and a strong wrestling base can do to Maia. There aren't many tougher matchups for Maia than Masvidal. Just don't underestimate him because of his record. Don't forget he absolutely walked through Cerrone and has looked class at 170.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Joanna is going to dominate Andrade as well I reckon. Andrade punches with her arms. Joanna will cut angles and brutalise her over 5 rounds. If gadelha can't beat her, Andrade definitely can't.

14. celts67

15. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Rory mcdonald was young, enthusiastic, and very very good on the ground. He was taken down twice once for the majority of the first and then in the 3rd where he managed to get up using fantastic technique that masvidal does not have. If masvidal is taken down twice 9 times out of 10 its a maia win by sub or decision.

16. Nasser

I would not bet any money on Masvidal or Maia the odds are up and down for a reason and that is because it's a hard fight to call and people are split over who wins, you can get evens for both fighters now in the bookies. I fairly confident Masvidal wins but I wouldn't put money on him. That's why it's such as good card as there are quite a few tough fights to call 50/50 fights.

17. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    yep am the same. confident was confident on maia until I saw his interview and masvidals too. basically maia looks hopeful and masvidal is expecting to win. demian looks like he is in agreement with woodley that he shot not have taken this fight.

Still it's going to be epic. can't wait!

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I love watching Miocic fight. His striking is fantastic.

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Apparently it's Ray v Felder in Glasgow.

20. GavCFC1

Been announced about a week ago mate. Unless you mean as a headliner