1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mark this thread down

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Rendog, Aug 13, 2017.

Discuss Mark this thread down in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Im predicting we will see a * pistols mark 2 soon.

2. Pinstripe

As in changing the face of music overnight?

3. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    No but rock and roll is dead and punk will try and revive it. Punk will explode again with the way things are going.

4. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Every song in the chart has a hip hop influence just now. The world is * up. That equals punk! Mark my words its coming soon.

5. Pinstripe

I hope you're right mate, not that I listen to much chart music nowadays but its always exciting musically when theres something different comes in and shakes it all up.
    Theres still alot of young talented bands out there but sadly radio stations wont give them air time.

Give us some of this...

The Thumb likes this.
  6. Bumblebee

There is bands out there saying stuff about what is going on in the world. Some are fortunate enough to slip through the cracks and get a bit of chart exposure and radio play but the music industry these days makes it so so hard for them to get their music out there to an audience who wouldn't normally hear them (unfortunately those lazy * are the biggest market). Mainstream audiences aren't willing to dig for music, if some idiot like Kim Kardashian endorses it or some reality tv show then that's the song for the week.

Anyway, amazing how relevant this song still is. Swap out a couple of names and you'd think it was written today.

clonbhoy likes this.
  7. clonbhoy

There is a strong argument to be made, one that I would agree with, that it was the * Pistols that started the ball rolling regarding music being packaged and marketed rather than just made. I certainly wouldn't consider them punk. In fact, while it might be straying into tinfoil hat territory, I don't think it is that outlandish to suggest that their very purpose was to subvert punk, even if they might not have been fully aware of it themselves.
    It was exceptionally clever from McClaren, who chose the right band and sold an image of offensive anarchism when they reality was anything but. It brought punk into the mainstream, made him a lot of money and influence and yet the Pistols didn't really have a punk ethos beyond a few songs and many of them don't stand up to true punk classics. You could argue that the Pistols caused the bang that propelled punk further and then later post-punk and new wave, but I think that overplays their influence greatly and downplays the punk scene that was already emerging and subscribes to what McClaren created as much as the reality.
    The Damned were the real pioneers of punk, while Cocksparrer have been playing since 1972, if not signed by a label until punk exploded after the carefully place bomb that was the * Pistols.
    If there is to be a '* Pistols' mark 2, it will merely be a change in the direction the marketing men want music to go in, rather than an organic development like the punk scene had been in London, or how the 'Madchester' scene did or the 'grunge' scene in Seattle.

I should point out that I am not trying to say the * Pistols music isn't punk rock, but that their ethos was contradictory to the spirit of punk and that they were carefully planned to create maximum exposure for limited financial outlay. It worked and it did change music, but deliberately so and they are probably more responsible for the rise of other easily marketable music than anything else!

8. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

we need a Zappa

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree with the above.

Although there will still be plenty of young people with a passion for music and for them, it's so much easier to find new music for free. I remember having to wait to hear something on the telly or at my friends before I discovered new bands, or I saw them live or read about them in a magazi e and took a chance on their cd.

10. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Was at a joy division cover night in Camden last night. The old fellas playing were spot on. If ya had of closed your eyes and listened i honestly couldn't have told the difference. Loads of people out there with a passion for the manic music still. You just have to go a bit further to find it perhaps. Only landing back now. Booking tomorrow of work already. Beast of a hangover on its way. Worth it tho.

Still some mad bands knocking about who can make a bit of noise

Rendog likes this.
  11. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off