1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Dunno about that.

I'd fancy Tierney, Armstrong, Sinclair and Erik to still be here at least.

2. Damnati

Think he means they were here for the first title?

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    "Full ten"

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Ah.

Read that wrong, apologies! In that case I'd agree, aye. Both will still be in and about the squad.

Brown more likely than big Mik though.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye. Wouldn't be surprised if they're both here even as squad players to help the next generation.

Erik Gordon Tierney Armstrong Griffiths Sinclair McGregor Forrest are probably the only other ones I could still see being here.

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Pleased to see him sign a new deal, though I didn't expect it to be such a long one.

He's still our first choice right-back, but that's definitely an area we can look to improve upon over the next couple of seasons as Lustig gets older.

Twisty likes this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Good news he has signed an extension.

The media must be gutted no 'bad news' for them to report/big up :giggle1:

8. Finn Balor

Great news! He deserves it, he's had a really good season so far. Always been a reliable player for us and most importantly, he gets it!

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think Forrest will be here for the 10 tbh

10. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, been more than a few occasions where he's looked like he's struggling the last few seasons. Definitely need to look at the position, as Gamboa doesn't seem up to much in the limited chance he's had.

Just as long as it's not that dumpling, Callum Paterson :40:

Just Kieran likes this.
  11. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Well happy with this news. One of our best signings in recent times.

12. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

One player who has committed his future to Celtic is Mikael Lustig. The 30-year-old signed a two-year extension to his deal this week with Rodgers pleased to keep the right-back.

"I came in here and everyone talked about him being injury prone and what not,” he said. "He has virtually trained every day and has played in most of our games. He is a real leader in the dressing-room.

"I sat and spoke to him a few months back and told him I wanted him to stay. Mika is very much part of what we are doing here. He is a multi-functional player. He can play right-back and centre-half, and is a top international player. I am delighted he is staying.”

14. Swervedancer Guest

Let's not forget Miller is going to be one for the future too :notworthy I'm convinced he's going to make an impact on the left side of the field. He and KT would be excellent when other players move on.

A right midfield midfielder is the man we want to fill that gap. We are moving in the right direction.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He's 30 and we're on 5. Much though I'd love it, he's not likely to make it. :54:

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Mikael Lustig admits he yearns to play out his career with Celtic and has already set his sights on winning another new contract with the Hoops.

The Swedish defender settled doubts over his immediate future by penning a two-year extension to his current deal last week.

However, at 30, and feeling as fit as ever, the full-back believes he can prolong his time in Glasgow further still.

Signed by Neil Lennon from Rosenborg under freedom of contract five years ago, Lustig has overcome some persistent injury problems to become one of the most influential players at the club.

He said: 'I'm pleased to get the new deal over the line. I've been here a long time and obviously I like playing here so I'm really happy. I've been here five years already so this almost feels like home now.

'My family like it here and everything is going well, not just on the football side but in normal life as well.

'I am still just 30, so hopefully I have a few years left in me. You never know how your body is going to react but the last two seasons have been really good so hopefully I am going to have the opportunity to sign another contract as well.'

Described by current manager Brendan Rodgers as one of the 'pillars' of his squad, Lustig admits that he and his representatives had sought contingency options in the event that Celtic were not minded to make an acceptable offer.

Soundings were made both in England and the continent but the 55-times capped defender had no interest in simply chasing the fattest financial package on offer. Nor has he ever viewed Parkhead as a stepping stone to the English Premier League, a route trodden by erstwhile team-mates like Virgil van Dijk and Victor Wanyama.

I can understand why some people maybe think like that,' he continued. 'Before you know what Celtic is it's easy to say you want to stay for just one or two seasons then go to the Premier League.

'In my opinion Celtic is a massive club and it's really hard to get that somewhere else. The money is obviously better down south but it's hard to find that many clubs in England that are bigger than Celtic.

'Of course you never know what might happen or whether the club will want you to stay so you have to make sure you're not left surprised if they tell you they're not going to renew your deal.

'So we looked at some other clubs in other countries as well. But I like it here and wanted to stay with this club.

'It didn't distract me too much. Of course you think about it a little bit in the back of your mind but the way the team has been playing lately has been brilliant so focusing on doing well for Celtic has not been difficult.'

Lustig's first full season in Glasgow saw the club not only compete in the Champions League group stages but qualify for the last 16, where they went out to Italian champions Juventus.

The club's European fortunes subsequently dipped but, with Rodgers on board in place of Lennon's successor Ronny Deila, Lustig feels like Celtic is on an upward curve again.

'For the first time in a couple of years it feels like we are going for something big,' he continued. 'It also feels like we are going to get better every year and that we don't need to sell the best players.

'We want to develop so that in a few years we can become a good Champions League team that is not just happy to be there but can get past the group stages. It's a long road but it feels like we've made a good start. '

Like so many at Parkhead, Lustig feels he has improved under Rodgers' management: 'The way he wants to play suits me. Before he came I played maybe a couple of games a season at centre-half but this year I have probably played up to 10 games in a back three.

'I am really enjoying playing football in a different way and that has developed me.'

On Sunday, the Premiership leaders kick off their Scottish Cup campaign against Albion Rovers on the synthetic surface of Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium.

'It's a surface that we don't usually play on,' added Lustig. 'We know it's going to be a little bit difficult but we have proven that even if we don't play good we always find a way to win.'

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  19. TheHappyLoss

Was his substitution at half time just to give Jozo a run or did he get a knock ?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Hoops boss is still monitoring the progress of Mikael Lustig after the Swede felt stiffness in his back at the weekend.