1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    What reason was given for this?

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Bit of a * 'excuse' but at the post fight press conference he basically conceded that at his age he isn't in the business of giving young guys like Weidman a leg up i.e. he'll need to pay his dues by sticking about for a few years and win a few more professional fights. He's only had 5 fights in the UFC but he is clearly a beast and a top contender (if not thee top contender). Bisping wants to fight Weidman though so that would be for top contender status you'd imagine.

If GSP beats Condit the UFC are at a crossroads. GSP and Silva are willing to fight one another. However, if GSP beats Silva it drains a shitload of interest in Silva/Jones. If Silva were to beat GSP the stars would align and there would be no real fight left other than with Jones, they could have that in any stadium in the US and sell it out 3 times over.

3. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Cage Contender from last week in Belfast is on Premier Sports tonight (sky 428) 8pm,apparantely some good action.

4. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Chael Sonnen and Jon Jones will be the coaches on the next series of TUF, should make for interesting TV and a rather one sided fight at the end of it

5. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    After competing for nearly 11 years as a professional mixed martial artist, Stephan Bonnar is calling it quits.

The UFC recently announced Bonnar’s retirement, and “The American Psycho” confirmed his plans on his Facebook page.

“Huge thanks to every UFC fan out there,” Bonnar wrote. “All I ever wanted was to bring y’all some fun. Hope you were entertained. Peace, love and violence!”

Bonnar, 35, made his professional debut in November 2001 and won seven of his first eight fights before joining the cast of the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show. Bonnar advanced to the live finale, squaring off with Forrest Griffin in a widely viewed and highly influential donnybrook in April 2005. The bout is regarded by many as one of the more important in MMA history, spurring a surge in the sport’s popularity through the second half of the decade.

Following his defeat to Griffin, Bonner would fight 14 more times in the Octagon, posting an 8-7 overall promotional record and picking up victories over the likes of James Irvin, Keith Jardine, Igor Pokrajac and Krzysztof Soszynski. Bonnar most recently competed against longtime middleweight champion and top pound-for-pound talent Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro. “The Spider” finished Bonnar with a perfectly-timed knee to the solar plexus at 4:40 of the first round, snapping a three-fight winning streak for Bonnar and sending him into retirement.

Bonnar leaves active competition with a career mark of 15-8 and was never submitted as a professional. A student of the late Carlson Gracie, Bonnar posted seven of his career victories by submission and picked up an additional three wins by way of knockout. In addition to fighting, Bonnar has also served as an analyst both at the commentary booth and in the studio, calling multiple World Extreme Cagefighting cards before that organization was absorbed by the UFC last year.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones are building to a fight in the future it seems.

Would be an extremely interesting match, especially if Cormier were to come into the UFC and batter a few top level contenders before it.

7. Heb Celt

Looking forward to the last 3 UFC events of the year.
    GSP v Condit
    Benson Henderson v Nate Diaz
    B.J Penn v Rory MacDonald
    Junior Dos Santos v Cain Valasquez

Just some of the fights coming up,of them the one im most looking forward to is Penn v MacDonald,it will be MacDonalds toughest fight to date and hopefully when he gets past Penn he'll be fighting for the welterweight title.

Just googled Daniel Cormier Hammer,don't watch much Strikeforce or Pride,you reckon he'd have much of a chance against Jones?

Also does anyone know when the Korean Zombie's next fight is,seems like ages since we last seen him.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  8. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I cant see Jones moving up for a wee while yet.

9. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I wish BJ would retire.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He would outwrestle him anyway, put it that way. Not that that's an indicator of the better fighter right enough. DC would have to have a few fights in the UFC first to establish himself properly.

DC would come down for him no problems. In fact he would probably prefer to, especially if Cain beat JDS as Cain and DC are team mates.

He did :icon_mrgreen:

11. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    If he did come down, then i couldnt see him troubling JJ.He would lose so much power and would never be fast enough or able to get near him i dont think.
    I seen the Silva fight, but i dont really think at 205 he would manage to do him.If they fought at Heavy right now i think he would have a chance......but not when JJ adjusts.

Re-BJ....aye, well i wish he'd stay retired!!!
    I do love watching him fight though.

12. Heb Celt

Its obvious to everyone and their dog that this is just a progression fight for RM,only a matter of time before he challenges GSP'S crown and i reckon he's the guy to do it.

13. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Maybe, but i cant help feeling that BJ is still capable.I dont see him taking the fight without having the belief.That said, i think RM will win.Hope im wrong though.
    Maia looks pretty good at 170 also!

14. Heb Celt

Why would you hope you're wrong MGM?I hope Rory knocks him the * out,he is the future of MMA,seen all his fights,he's got everything hence my prediction of stealing GSP's crown.

Edit: I know B.J Penn was a champ for near 10 yearrs,absolute animal,but the sport is progressing and Frankie Edgar showed that,great fight.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  15. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I just always thought he was a game little *.When he was fighting at Welterweight and to-ing and fro-ing to Lightweight and back, i always felt he was too small for Welterwight compared to his opponents, who were bigger naturally.
    I will also always love him for shutting up Diego Sanchez.That fight couldnt have gone any better for me.......none of your 1st round stoppage.....he beat him up for 5.YES...YES...YES....LOL

Re-Edgar.....i just think FE was too fast and evasive for him, but i still prefer watching Penn over Edgar.I think in a smaller ring, he would beat Edgar....but that is another matter!

16. Heb Celt

You talking about RM MGM?Bollacks i say,that boy is the future of mma,want a tenner bet?Dont know where u stay but ill find you haha

17. Andybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ice cream and jelly
    Rory macdonald is the next bbig super star in the UFC but i really dont see him and Gsp fighting in the futture with them being teammates, maybe gsp will move up, who knows

18. Heb Celt

Agree but they both Welterweight so fight is on,i know rory learned a lot of * of GSP but his time is soon.

19. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I think i would get at least 2/1 with the bookies if i backed BJ.

I do think highly of RM myself.....how could i not, but its just that BJ is an old favourite.

20. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Dave Herman (marijuana) and Stephan Bonnar (anabolic steroids) fail drugs tests after UFC 153