1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Mayweather will definitely come forward. The 8oz gloves request and the consistent message of "if he makes it to the end, it's a win for him" strongly suggests that he'll bring the fight to McGregor. Probably not from the first round but I would expect to see him stand his ground and stamp his authority early.

The odds on this fight are the most mispriced of any sporting even I've seen imo. I'll be loading up on a Mayweather win. I found this which was pretty interesting for anyone thinking of putting money down:

"Most of the people just ask to bet McGregor," South Point oddsmaker Jimmy Vaccaro said. "They don't even care what the price is."

"As we know, anything can happen," Vaccaro said. "But truthfully, this thing should be 50-1. To me, it's absurd."

For reference, this guy is a vegas oddsmaker with 4 decades of experience and was one of the only guys in the world to create a line on Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson.

This is a rare occasion when a relatively niche sport becomes absolutely mainstream for one night and the hype surpasses the reality. It's a great opportunity to make some dough.

3. celtic warrior

It's * insane just how much this will earn in ppv buys around the world, uk alone if 2 million people buy it that's £40mill alone, imagine if charged at 19.95 in USA gotta assume 10 million might buy it that is just in ppv buys, again there is probably untold sponsor deals and such like being added to the pot as well

I'd happily let some * do my * in for 12 rounds if I was to get 20% of the overall take of a fight like this.

4. Darnok

It costs $90 in the US.

5. celts67

6. celtic warrior

:eek1::frown::sicksmile:99:

* me in *, 90! Jesus, who the * in their right mind is buying that PPV.

King of Kings likes this.
  7. Nasser

From that small video footage of the Paulie sparring, Conor looked like he had a lot of energy for the 10th round which is what they are saying that knockdown happened so I don't think him gassing is going to be a problem, the major problem I see Conor struggling with is Floyd's body shots that really is a way to completely zap your opponents energy.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    My cousin called this on so probably few of us round there chipping in. You couldn't/wouldn't pay this bill to watch yourself. Daunting though as it won't be starting till broad daylight here and I'll be off my face..

Haven't mentioned it to the missus yet though :fear:

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

This is one of the best interviews/breakdowns I've seen regarding the fight. Long but well worth a listen.

I don't think we'll see him gas to the extent that he simply won't be able to continue, but it's a safe bet that his energy levels and power will drop off considerably after the first few rounds. He's a front runner and at his best when he's in charge of the fight, but I very much doubt that will be the case here. You can see a drastic change in his body language when the initial quick start and power punches don't work.

Agreed on the bodywork. Mayweather will work the body from the opening bell imo, and I'm not sure Conor will be able to withstand it. I can picture a lot of this fight being fought at close range, an area where Mayweather is insanely underrated.

cidermaster and Nasser like this.
  10. Dianbobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    I was just rewatching the Canelo fight and yeh you are right. I'm not sure what the path to victory is for Conor. I hope he gets it done though.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Watching the Embedded's and Conor is training on his day off and having extra sparring sessions, Mayweather is walking about a shopping centre eating a Burger King and at a roller disco :56:

For the boxing fans the embedded videos are on the UFC official YouTube page. In the week leading up to the fights cameras follow the fighter day to day for some behind the scenes stuff :50:

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I hope there's no kids or women about for him to leather. :fear:

13. Darnok

You're very invested in this fight.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yes as no.

I'm intrigued by it. I'm looking forward to it now much more than before, but still not enough to pay for it or even watch it live. It's circus level * that does nothing for either sport and is simply an exercise is maximising these guys bank balances, but it has the potential to be entertaining (it also has the potential to be completely underwhelming mind).

I'll be putting a lot of money on it which obviously makes it more interesting to me than it might otherwise be.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Just saw Paulie and McGregor going at it again at the Vegas arrival thing :giggle1:

Paulie really needs to chill, they're days away from the fight now. If he still has something to say he should wait until after it's done and then call him out if that's what he wants to do. Sucks because he's a good analyst and compared to the likes of Schaub a complete breath of fresh air.

16. celts67

17. Nasser

I think Conor actually felt sorry for him there for a minute, Paulie needs to laugh it off as he's coming across like an angry ex that still have feelings for Conor, it's embarrassing to watch. I think he is panicking as Dana is going to release the full 12 rounds and it sounds like Conor bullied him.

18. lockerbie-bhoy

was speaking to a boxer I know this morning; he reckons McGregors best chance will be to start it fast and try and land a KO in 1st round otherwise Mayweather will just punish him up with jabs and body shots and embarrass him. Was going to stick a couple of quid on McGregor but no so sure now

19. Al Bootyerbaws

Paulie is making a * of himself its quite sad.

20. Nasser