1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Martin McGuinness Dies.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Marie, Mar 21, 2017.

Discuss Martin McGuinness Dies. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

My opinion of Martin McGuinness wouldn't depend on what others thought of him, no.

I never met the man. That feeds into why I'm not sure what to make of him.

2. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    RIP and thoughts with his friends and family.

3. Aidan O’Shea

Seen a quote on Facebook that he apparently quipped. Basically saying that he hopes Martin believing in Catholicism will end up sending him to *. Classy.

4. celts67

Swervedancer and StPauli1916 like this.
  5. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

RIP :shamrock:

BigWilly likes this.
  6. This Charming Man

First he was a servant to
    the Irish Republican movement. He then became a servant to the English Crown. Finally, he became a servant to Goldman Sachs EU.

Sold out the Irish people a long time ago, his demise began a long time before 2017.

leeso-ardoyne and Chavez like this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    My godfather was a prison officer here in Scotland and ended up working in the H-Blocks for a period in the 80s. He too came to understand the cause and enjoys listening to the odd rebel tune himself now. Grace is his favourite and after a vodka or two always asks me to get the guitar out for a rendition at any get togethers.

8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    This is something the British and particular English will never understand.
    What it is to be persecuted or occupied.
    They are the ones with their boot on the necks so they can't see it from any other viewpoint - how dare someone resist, how dare they challenge our view, how dare they not be happy with their lot.
    I've said to many people - if it was your county/town/neighbourhood would you resist?
    Of course you would. It's natural.
    I think it was Stan Collymore who recently said if it was Kent that was under French rule would people resisting the French be terrosits or freedoms fighter?
    I think that's the best analogy for the situation for the English. They still refuse to understand though.
    I have respect for guys like McGuiness. He wanted what was best not for just himself but his fellow man. He didn't sit and moan about his situation he did something about it.
    That is to be respected.

9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    That's a fair analysis from yourself.:50:

TESLA likes this.
  10. dowdalshillcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Norman Tebitt is a vile specimen, awful man.

11. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    Did his part for peace and his way with people helped build a better Northern Ireland. The peace process wouldn't have happened with him.

To be fair, the English are very different from those wacky Ulster Scot Presbyterians. In many ways they never wanted the hassle of the North. I would be cool on taking my political groundings from a dunce wife beater too.

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    People are going to be revisiting the deaths of loved ones whom died at the hands of the IRA and feel very different views from the majority on here. So to hear loyalist leaders and conservative politicians point out all the hurt he created and directed by McGuinness is a bit rich. These were people involved in a lot of cloak and dagger atrocities met out to both sides by a very active MI6 and special branch who used loyalist paramilitaries as an extended arm to murder and strike fear at the heart of nationalism. This was counterproductive as it turned a lot of young lads into Republican volunteers. All of this was whilst the British establishment was trying to destabilise any peace process whilst manipulating the media, and hence giving a perception of terrorism by one side only in the dirty war.

13. FannyHaddock

"First he was a servant to
    the Irish Republican movement. He then became a servant to the English Crown. Finally, he became a servant to Goldman Sachs EU.

Sold out the Irish people a long time ago, his demise began a long time before 2017."

You must take comfort being a bedfellow of Norman Tebbit and more bitterness than Ian Paisley!

Swervedancer likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    They still refuse to understand is exactly right. I've lost count at the amount of time's I've tried to make a point of people here seeing it from the other side..

It's not the kinda conversation I try to get in to with anyone to be honest as I don't know it all and didn't live through it but I find it staggering the lack of common sense in how they see it..

Swervedancer and Senna s1979 like this.
  15. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley

Indeed.....not far behind that evil witch he followed!!

dowdalshillcelt likes this.
  16. This Charming Man

Funny how you should say that, considering how friendly Paisley and McGuinness were. I don't think McGuinness lived his life to impress me, what I think of him isn't the culmination of his life's endeavors. To achieve peace you don't need to sacrifice your morals and ideals, only your desire for war. McGuinness in his later career started working against everything that it means to be an Irish Republican.

My reason for not taking to McGuinness is largely different to that of Tebbit's.

17. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

RIP Martin.

Fought for a just cause his whole life. He played a part no doubt in making me and everyone else born in the North who they are today and will always be remembered for his bravery

18. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Really? We all have to move on and help towards a peace process, i have lost members of my family including my uncle murdered by the B-Specials, i grew up with our family amongst many others burnt out of our houses in Ardoyne whilst the RUC encouraged and helped the Loyalist Hoardes , evacuated to the Gormanstown camps in the Republic whilst the men were defending the homes, i for one say * Bless you Martin and thanks for getting the IRA to the table for peace talks, i wish peace on all sides and harm to no man but in the day we all would have died for our Country, time and life moves on its time to build a new life and a new Ireland for our children no matter what the religion.P.S isn't anyone who takes a giro or pays tax a servant to the British Crown in your analogy. Bet you have mate!

19. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    In his early life, McGuinness undeniably caused much pain and suffering, but now he can only be but praised for his commitment to the peace process. Hume and McGuinness in the future will be remembered as giants of Irish politics....RIP

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. HailHoopy

RIP Martin :54:

This calls for sticking the rebs on now.

Swervedancer, CymruBhoy and belbhoy like this.