1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Manny Perez and Andrew Gutman join Celtic with eye to the future

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 31, 2019.

Discuss Manny Perez and Andrew Gutman join Celtic with eye to the future in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye :56:

JC Anton likes this.
  2. dmccourt95

The American really are retards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. clonbhoy

Even on football manager games it blows my mind. No logic at all!

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    It baffles me that we would loan Gutman to a level lower than the MLS.
    The more i see/hear about him, the more im certain that he will never be good enough to play for us.

freitassen likes this.
  5. The Celtbot

I watch a decent amount of MLS. They don't except loans like other leagues. I thought it was odd we couldn't loan him out to another club in Europe or Scotland, not necessarily a lower tier american club. Apparently Nashville is joining the MLS in 2020 and they didn't want to sanction this for whatever reason. I think he's probably decent, but I'm not sure what loaning him out to Nashville would prove any way.

Lilac Wine and G_portillo like this.
  6. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Maybe a blessing in disguise, again have no idea why we signed a 22 year old who's highest level is the 4th division in America? Sure if he was 4 years younger, but what's our plan here exactly? Loan him out for 3 years in America and hope he can get in the MLS at age of 25... then we end up with a 25 year old with 1 season of proper professional football, quicker he gets over here the better.

7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Give him a run out to *

8. The Celtbot

It appears Perez is on the bench for his first match, lol. So much for loaning a player to get some experience.

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Both players loaned for a year due to work permit issues could increase to summer 2020

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wel we no atleast the club are searching back o beyond in the american college leagues looking for gems:56:.Hopefully signs we are a moving away from congertons professional expertise.Along with the bayo,shved signings.Skeptical of the americans,although optimistic about the other 2.

12. The Celtbot

Watched Gutman play his first professional game on tv. Thought he was pretty good, he seemed a bit nervous early but really looked more organized in the 2nd half. He scored a header and certainly likes to get forward. He did more attacking than defending overall in the game, he definitely spent the majority of the time in the opposition's half. Overall, a solid start to his career, will be interesting to see how many goals he scores as a LB.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Manny Perez with 2 assist against Club Necaxa

Dembele likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A DERBY match taking place in North Carolina tonight looks set to feature a direct battle between two of Celtic’s young American full-backs who have been farmed out to lower league clubs back in their homeland.

While Andrew Gutman and Manny Perez dream one day soon of appearing in the Parkhead club's starting XI on opposite flanks of the same Celtic back four, this weekend they will likely battle it out on the same side of the field as Charlotte Independence play host to North Carolina FC in the Tar Heel state.

The pair were unveiled by Celtic on the same day earlier this year as they both signed three-and-a-half-year deals, part of a recent glut of young Americans joining Scottish sides. And both followed similar trails back across the Atlantic to play in the US second tier on loan.

Now, inevitably, their mutual allegiance gets parked for 90 minutes as they take the unusual step of doing battle as Celtic loan players on opposite sides of an American domestic league encounter. The match garners added spice since it doubles as a North Carolina inter-city affair, known as the Southern Derby.

Perez, 20, and Gutman, 22, have already engaged in a little light-hearted banter at the prospect of being at crossed purposes. They might even go into more direct combat since Perez, ordinarily a right-back, has lately been deployed on the right wing for North Carolina FC, with Gutman firmly fixed at left-back for Charlotte. And the match will represent the first time they have shared a field in competitive action.

“I’ve talked to Andrew about it already because we stay in contact,” said Perez, laughing. “We’ve both been talking behind each other’s backs about it, trying to get at each other. It’s going to be exciting. It doesn’t get any better than that.

“Best of luck to him, I know he’s a very good player, I’ve been watching some video on him to see what his techniques are and what not. It’s going to be a fun thing for me and I’m sure for him, and for Celtic supporters to watch.”

Gutman had his own pre-game repartee lined up before they both get down to the serious business of the contest. “I’ll be getting in touch to see how things are going and then obviously talking a little bit of smack to him,” he said.

It’s a unique situation just in terms of two young Americans getting signed by such a massive club. Me and Manny’s main focus is to get back to Celtic and prove the signing of us was a good move for the club and for us.

“My main goal is just to develop as much as I can and progress my development, hopefully getting back to Celtic sooner rather than later. Manny’s the same way.

“It’s a dream come true. When Celtic first reached out to me, that was something that I never imagined. The way Manny and I play fits into the Celtic style, and even the Scottish style of football.”

Gutman has been an impressive ever-present for Charlotte since the USL Championship season commenced a little over a month ago, starting all six matches for the Jacks and chipping in with two goals.

Gutman got his name on the scoresheet during Charlotte’s first win of the season on Tuesday night. It came when Mark Hill, a 20-year-old Scotland youth international midfielder reared in the Celtic youth system who is also on loan at Charlotte, struck a teasing free-kick from a tight angle on the left flank off the near post. As the ball came back off the upright, Gutman was on hand to bundle home at the back post, no doubt pleasing Charlotte head coach Jim McGuinness, a former Celtic coach

Mark has a lot of quality on the ball, he distributes well, he creates a lot of chances for us and hopefully in the next few weeks he and I can link up on a couple of more goals,” said Gutman.

“Mark and Jim spent a few years at Celtic. I’m away from the club but at the same I’m not too far from it because every day I have two guys that know the club so well and love to talk about it so much so it’s a good situation, especially being American and not from Scotland, I get to learn even more about how big and historical of a club it is.”

Perez has had to make do with one start and three appearances from the bench for North Carolina so far. But he thinks playing under head coach Dave Sarachan, until recently in charge of the US national team, has already sped up his development as a player.

“He keeps pushing me forward every day at training,” he said, “putting me in the best position possible for going back to Celtic.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Manny setting up the first and second goals

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Perez looks like the one to watch

20. Keano88

Should have Perez over just now and playing with the reserves.

McChiellini.. likes this.