1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Compper

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 19, 2017.

Discuss Marvin Compper in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The very definition of 'clamped'.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  2. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Scott Sinclair

3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * me

I point out a few niggles and reservations ive got and others might have and the hens come out to cluck. He hasnt even pulled on a hoops shirt yet and * are going biccies.

* some staunch ones in here.

Again, i hope he does well, just hope our the problems in our defence are not hoping to be resolved with one 32 year old.

Calm your knickers ffs :56:

4. jj81

Neil lennon ( year younger ) when signed

5. jj81

Seen him play and happy with it.

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The fact he cant play in the europa league really frustrates me and if we dont bring in a defender who can, we could face going into more games short at the back

7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Nope, naughty boy Mr Tardelli

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You are the only one "going biccies" (whatever the * that means). You say he hasn't even pulled on a hoops shirt yet but you are the one who is writing him off before he even pulls on said shirt.

You made some * observations and @jc1967 debunked every one of them.

If knickers are to be calmed then it's your lacey panties that need a dose of valium.

clonbhoy, JML67, HNTB67 and 1 other person like this.
  9. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Feels more optimistic about this after reading the quotes from the German sports journalist.

Knowing he played 25 times last season, in which they finished 2nd, is also a good thought. Must have something about him.

Tommy25 and The IRA like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Derek Rae: Marvin Compper's best days are gone, but he can still be real leader for Celtic

Even though I’m now USA based, I still spend a big chunk of the year in Germany as one of the commentary voices for the Bundesliga’s international TV feed. In fact I’m just back from a spell of covering four games in five days to round out the calendar year.

It was no surprise to me when preparing for Stuttgart v Bayern, to receive a raft of tweeted questions from Celtic fans about the ability of RB Leipzig defender Marvin Compper. The highly respected Kicker magazine, my own football bible, first broke the news of a possible Compper-Celtic tie up a week ago.

Not even the most ardent Celtic fan would deny that the Hoops’ defence is the weakest area of the team. This has been exploited by many a side in the Champions League and also by Hearts in Sunday’s 4-0 thrashing that ended Celtic’s unbeaten domestic run at 69 games.

So where would Compper fit by way of improving a wobbly rearguard? First of all there needs to be a reality check. Celtic are not getting a defender whose services are in demand by countless Bundesliga clubs. Compper has played for his country, but a long time ago and his best days are behind him.

Curiously, the 32-year-old spoke recently of his affection for Leipzig and his desire to see his career out with a club whose dynamic counter pressing style has done much to enliven the Bundesliga scene since promotion 18 months ago.

But Compper is yesterday’s man at the Red Bull Arena. His acquisition in 2014 was an important statement of intent from a side realising a dream. He brought credibility and substance, having spent 18 months at Fiorentina, 5 years at Hoffenheim and with international nous.

This season he has been on the outside looking in at Leipzig. It’s hardly a shock to those of us who have watched their rapid rise at close hand. The policy is to sign only players between 19 and 23, so Compper no longer fits the profile of a Leipzig player. That he has appeared in just two Bundesliga matches this term, starting only the week five loss in Augsburg, tells its own story.

But here are the positives. Compper is an experienced, left footed central defender who is a slight improvement over what Brendan Rodgershas already at his disposal. He’s strong in the tackle and will win his share of duels plus he’s a decent enough passer from the back. He has played left back too but I doubt very much that’s where he’ll line up for Celtic.

Perhaps as important as anything will be Compper leadership qualities and the fact that he is naturally inquisitive. When he joined Hoffenheim in 2008, it was to sign up to a new and interesting project. Having helped them win promotion just months after arriving at the club, he built a reputation for being a good guy to have in the dressing room.

His move to Fiorentina in early 2013 also showed a willingness to try something different. Similarly his decision to join Leipzig for their promotion assault. I can imagine Compper feels Celtic would be an interesting new challenge in keeping with his previous career decisions, a chance to sample a new culture and football style.

Sometimes, a club needs a different sort of player once established in the upper echelon of any top flight league. That is true of Ralph Hasenhüttl‘s Leipzig, who will expect to be playing European football season in, season out.

A few have asked why bother signing a player who’s ineligible for the Europa League? I don’t think Brendan Rodgers has gone after Compper just for two games and let’s remember he‘s 32, not 42.

In short, Celtic fans expectations should be modest in this case. They are getting an old hand, someone who knows his way around a football pitch and wants to test himself in a brand new environment. But he’s not someone the rest of the Bundesliga is queuing up to sign.

There is respect for Celtic and their supporters in Germany, enhanced by the last couple of years of meeting Borussia Mönchengladbach and Bayern Munich in the Champions League. Every player and fan you speak to describes Celtic Park as an unforgettable place.

One last note, to pronounce Compper’s name properly just say the word ‘compare’ and you’ve nailed it. The comparison with his fellow central defenders at Celtic Park should be more than favourable.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport...__but_he_can_still_be_real_leader_for_Celtic/

Norm Peterson and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Bunk Moreland

Any player we sign from a top European league will be 'surplus' simply because the ones who are not surplus to their club will command a big transfer fee and wages, probably far more than we can afford to pay if we stick to our budget and also the SPFL is not an attractive place to play if you're a regular starter in the Bundesliga, EPL, Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A etc. So it's pretty simple, when signing players from the top leagues we have to go for players whose club is a) willing to let them go for regular first team football and b) won't pull our pants down over the asking price.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  12. aliceinsound

we have cash to spend, a million on a player with no resale value is more than affordable for us.

he was a first team player for the second best side in the bundesliga last year.

for me the problem with this signing is he wont able to play against zenit

13. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think Rodgers has brought him in looking at next season' champions league qualifiers

14. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Really?

15. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Is he good ?
    Can he make a 2 yard pass ? Without * it up ?
    Can he tackle ?
    Can he heed a baw ?
    Can he stay focused ?

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Can we remove the "Welcome to Celtic" portion of the thread title. It's giving me the fear.

Blochairnbhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Considering he is cup tied for the EL you don't have to be Inspector Clouseau to work that one out. :giggle1:

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How?

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He's not signed yet.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song: