1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum alcohol pricing approved

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 15, 2017.

Discuss Minimum alcohol pricing approved in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I walked out of council funded counseling after 5 minutes. They were more concerned with my daughter's full name date of birth and school she attends.

They couldn't care less.

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

@Tim-Time 1888

You still wanting it increased? Course you do. Won't affect you and your grey goose will it?

Sod the little man though, they don't know what's good for them so let's show them.

SNP are * fascists.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Working class, football fans, poor and deprived.

Apparently none are capable of thinking for themselves.

4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm sorry to hear your experience was negative.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  5. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Johniebhoy. and Seán Mac D like this.
  6. clonbhoy

It’s difficult to tell how the minimum price of alcohol has impacted on this, it is easy to make a generalisation that suits whatever argument you support. I would side with the view that there are bigger problems at play here, but I wouldn’t rule it completely out.

The one thing I will say is that minimum pricing is a terrible idea.It doesn’t in anyway remove the core societal issues with alcohol and only really punishes the poorest addicts.
    I would advocate taking booze out of the supermarkets and corner shops completely and create a proper system of responsible shops that solely sell alcohol and then reduce the taxation in pubs while, at the same time, increasing the responsibility on all establishments that are allowed sell booze. That is how you have a grown-up debate about alcohol.
    We need to get back to social community drinking.
    Slapping a minimum price is just fudging the issue and is exactly why people can jump to conclusions about any connection to drug deaths.

I also wonder what the drug and alcohol education system is like up there? When I was in school in Ireland it was brutal! I was never once warned properly about the dangers of booze and I have used(and often abused) it since I was 15. All across Britain and Ireland we all have a terrible relationship with booze, which often makes it a gateway drug for people with mental health issues. I know I drank too much to self-medicate and never realised how much damage I was doing to my mind, before trying different things to stay up and out of it longer. Nothing major, doing coke to stay drinking was unlikely to make me a statistic here(not that I live in Scotland), but at a different time and a different place it is easy to see how it happens. Nobody really chooses to be an addict, or if they do the choice is stark.
    There is no doubt in my mind that if the basic relationship with alcohol is changed then a more grown-up conversation about all drugs will follow, but it feels like nobody wants that. It is either proselytising abstinence and condescending to addicts or pretending there is no harm in regularly getting smashed. As is so often the case, the reality should lie in the middle.

7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So how do they solve the issue, if people are not willing to give it a try ?

The root of the problem is that folk can't say no and when we're all young, we think we're cool because we drink/smoke/take drugs etc. Some folk get out it while others keep on at it and steadily get more dependent. It's harder to stop an * who has always had a drink than a young person who has never or only had a few.

People need to start taking more responsibility for their actions instead of throwing out excuses.

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Must be great to be you.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Don't look down on folk as you climb the ladder.

One day you might just pass them on your way back down.

10. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    If the root of the problem is that people can't say no then how can they take more responsibility for their action?

11. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't look down on anyone. We've all been through tough times. I eat too much junk food, that's my habit. If my health suffers, it's on me, nobody else.

If someone drinks, it's through choice. If someone takes drugs, it's through choice.

Obviously some things are harder to quit than others, such as smack. But it's possible.

12. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They can say no obviously, they just choose not to.

13. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * up :56:

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So you qualify your post accusing me of quitting because I didn't want interrogated about the one good thing in my life by telling me to * up?

Clearly I pegged you all wrong...

15. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    If people "can say no obviously" then how can the root of the problem be that "folk can't say no." It's one or the other, surely?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Back in your days it was all about the opium wars Scotia :86:

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Scotia was in shorts when * erectus first chewed on a cocoa leaf.

18. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You can colour it whatever way you want, but at the end of the day, you quit. You can't say more needs to be done to help people then, when offered help, decline it due to a few personal questions.

I told you to * up because you came away with that nonsense.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yet so far, early indications are positive.

I know as well as anyone about using alcohol for escapism, which is why more effort needs to be put into educating people about the dangers of alcohol, especially when they’re young. One policy won’t eradicate problems in a country with such a toxic relationship with alcohol, but sales have already dropped. We’re in agreement that more needs to be done, but progress is progress.

Stress, depression and so on, there are a million better ways to deal with problems.

Simplistic it may be, but there’s nothing wrong with something simple when it works. If alcohol related deaths drop in a few years, I’m sure they’ll use more than just sales figures to justify it.

It’s really too early to tell the full impact of the policy.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

For the millionth time. How does minimum pricing help a rich alcoholic? Or is it only poor jakeys that need told what to do?