1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesut Özil retires from German national team after racism row

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Murph-E, Jul 22, 2018.

Discuss Mesut Özil retires from German national team after racism row in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freitassen

Bootlicker. He wants to lick the * of a dictator and have no consequences. There is also a large number of kurds in Germany that wouldn't exactly approve of a national team player being so glad to hug a guy who drops bombs on them. A guy that was regularly going to the news and calling all germans nazis. And he sees absolutely nothing wrong on people being shocked with this and thinks it's racism. It's because of * like this that it's becoming harder and harder to fight against racism.

It's a common trick though, few years ago when some Grey Wolves (a far right nationalist turkish group, for those who dont know it) were found trying to infiltrate swedish parties, their reaction was also cry 'racism! islamophobia!" as loud as they could.

Good riddance, and hopefully, if he feels so "discriminated" in Germany, he can * off to Turkey and help jailing political dissidents for his beloved Erdogan. *.

2. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Let's not pretend that the abuse he receives regarding his Turkish roots or the fact that he's a Muslim is only a recent thing due to the picture with Erdogan.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He’s a fantastic player who gets unfairly criticised because he doesn’t run about like a headless chicken.

4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Immensely talented. Spineless. When his country needed him at 1-0 down to S Korea he looked completely disinterested.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Worth reading the thread for this comment alone. :56:

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I personally think he's a bit of an idiot and his decision to meet Erdogan multiple times in recent years is questionable at best. Especially given the man's record on human rights and his power grab in Turkey. He's completely destroying Ataturk's legacy and essentially turning the country into a dictatorship. And that's not even taking into consideration his comments on Germany in the last few months.

That said, that doesn't justify racist or sectarian comments directed towards Özil. I think it's possible to sympathise with him to an extent and yet also believe that it was ignorant and wrong to pose with Erdogan like that. I know he says it wasn't about politics, but that's BS.

7. The Celtbot

Özil can't cry racism after embracing Erdogan. This all happened before the most recent elections which made him look like a * knowingly or not.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yup his ‘President’ in his and Gundogan’s word.

M 67 likes this.
  9. Nasser

I can see why he got some abuse for his lazy attitude but as far as the politics goes he's a Turkish German and as much as I dislike Erdogan 2nd generation Turkish immigrants are very proud of their heritage and Turkish nationalism is a big part that, he's also right about getting more stick than other players because of his race, it's the same in England. He is though a bit overrated for me and can be very very lazy in games.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. M 67

But I’m specifically talking about the reaction to this photo being labelled “racist”. If it was a 2nd gen Russian-German posing with Putin, he’d be getting * as well.

He obviously didn’t expect the reaction he got (Christ knows why), he should’ve known better, but he’s trying to deflect away for it (in my opinion).

El Greco likes this.
  11. Murph-E

Bayern President Uli Hoeneß’s response to Mesut Özil’s statement.

Sounds to me like he's deflecting from the racism issue and trying to whip up the feeling against Ozil. He's a creative attacking mid who isn't a good tackler, it has been known his entire career. Playing up to the "wee * doesn't get stuck into tackles!!" crowd and ignoring the actual issue.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  12. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

[​IMG]

How much criticism did Lothar Matthaus get for this picture?

Murph-E likes this.
  13. Murph-E

Uli Hoeneß

Interesting Ozil bringing up the issue of racist sentiment makes this fella so furious. Certainly didn't feel too bad about cheating his country out of é28.5million. Sounds like a hun.

Pablo87, Xatraps and Clint Eastwood like this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Mesut was in reflective mood about his decision.

[​IMG]

15. El Greco

The UK mainstream media seems again to be out of step on this one. Ozil is clearly playing the race card - interestingly the same way Erdogan does. Playing the victim however seems to have worked well in North London and most Arsenal fans seem even more in love with him.

For what it is worth (a little Off Topic) - I think Ozil felt as German as the Albanian contingent felt Swiss in the Swiss National team during the WC. IE - not at all. Turks assimilate the worst in Germany according to official statistics - this is mind blowing when you think African immigrants integrate better into German society than Turks. Turks also have amongst the lowest educational qualifications of all the German immigrants - and we are talking 2nd and 3rd generation Turks. Albanians also integrate very poorly. My misses is a teacher and she educates refugees and immigrants from across the planet. She said that last year the teachers agreed to formulate a separate class just for the Albanian students because they were so troublesome and unruly. To put it into context - Afghan students, Chinese, Colombians etc all perform better in class with less problems - than the Sunni Albanian students.

16. Murph-E

Recurring sentiment amongst European players of non-European heritage.

Clint Eastwood and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Markybhoy

At the top level of the game he is one of the most over-rated players I can think of. A man down when the going gets tough.

Twisty likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Don’t need to go that far, how often have you seen well he’s * English int he? Being labled at somebody playing for Scotland.

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Happens everywhere. Andy Murray is British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Yup, always happens mate. I can see those who it happens to would feel hard done by when it happens though.

Raoul Duke likes this.