1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    If its a straight up toe to toe fight boxers will win all day as soon as its on the deck the boxers are finished its that simple, you will have exceptions but rarely

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

2. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    To argue that point. Couture was a lot, lot older than the average fighter when he hit his prime, he didn't even start fighting in mma until he was 34. To compare him to a brain damaged, past it boxer just because they were around the same age is daft. I do think 9 times out 10 a boxer gets destroyed in the octagon though.

King of Kings likes this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The fact that Couture was roughly the same age as Toney is completely irrelevant. One was one of the best MMA fighters on the planet, frequently headlining cards and beating the crap out of world class MMA fighters. The other has had 80 odd professional bouts, was the best part of a decade removed from his prime, fat and punch drunk ffs. When you use an example like that it should be pointed out how flawed it is, and how holding up the opposite case (the MMA fighter getting KO’d very quickly) as ‘proof of what happens when a boxer steps into the Octagon’ is every bit as valid and equally as stupid. It isn’t arrogance to point that out.

And no, my line of enquiry isn’t that a world class boxer beats a world class MMA fighter in the Octagon ffs :giggle1: my opinion on these crossover type events has always been consistent - I believe a boxer going to MMA has a better chance than an MMA fighter going into boxing (at a similar level) because they are at least superior at one aspect of MMA - a punchers chhance if you will. I also believe that the average MMA fighter would last longer in the ring than a boxer would in the cage because of the multiple facets of MMA. I do believe though that holding up one fight as a kind of precedent is daft as *, particularly when there is evidence to the contrary.

4. dmccourt95

Could see it happening in ufc mainly for the fact that they’d probably agree beforehand that everything is done on feet and McGregor comes out the winner just like McGregor managed to come out the boxing looking respectable mayweather will this. Then hopefully after that both can * off into the sunset unless McGregor wants to actually have a legit fight again

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It isny gonny happen.

Calm doon.

6. Darnok

That is really not true at all. A skilled kickboxer, especially a Muay Thai fighter, will beat a skilled boxer. The lead leg of the boxer will get low-kicked to death and much of boxing defence leaves them vulnerable to knees. Once it gets to the clinch, the Muay Thai fighter will dominate too. If you don't understand how to check a kick, you are in big trouble from any kind of kickboxer. In fact the exception you mention will be the other way around: the pure boxer will rarely beat the pure kickboxer.

Edit: obviously I mean a MMA fighter who has a kickboxing base.

7. Grimm You belong to me!

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Rodgers V Levein :boxing:

8. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I'm talking boxer v anyone other than a boxer not kick boxer vrs any other boxer, a boxer who is trained in one way of fighting v a mixed martial arts fighter trained in 5.6.7 different sports will have a disadvantage

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Boxer wins a boxing match
    MMA fighter wins an MMA match

Its like me and Stephen Hawking he'd horse me at chess but I'd run rings round him at 5s

10. Nasser

In a MMA fight under UFC rules Conor would take Floyd down and sub Floyd, but if they took away the ground element it would be a far more interesting fight. I'd still pick Conor on points as he would be more varied with his strikes, but it would be much closer than people think, especially if it was 5 rounds Floyd might KO Conor late. Conor's not a kickboxer, his style is mostly boxing and even a kickboxers tend to have weak boxing so they have to fight out of range against a boxer of Floyd level as soon as they get into the pocket your dead meat, good luck trying to get Floyd in a clinch.

11. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    People should watch James Toney's brief venture into MMA. Destroyed by Randy Couture. As soon as it went to ground (which was very quickly) it was game over. And boxing critics say James Toney's defence is only bettered in boxing by Mayweather.

The transition simply doesnt work....it would be even more of a mismatch than Conor's venture into boxing. Mayweather knows this.....isnt stupid.....and definitely doesnt need any more money. So its definitely not going to happen!!

