1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Marco van Basten's Reform Proposals

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Moustache, Jan 20, 2017.

Discuss Marco van Basten's Reform Proposals in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Moustache

Haven't seen a thread for this anywhere, but it seems to be garnering quite a bit of attention.

Former Dutch international, and current FIFA Technical Director, Marco van Basten has announced a series of proposals that he believes will improve the current state of football. I've listed them below, but here's the sites I got the quotes from in case anyone wants to read them instead (Sky Sports, Squawka & 101 Great Goals).

ABOLITION OF THE OFFSIDE RULE:

“I am very curious as to how football would work without offside, I fear many people will be against it. I would be in favour of it, because football is increasingly resembling handball where nine players, plus the goalkeeper, pack the penalty area and [the defence] is like a wall. This would make the game more attractive, the attackers would have better chances, more goals would be scored. That’s what the fans want to see.”

"So if you play without offside you get more possibilities to score a goal."

MATCHES SPLIT IN TO FOUR QUARTERS:

“We want to have a game which is honest, which is dynamic, a nice spectacle so we should try to do everything to help that process.”

This change would also help the tactical quality of games: “the coach can have three times with his players during the game.”

INTRODUCTION OF 'ORANGE CARDS', FOUL LIMITS & SIN-BINS:

“Maybe an orange card could be shown that sees a player go out of the game for 10 minutes for incidents that are not heavy enough for a red card.”

“I’ve had the idea that a defender like in basketball can only commit five fouls, then he has to leave the field.”

REPLACING THE YELLOW CARD:

“One idea is to replace the yellow card with a time penalty of five or ten minutes. That frightens. It is more difficult with 10 against 11, let alone with 8 or 9.”

NO EXTRA TIME FROM THE KNOCKOUT ROUND ONWARD AND THE PENALTY SHOOTOUT WOULD BE REPLACED:

“I think everybody is pretty tired after 120 minutes.”

Maybe the player should start 25 meters from goal and then you can dribble the goalkeeper or shoot early," he said. "But you have to make a goal within eight seconds. It's more skill and less luck. It's maybe a bit more spectacular. It's more football but it's still nervous for the player."

ONLY CAPTAINS WOULD BE ALLOWED TO APPROACH THE REFEREE

“There can be too much complaining about the referees, which costs time. It would therefore be a good idea if, as in rugby, only one player of the team – the captain – should speak with the referee.”

EFFECTIVE PLAYING TIME IN THE FINAL 10 MINUTES (I.E. STOPPING THE CLOCK FOR THROW-INS)

"We therefore also discuss making the last ten minutes of the game a period of effective playing time… The ball must roll for the full ten minutes. Because when a team is winning near the end, they do everything they can to take up time, for example through substitutions.”

INCREASING THE NUMBER OF SUBS PER MATCH:

"There are good reasons for this as a coach, but that would mean a maximum of twelve substitutions. This would waste a lot of time. We also talk about one or two additional substitutions in the extension, which I would find good… However, the game and the game flow should not suffer from it and should not be fundamentally changed.”

LIMITING THE NUMBER OF MATCHES PLAYERS CAN PARTICIPATE IN:

"We do our best every day to generate even more money in football. But there is no money problem, there is already a lot of money in football. We need to focus on the quality of the game. We should reduce the number of 80 games at a level that is not the highest to 50 games at the top level. We have to help the top stars like Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahimovic, who want to see the fans, so they are mentally fresh and physically fit because they have fewer games to complete.”

He also proposed some changes at youth level:

UNLIMITED SUBSTITUTIONS:

"We are also discussing this, which is a possibility. However, only for youth competitions. But we must also think of the referee, he must always know who is on the pitch.”

REDUCING THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS ON THE PARK:

We should stay in professional football at 11 v 11 on a big field. But in the youth or with senior citizens over 45 years, 8 v 8 would be perfect in a small place. They would have the ball more often, would have more play in the game, have more fun, because they have to run less.”

2. Swervedancer Guest

Can't agree with having no Off Side Rule. I'm sure way back in the long ago there was no offside rule when teams played the 2 3 5 formation and there was an average of 4.6 goals per game.

I prefer off side because it prevents poaching and huge punts up the park. Imagine the state of the opposition box if there was no offside rule.

Don't agree with 4 quarters, breaks up the game too much and managers should be able to adjust the game whilst it's in play via instructions to his main men on the field i.e. captains/vice captains etc.

Don't know about a player being about commit 5 fouls, especially as these would become professional and tactical fouls. I think having 2 fouls and then a red is fair enough as long as the booking are warranted.

A sin bin is an interesting idea because I've seen players get sent off for a second yellow when it was very harsh. 10 minutes off the field is a long time and if take advantage of can give the other team a great chance. Although I imagine it might just lead to 10 minutes of parking the bus.

I'm not sure about limiting the number of games a player can play at the top level. If he's fit then let him play. Football is for the fans but we want to see our best players all the time as long as they are fit. If a player needs a rest then that's totally different and give them the rest.

