1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Messi v Ronaldo

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Marty McFly, Dec 12, 2017.

Discuss Messi v Ronaldo in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The fact neither Messi or Ronaldo has scored in the knockout stages of a World Cup is a strange stat..

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye there no mbappe anyway.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Portugal and the Portuguese aside, there are only 3 kind of people in this world that rate Ronaldo above Messi.

Huns, the English and Madrid fans.
    And they all have one thing in common, royalist superiority issues.
    The huns, because they cream over anything English, the English because they cream over anything that has graced their land and claim as their own. Madrid fans because they are arseholes.

On the other hand, there is only one type of person who rates Messi over Ronaldo....

Everyone else.

4. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Messi was better between 2009-2015, Ronaldo has been better than Messi over the past three years.

Messi's peak was definitely better than Ronaldo's though, especially the year he scored 91 goals.

5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They are both egotistic * who make their teams weaker. Messi is acting like he's Argentina's manager or the head of their FA, while Andre Silva cannot shine properly when the selfish Ronaldo is in play. plus the horrible diving. A real man would try to get past an opponent every time.
    The third * has had similar effects on Brazil, and the sooner they get dumped and he gets sent to a military hairdresser, the better.

6. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Biggest load of *, iniesta not even on it Beckham 9th just above zidane, Gerrard above di stefano, Owen above platini, Owen even on that list

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    mihajlovic

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Messi has just had a better season than Ronaldo, individually.

Lilac Wine and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have a day off.

10. Keano88

Never scored on a wet and windy night against Stoke either.

Bottle merchants.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’ll bang the Beckham drum forever because for me he was a fantastic footballer that is less known for his ability than his PR and modelling career which is a shame. A giant for his country and world class delivery.

However, he is by no yard stick whatsoever one of the 10 greatest footballers in history. To even suggest it is laughable.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Messi's a poor man's Bojan..

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It’s a fact tho and a weird one..

14. Nasser

Messi edges it for me, Messi is the number 1 of all time but Cristiano Ronaldo is a clear number 2 of all time. They are both better than anyone that come before. There is a real hatred of Ronaldo that clouds peoples minds he the best all round player ever but as far as out and out genius then Messi wins.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don’t buy into any of those types of stats about not doing this or that for their country.

If the prototype greatest footballer in the history of the world, a goalscoring robot, who has no weakness and can beat 11 men at the drop of a hat and tap it in happens to be born in a * footballing country he can never be considered the greatest because of his team mates? Makes zero sense.

If Messi chose Spain 15 years ago that 1 decision means he’s the greatest but because he’s stuck with the country of his birth suddenly Pele, Maradona and Ronaldo are better? Complete bullshit.

Aidan O’Shea and Lilac Wine like this.
  16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Boring debate..

Answer to "Who's the better footballer?" is Messi for me, but Ronaldo deserves to be neck-and-neck in terms of Ballon d'Or's with the accomplishments and numbers he has produced over the past 10 years.

One of the biggest compliments you can give Ronaldo is that he has genuinely outperformed (or achieved more than) Messi some years and pushed him all the way in others. That in itself is huge, as Messi is the GOAT for me and no one else around could have pushed Messi like Ronaldo has.

17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

And last season, stat wise

18. dmccourt95

Just checked that list, to sum up how * it is salah is on it

19. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    They are both serious rivals to be the greatest Club players ever,but neither are the greatest International Players ever.

20. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :56: And Stevie GAt least Owen won a Balon but the amount of players better than Van Basten is making me laugh tears.
    To be fair, only 5 English players have won the Balon and Owen is one of them. You are right though, he's never in the top 40 ever players.

It made me laugh but I guess it's a bit unfair on the players, as only Ronaldo would've tweeted his followers to vote in the poll.

Beckham is definitely one of the best crossers of a ball I've seen. I've said it before on here, I've never seen a player cross a ball after it bounced off the grass unnaturally and he'd somehow adjust his feet so quickly he'd still ping it as if it was a bowling green. He was a fantastic player but again not in the top 40, there's been too many players since time began.

Messi's trademark quarterback pass is the best I've seen for assists though. He did it again for Aguero yesterday and Alba gets a lot of joy from it. It's incredibly accurate and defenders can't do anything about it.

Just watched a biographical film on Netflix called Messi. It's a mixture of interviews with family, friends, Cruyff, Barca people, Barca players etc and real life footage of him as a kid growing up playing football and recreated drama of him growing up.

It's very good.

What was interesting was listening to the older guys talk about who is the best. One guy says Messi is and another guy, who seems a bit of a philosopher says, "no please, don't mention 'The Black Pearl' Pele when talking about the best, Pele lived in a different stratosphere."

I've seen some footage on YouTube and read some articles about Pele and I can accept that opinion. Some of the skills he had were phenomenal and he was the first world superstar.

Personally I think it's Messi due to his consistency and subtley but in the end they all agree, including Cruyff (who is definitely in the top 10), it's stupid to make comparisons, they all lived in different eras. Maradona was a leader of men and his personality was a force of nature too.

The younger players and friends all say Messi of course but Maradona probably said it best when he sent Messi a video message. "Don't listen to what people say, who is the best in the world doesn't matter right now, we can decide that when you've stopped playing, You will be the best but for now just enjoy it, I love you Leo." And blows him a kiss :notworthy Then it shows you Messi aged 13 in Barca getting asked who his favourite player is, "Maradona". "Do you want to play like him?" "No."

I wish they had footage of Jinky and other Celtic greats back in the day cause watching Messi's footage is incredible.

From what I've read Jinky was a class apart as well from age 5 onwards.