12. Nasser

Toney was a fat mess by that stage in career, and they put him against a wrestler who said he was never going to risk fighting Toney on the feet, Randy he had one tactic take him to the ground as quick as he could because if he couldn't he was in deep trouble. I do think Conor would do the same as he would be stupid to trade with Floyd.

13. Darnok

His style is mostly boxing, but he has some nice, effective kicks too like his teep, his spinning back kick and his hook kick. Without the threat of a takedown, he would surely throw a lot more of them too. I'm not so sure he would go straight to the ground and even in the boxing match Floyd was turning and bending over to get the ref to separate them.

14. Nasser

Floyd was just playing with him and having fun like a sparring session when he was doing that. I remember watching it the first time and thinking Conor is doing really well and then I watched it again and see Floyd just laughing and * about, he was so confident that he could take Conor power he was * with him and then turned the heat on when Conor was gassed and lit him up. Conor said Floyd does not have big power, but he said he just felt his head getting pushed back constantly by his punches. I'd expect Conor to want to make a statement and go for a 1st round submission, and then you can imagine the gloating. Floyd kept tweeting videos of Conor being submitted by Diaz so I can see Conor wanting revenge and posting videos of Floyd tapping.

15. ynwa1987

Dont disagree with some of what you have said but your example is pretty bad.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The transition does work. The same way it does for any other high level martial artist going into MMA - learn the basics of the other aspects of the game, and you can make any style successful.

Why is the Toney vs Couture fight held up as proof of anything, but the Silvia vs Mercer fight basically forgotten about? Look at the styles that have been successful in MMA - different styles of wrestling, Judo, BJJ, western boxing, Muay Thai, Dutch kickboxing, even things like karate. Some moreso than others - grappling arts tend to do well because of the cage format, and the sheer number of high level grapplers who enter the sport compared to high level boxers or Muay Thai fighters. Now, none of this means Mayweather would beat McGregor in the Octagon, but looking at a video of Toney vs Couture and viewing it as proof of that, or even more bizarrely that boxing simply doesn’t work in MMA altogether. Punching someone in the face hard and fast has always worked and always will :boxing:

17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Yes but no matter how hard you try you can't wipe out years of training and replace it with new training.

If you remember the first fight - the boxing match - McGregor couldn't stop hitting Floyd with the rabbit punches when in close. Illegal in boxing..not in MMA. That's an example of years of training - its the fighter's instinct ...he can't just change it...even although he knows he shouldn't be doing it

In an MMA fight Floyd's instinct would be to clinch when in close..(again, yeats of training). At which point he'd be taken to the ground...fight over.

It's a much more difficult transition from boxing to MMA than the other way around

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t really disagree with any of that other than the last point, which is why I was on here before their fight saying that any talk of Conor hitting harder than Floyd, or having the better gas tank was crazy. What I would say though is that most top level MMA guys currently have transitioned into MMA after excelling at a singular martial art. To bridge that gap between Being outstanding at a singular art like BJJ, wrestling or kickboxing and does take years in most cases, but it’s by no means insurmountable- in fact it’s probably the most tried and tested road to the top in MMA currently.

I would disagree on the last point. There’s really too many variables to say much conclusively on it, but I’ve seen more high level athletes from other sports transition into MMA and be successful than the other way around, by a long way imo. It all depends on the individual really, and yes, a 40+ year old brittle handed boxer fighting a high level MMA fighter a decade younger than him and about 20lbs bigger than him would likely be a recipe for disaster.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Leg kicks would destroy Mayweather, most boxers have legs like sparrows, especially at Mayweathers weight and at his age if he tried to bulk up his legs he'd probably lose a lot of mobility.

I don't see it ever happening but it would probably be good for Mayweather he can rake money in again and he can only boost his reputation, even if he got knocked out like Jose Aldo people would just write it off and say fair play to him for giving it a go against someone seen as one of the best of all time in MMA.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Can’t believe people are trying to debate this happening or Floyd having a chance.

Conor could end the fight any way he wanted apart from boxing him to a decision.