1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum alcohol pricing approved

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 15, 2017.

Discuss Minimum alcohol pricing approved in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Let's make it fair. Tax free for frosty jack as it should be for the most vulnerable in society.

40% tax on Cristal

Let's see how quick legislation gets flung out.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    When did the policy claim to be a fix all solution?

Alcohol abuse is far more common amongst the poor, unfortunately.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Is it?

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You know minty. For someone as enlightened as yourself I'm surprised you are comfortable with a law that singles out a certain section of society.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Hope they don't bring out a genderless blob tax you'll be all over that.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I hope you aren't scurrying about looking for links to debunk me. I'm far too pished to be reading long passages.

7. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Feel like there needs to be more education about the dangers of alcohol in school. It's so ingrained in our society that going on the * every weekend is almost normalised. Young people see adults do it so see it as know big deal, their parents do it, older siblings, etc so it's only natural that they're gonna copy them even when they're underage. Then at that age group you're incredible susceptible and will give into peer pressure really easily if you're friends are doing it. It's all well and good saying that people should just choose not too but when you're young and naive you simply just don't know any better. I can't really ever remember being told be the negatives of alcohol by the time I started drinking all I knew is that it might make you sick the next morning if you drink too much but everyone got over it so it was worth drinking the head off myself.

Education is the best way to combat stuff like this so I think more needs to be done in that regard. Perhaps the minimum pricing is a good start but there still needs to be more done in terms of making young people aware of the dangers.

tarboltontim and Callum McGregor like this.
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm on my third bottle of tonic by the wAy. Currently trading well above minimum pricing. Incase you thought I was coming at this from a selfish standpoint.

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Yes I hope they do increase it further (target a quid a unit) and educate more people and tell them they don't need to get smashed 2/3 times a week to have a good time ffs. For far too long Scotland's relationship with alcohol has caused more problems than it will ever solve and the mentality needs to be fixed/reset. Hopefully by doing this we can stop the next batch of problem drinkers from starting, or at the very least a fair percentage of them from following down the same path many have already followed. Which shouldn't be a surprise given the research conducted*

As for the rest of your post/s If me hoping for this and giving a * about the kids growing up in this country, in your opinion anyway, makes you want to accuse me of being some kind of, anti-working class/anti football fan/fascist SNP voter/who looks down his nose at people * then you crack on because I couldn't actually give a * what you think about me. On this subject, with you, I have come to realise it's always someone else's fault/someone else in the wrong. Perhaps if you seen about the chip on your shoulder that would help.

* I won't bother re-posting the results/findings from the university that conducted research into minimum pricing and the positive effects it will/would have as they have already been posted on here repeatedly, but funnily enough ignored (I wonder why ah yes because they support minimum pricing). Anyway why pay attention to a credible piece of academic research when we can argue the toss about assumptions and feelings on what has caused a rise in drug related deaths and how this is, somehow, linked to minimum pricing - allegedly.. seemingly.. well probably.. maybe .. well according to some anyway.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye.
    It doesn’t.
    It’s cute when you’re passive aggressive.
    No, my phone died on the train home. Lol
    Enjoy. :50:

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I hope a rat crawls up your * and dies, just in time for Boris ordering the inaugural dead rat up the * tax.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

As a response this is as effective as your argument against Minimum pricing :50:

13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Last few pages on this thread should be a reason for banning it altogether :56:

I was a bit nonplussed when it was introduced, love cheap booze as much as the next man. Couple of quid here and there, it's no big deal.

I am now seriously concerned though that this has led to the spike in drug deaths and the most vulnerable in our society would spend their 4 quid on some tablets that no * has a clue whats in it.

I vote SNP because I want independence, but they have introduced some * too.

14. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    cheeky bassas upload_2019-7-17_12-9-35.jpeg

15. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    There is NO evidence to suggest threat minimum pricing has led to people dying of drug use. As referenced earlier, there has been a consistent increase in drug deaths since 1996 and the increase last year was in line with previous years. There as been no sudden increase which can be attributed to minimum pricing.

16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't say there was, you'll find it's an opinion based on considering why we are the drugs death capital.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

More likely the cut in police force, the centralisation of the force. Drugs are more readily available than ever before due to that. Fund more drug cops etc theyll be less of a supply. That costs money though, speeding tickets, parking tickets etc make money. You can see their focus.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  18. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    OK, we can all have an opinion. If an opinion is based on facts rather than argued a priori I believe it's a more informed opinion and more convincing. That's only my opinion.

19. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I truly believe that when we have an epidemic of sorts there will be various factors at play, what you say should well be considered a big factor bud.

20. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Which is as valid as everyone else's.