1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Larsson93

Theres not many(any) easy fights in the top 10 of that division really. Stephens is another option, would be a pure speed vs power match up and would really test his takedown defense.

Really loving the fw division at the moment. So many prospects (Rodriguez, Bektic, Ortega, Choi), also looking forward to Korean Zombie returning to fight Bermudez as well.

Swervedancer likes this.
  2. ynwa1987

Yea I dont think he will get a top 10. I think he is more likely to fight the other 4 guys u listed.

Swervedancer likes this.
  3. Swervedancer Guest

Understand what you mean about BJ going out against a top level fighter, it's better for him hopefully to end his career before he goes downhill. His respect is still intact after that because he did keep trying to fight back against all the odds. I doubt he's ever came up against anyone like that before though. Least he took the fight knowing it was dangerous.

So Swanson is in this division? His fight with Choi was an all time classic.
    He can do some flashy moves, reverse backhand and a similar technique with his leg like a dragons tail backwards I think.
    I would like to see that match up.
    Also, I don't know who Lamas is so have no idea what kind of fight that would be.

Swanson would be interesting because at first I'm thinking he would have no chance in the long run but then I remember he took some blows in that Choi slugfest and was still fresh as a daisy. He definitely deserved to win that fight technically even though I wanted a draw.

I think El Pantera will be too good. It depends how much punishment Swanson can take I think while getting in a few smart blows himself. It just looks like El Pantera can adjust to too many different techniques for Swanson. I think Swanson has a decent range though but I didn't see anything like this in him.

I hope he's the real deal because that looked like seriously high level skill.

4. Swervedancer Guest

Why would he not get a top 10 fight? I assumed he would be offered the best fighter in the division after that display? The top 10 guys are seriously already classed as too much quality for him right now? It must be an amazing division. Mind you Swanson Choi is the best fight I've seen.

Didn't that look like a different level of fighter altogether even though BJ is retiring? I must be missing some fights if he's not even getting a top 10 challenge. I've not seen anyone like that before. I was thinking he is the new superstar of the sport :56:

Sorry just seen your post.

Pity Pantera couldn't fight someone like Aldo but if he's just a prospect maybe it's best not to put him up against the best too soon in case someone beats him badly and ruins his confidence?

I take it we're going to have to see him fight a few guys at a decent level before seeing if he's ready for the very best?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2017
  5. Larsson93

I think he will get someone between 3-8ish next. He has beat Fili (ranked 14) and is already ranked 10th and has headlined two cards. Anyone outside the top 10 is a backwards move for him.

Swervedancer likes this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yair :46:

Talk about a beat down :rofl:

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don't see the opinion that he should have returned but just fought a lower level fighter. He's almost 40, hasn't won a fight in 7 years and the game has passed him by. He should be enjoying retirement somewhere, being a pundit or something.

It's actually embarrassing watching a 2 weight World Champion, widely regarded as one of the greatest of all time getting his baws booted.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Helwani summed it up.

BJ would fight Brock tomorrow if he got offered it and that's why fans will always love him and support him but the UFC and his management etc. Can't let him have the opportunity to fight again.

It's stomach turning watching him.

9. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I have to be honest, i think a similar fate will await GSP if he returns now. He was still champ when he chucked it, but his shield of invincibility was starting to slip, and i think 3.5 years out is too long now. Im pretty sure he would still be very good, but i dont see him beating Woodley, Thompson or Gastelum. Not only that, but i always felt he was bursting out his skin.....would he still find it easy to fight at welterweight? Maybe he would have a better chance if he got a shot at Bisping, but i doubt Bisping will still be champ long enough for him to get that 'easy' shot.

I hope he stays away, but that all said, i dont think he is anywhere near down the hasbeen road as BJ, but he better hurry up if he is coming back as the longer it goes on, the harder it will be.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

GSP and BJ are completely different. GSP was beating killers right up until he 'retired' plus the guy is a thoroughbred athlete.

He's younger, fitter and more clever in general. Not a chance he steps in with a top guy unless he knows he's prepared for it.

BJ has been getting his head slapped about for 7 years.

11. HailHoopy

BJ had no business being in there the other night :frown: It's been difficult to watch his recent fights.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    BJ I remember used to be quite a chubby looking fighter as well, watching him last night he looked very slim near ill looking like a saggy old guy, Rodriguez looked like he was a weight above him.

Felt quite bad watching it too, was like Man V Boy and he was just being picked off too easy he luckily blocked most of the head kicks but watching it you were thinking what sort of brain damage was being done, must have been kicked in the head a dozen times.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Until 2014 he'd never fought at 145.

He was 155 and 170 Champion and has also fought at 185.

He's been a desperate man since 2010.

14. HailHoopy

He looked really gaunt, it was a total mismatch, I was actually surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Really sad cause he was always one of my favourites :(

15. Nasser

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Taking the lead from McGregor once again...

17. HailHoopy

I think it would feel weird being an mma fighter and going into a boxing match.

Imagine having your opponent up against the ropes, I think there's a chance it could be hard to ignore the instinct to clinch and start throwing knees and elbows :giggle1:

18. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wanderlei Silva always used to throw kicks on the ground and had to stop himself in the UFC once it got banned.

HailHoopy likes this.
  19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Boxing is Nate's passion and always has been.

Valhalla likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Aye? Why did he never try for a licence until McGregor did and a crossover fight with Mayweather was in the public domain?

Passion indeed.