Unlimited substitutions for youth teams makes sense, it gives them as much scope as possible to try them out and see how good they are. I would never advocate this at the senior level but at youth level I think we could experiment with many new and innovative rules to see what kind of effect they have and especially what kind of improvement they have.

Reducing the number of players on the park is an interesting idea for the youth system. Can imagine players getting to know the area of the pitch and the tactics involved when trying to win a game in such circumstances. It would be incredible for their health but then again if there are unlimited substitutions then it wouldn't matter.

I think 8 a side would resemble 5 a side so it could encourage skilful football with lots of space for passes to be made into and if you're going to dribble past a man then there won't be another one backing him up to take the ball off you. So it could be great for development.

So to sum up I think the only things I agree with are experiments at youth level.

I don't see anything wrong with senior football at the moment. I would like more clarification on what the guy behind the goal does and I would also like to see instant TV replays for a 4th official in the TV section of the ground so decisions can be made on diving/fouls/offside and cheating.

I think an offside should awarded a foul with only the players involved in the opposition in the original movement.

Cheating should be given cards.

TV goal line technology should be brought in to judge offsides too. I don't think we need linesmen when we have such unbiased decisive technology.

3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Agree with some, but no offside rule would make pacey players all the good while target players would be * unless its a set piece. Childs football.

Skickat från min SM-A300FU via Tapatalk

4. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Childrens football is a whole lot more entertaining than professionals.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The captains rule and the more subs idea is about all that I agree with from him. The worst idea is turning the game into 4 quarters.

6. Swervedancer Guest

Nah I doubt there's been a children's team as entertaining as the Celtic team than won the European Cup 50 years ago or the Barca team that won it with Pep.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I found peps barca boring and predictable. Let's do 4000 passes. I 100% preferred henks Bayern. That to me was the most devestating perfect team.

I wasn't alive for celtics cup win, and I could only imagine that feeling.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  8. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

You are referring to individual teams.

I'm talking in general.

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The Captains talking to the ref is a good one.

The rest are * up.

10. HailHoopy

No worries if the offside rule got scrapped, I'm sure the officials would find some other major decisions they could regularly get wrong :giggle1:

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    They would still find our players offside anyway. :87:

12. HailHoopy

I'll always say it, if we had a player with only one leg, he'd get sent off for a two footed challenge.

Swervedancer likes this.
  13. Swervedancer Guest

I do understand there is a polarisation of opinions but I did love tiki taka and I refuse to call it boring and predictable because if it were predictable it would have been easy to tactically outwit, it was just so beautiful to see a team so good the other team wouldn't even bother trying to get the ball off them because they knew that meant leaving a space and that was when Pep's team pounced, as soon as you gave them a space to pass through.
    It might have seemed hypnotic and boring but I think it was all about the highest level of craft and guile and trying to achieve the beautiful game, keeping the ball on the deck and passing it so swiftly the other team had no chance. It worked twice in 3 years, which is not bad going these days and I think Madrid only one La Liga once during those 8 years recently.

I do admit Bayern were a joy to watch, I just don't think they were on the same level. What I will never understand is why Pep took them on when they had just won the treble. There is no further you can take a team and so it showed. It was a crazy decision even though they played great football, they were already playing great football.

If he can achieve great football in the short few years he's at City I will say he's one of the best ever. I already reckon he is for inventing a whole new game of football that Fergie said is the best he's played against and quite a few other managers too.

Jock Stein's Celtic were probably one of the most devastating teams in European history as Inter were renowned as being a team you did not want to go a goal down against yet we bombarded relentlessly and without fear. This was totally new to them and it worked wonders and introduced a whole new style of play to Europe especially total football as perfected by Ajax who won the cup 3 years in a row.

But we showed the world catenccio could be beat if you were fearless and all your players were technically good and willing to move forward and cover for each other.

I know we can't see so much of the older games but I imagine Madrid's 1950s team must've been something to behold. 121 games they went undefeated at home. Astonishing.

HailHoopy likes this.
  14. Swervedancer Guest

Jeez oh 50 years ago we scored 196 goals that season :notworthy

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Pile of nonsense. Every single one of his stupid ideas.

16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Leave football the way it is. It should be the fan experience they're looking at making changes to not the fundamentals of the game.

These ex players in positions of power within Uefa and Fifa think they can do as they please sometimes, and most of the stuff they come away with is pure nonsense

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    He was a great player, but when it comes to thinking about the game, he's bat-* crazy.

The only idea which is worth considering would be a change (but not abolishing) offside. I think if you abolished it, you'd get some strikers goal hanging and it would spoil the game. Maybe introducing a line 25 yards out, beyond which you can be offside, to stop defences compressing the game into a narrow strip 10 yards either side of the halfway line, and give creative players more room to work in.

18. HailHoopy

I think a good start would be to have immediate video replays for goals that are scored but are called offside.

19. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

I prefer the idea of a multi ball system

Gyp Rosetti and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    * be living/working in the states to long, pretty much all designed to attract more Americans to watch 'soccer' and make it more popular for them, given their short attention span in general.