1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting Mayweather would have a realistic chance. I do disagree with the idea that Conor would stand with him though, or that leg kicks would play a major part in any hypothetical bout.

It’s wont happen though imo, and neither should it. Floyd is old, small in comparison and to be honest, looked like * in his last fight in the ring.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Why wouldn’t leg kicks play a part? Or body kicks, or head kicks?

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Well, firstly he isn’t exactly a notorious leg kicker. We’re not talking about Mayweather squaring off against a world class Muay Thai fighter here, we’re talking about a guy who is more known for his straight kicks to the body and someone who uses them more to setup opportunities to throw hands.

Secondly, if he’s kicking him in the leg then the fight is taking place with both guys on their feet, which imo is exactly where Conor wouldn’t want it to be.

Finally, leg kicks are kinda a ‘money in the bank’ move in that the effect accumulates over time leaving the receiver unable to continue, or at least severely impaired. It would kinda be like Mayweather approaching it with the idea of jabbing the body in the hope that he could tire his opponent out in round 4/5...it would ignore the reality that the fight would likely be over in the first 15 seconds or so with McGregor taking him down and submitting/ground and pounding him being the most likely outcome. I mean, in all these boxer in MMA type scenarios it doesn’t exactly make for a compelling fight - you either knock the MMA fighter out immediately or get taken down a few seconds after.

5. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    ..................Lets be honest anyway.....the whole thing was ridiculous. And it wont stop there. Not after that was the highest grossing fight in history and only one of the two guys was a boxer. Im convinced all this mixing up sports and placing top name sportsmen from different sports against one another will just snowball now.

Next it'll be Phil Taylor v Rodger Federer at snooker.............

King of Kings likes this.
  6. Nasser

When you throw a leg kick of any kind you leave your self open to be punched, Floyd would catch Conor a lot and he would also close the range, a kickboxing fight I would say it's a fairly even fight because Floyd is just so many levels ahead of Conor's boxing and Conor mainly relies on his boxing, but as this would be normal MMA rules then I'd expect Conor to take Floyd down and sub him fairly early.

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Funny thing is people would still watch it, Messi playing McGregor at darts would probably make both of them Millions.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Canny believe there’s actually boxing fans that think Mayweather would seriously have a chance of beating Conor in a MMA fight :giggle1:

Conor would murder him.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  9. Pacific Ocean Blue

Mayweather is a shitebag, there is no way he will ever fight in the Octagon. McGregor would kill him

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Anybody that thinks they'll fight in the octagon is an idiot..

A boxer who mastered the art of defensive boxing and didn't like being hit, retired at 40 plus is somehow gonna get in the cage and allow his self to be humiliated and tapped out for his first pro loss in front of a world wide audience?

Sounds plausible..

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Is there anyone actually saying he has a realistic chance under MMA rules?

12. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Im no Mayweather's biggest fan either. But you cant call him a shitebag. He's fought every single big name in boxing at any weight he has fought at. You cant accuse him of dodging anybody. He might be a really boring and annoying boxer to watch, he might have won the vast majority of his fights in boring monotonous points victories....but he has fought absolutely everybody..........and didnt lose any of his fights into the bargain.

Just becasue he's not stupid enough to get in an octagon with McGregor doesnt mean he's a shitebag. He also couldnt beat Usain Bolt in the 100m sprint but that doesnt mean he's a shitebag for not racing him

King of Kings likes this.
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Realistically though, he’s a undefeated legendary fighter and not in any way a shitebag :giggle1: apart from the fact he comes across as a bit of and *.

He won’t fight in the Octagon because he old, brittle handed, would likely lose against any big name opponent, and could probably still make £40-50m by fighting in the ring again. Washed up old boxers, WWE ‘athletes’ and NFL players have found their way into the cage when the proce is right, and in some cases had a fair bit of success, so it’s not exactly some ungodly place that your typical prizefighter is going to be worried about entering.

14. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think the first thing mcgregor would do is try to take it to the ground aswell, but how can you say conor wouldn't try to use kicks? Imo that would be his other route rather than trying to box mayweathers. Watch conor's fight against denis siver, he was throwing all sorts of spinning kicks and that was against an actual mma fighter.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think he would use them in a hypothetical kickboxing rules fight, but under MMA rules it just seems a bit daft to me. It would play into Mayweathers hands imo, it’s not like he’s such a high level kicker that Mayweather timing him and stepping in with a straight right is that far fetched, just seems a bit high risk. I could see him throw a few from range to try and establish distance and upset rhythm but really don’t think it would go beyond that, and he would end up taking him down very soon.

The thing about Denis Siver is......he’s not Floyd Mayweather. His only real striking pedigree seems to be an German * kickboxing championship, which is obviosuly impressive in its own right, but it’s night and day compared to being not only an undefeated multiple weight world champion, but also an all time great who is more than capable of hurting McGregor with his hands. I would also imagine Siver being fairly competent on the ground given his Judo and Sambo background, which makes me think McGregor would rather keep it on his feet.

I honestly think he would want to get it done quickly and efficiently as possible, rather than * about. Either way though, it’s not something Mayweather should entertain the idea of. In the ring they had the whole ‘McGregor is much bigger/younger/stronger’ angle that at least made it a bit intriguing. It doesn’t really work for Mayweather who probably walks around at a lower weight than most UFC featherweights who McGregor already completely dwarfs.

Nasser likes this.