1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Ooooft that is some detective work. Must have taken about an hour :57:.

Mayweather schooled him. No doubt about it.

Fight went as everyone (who's ever watched boxing) expected and Mayweather's tactics were spot on.

The only reason McGregor landed as much was because Mayweather was going forward, like he said he would.

Huge respect to McGregor for lasting as long but that was down to his stamina and Mayweather waiting until he was really knackered before finishing him off.

King of Kings likes this.
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don't like the fact I even had to tbh, if people could just stand by their original opinion it would've all been good, I've never seen someone react to calling a sporting even wrong in such a bizarre way.

It didn't take long though - there's actually an endless supply of this sort of thing and it was fairly easy to remember when I was arguing against it at the time.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You're not sure where I've pulled comments you made on this Forum from? Seriously? :56:

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    :34:

I believe my work here is done Paul.:102:

Free the Adblock likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Later Mike Tyson :56:

6. ynwa1987

Pauls tongue in cheek predictions aside what you think of this body shot in the 9th?

Did it hurt Mayweather a little and did Mcgregor * up by taking his back and giving Mayweather time?
    Ref said it was a low blow but looked like it was to the side of the body to me.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I find it really hard to say from the angle tbh, and the fact that the camera was still panning in. It looked on the border to me rather than a definite low blow. I don't think he was dramatically hurt though as he came back in the offensive really quickly and actually stepped it up, but yeah McGregor definitely smothered his own work. If he had cornered him but backed off I'm sure he could've got some good shots away but easier said than done I guess.

8. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I just paused it... Definitely low.

He should have kept going though - "play the whistle" if you know what I mean :84:

9. ynwa1987

Ỳea looked to me that it wasnt low but dont watch boxing much so wasnt really sure, bit of debate about it online at the moment. He could have capitalized a bit better , he said after that taking his back there cost him alot of energy, dont think it would have mattered much in the end tbh.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His best shot was the uppercut in Round 1 which would have knocked out 90% of MMA fighters when wearing 4oz gloves and Mayweather walked through it. Not many boxers have hit Mayweather coming forward with an uppercut up the pipe.

11. JimMc

Pro boxing is a panto
    so please anyone save the knowledge or imagined experiences of boxing.

* boxing top level (outside of some fixed olympics) is the real deal and a whole different story, but pro boxing is a panto and as bad and staged as 1970's wrestling.

I don't personally care for all the Conor shyte talk and do not even watch him talking that, but he is a super impressive person, a one in a million personality away from the hype.

I admire only what McGregor has done for himself and his family and do not take anything he says pre fight serious.
    I am also old enough and wise enough to know the anti Irish hating 'a typical hun' would enjoy misunderstanding the man, hence my reaction here to seeing him called a * here.
    All pro boxers have to behave stupid to get on, all McGregor has done has taken over their panto show!
    He would be the first since Ali to be able to do that. That's how smart he is!

And once again to that minority of immature people on here and the huns who hate him automatically because he is proud of being Irish!

Yeah the Irishman really got it right up himself didn't he.

headlines today

Conor McGregor will earn £1billion despite loss to Mayweather with book and movie deal
    CONOR McGregor will earn £1billion despite losing the Fight of the Century

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The vast, vast majority of pro boxing or mma goes ahead with absolutely no panto stuff at all. This fight had to have loads of it to attract the interest of the wider public. Not all pro-boxers have to act stupid to get on or even close to it. Looking at the Ring Magazine pound for pound rankings there's actually none that give it much chat at all.

There's nothing anti-Irish about not liking Conor McGregor ffs :giggle1: at some point you just have to accept that his personality is polarising.

13. ynwa1987

Lot of nonesense and I say that as a Mcgregor fan. Was in Dublin for st paddys day alot of Irish people I spoke to dislike him and alot of them were from the area he was from, Crumlin I think .

14. Nasser

* boxing is low level and on the whole boring to watch, it does not compare in the slightest to pro game, it's like comparing Bellshill Athletic to Celtic the difference is huge.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why do so many Irish people hate him? I always see Irish boys r/mma saying how much * he gets back home and a lot of people think of him as an embarrassment.

Edit: these are Conor fans by the way, not like they're anti Conor and trying to get people to believe them. Seen some stuff posted from different Irish media and some of it seems a bit OTT.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What the * are you talking about? No one in here has mentioned anything about hating McGregor because he's proud to be Irish. It's mostly been a MMA v Boxing divide in here.

You've just completely made * up and then posted nothing to do with the actual fight.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I'm not Irish but feel I could probably take a stab at this. I imagine he's overall very popular in Ireland but his personality will always divide people. He plays up to the most stereotypical view of Irish people in America - violent, aggressive, loud, loves a drink etc. That' won't sit well with everyone.

Besides that I think he's extremely cocky (and often crosses over into complete delusion) which isn't the most attracticd trait to a lot of British or Irish sports fans.

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye but you'd think they'd support one of their own at the top of their game. Some of the stuff they posted, I couldn't imagine the reaction if journos over here spoke about Murray like that.

Kind of reminded the way the English media turn on the English National Team every couple of years.

19. ynwa1987

Dont know man its weird. Dont get me wrong hes obviously pretty popular hence the large traveling support he gets but its probably as someone else mentioned he has a polerizing attitude even if you are from Ireland.

What was weird was the guys that disliked him werent even just Irish or from Dublin , they were from Crumlin, his local area.

Traditionally Brittish people dont like flashy or arrogant people , in the US flaunting you wealth is much more accepted , I think because its a very capitalistic materialistic society. Over here that stuff is way more frowned upon. Could be something to do with that but im just guessing.

Personally I dislike stuff like that I cant ever imagine flaunting like watches or cars on my Instagram (if I had one) but cant help but like CM anyway. Think because I can see a more humble side to him as well and really like his fighting style.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :50: