1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luca Connell

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by thailandceltic, Jun 13, 2019.

Discuss Luca Connell in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Just heard it on the radio here in Ireland

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/4210589/celtic-approach-bolton-ireland-luca-connell/

BOLT FROM THE BLUE

Celtic ‘make approach’ for Bolton Wanderers and Republic of Ireland 18-year-old starlet Luca Connell

CELTIC have reportedly made an official approach for Ireland youngster Luca Connell.

The 18-year-old midfielder is currently on the books at ailing Bolton Wanderers but has attracted attention from numerous British clubs and is expected to leave the League One side this summer.

Connell, originally from Liverpool, was also called into the Ireland squad for last month's warm weather training camp in Portugal with Mick McCarthy impressed with what he saw.

And now, reports are emerging that the Scottish champions have made contact for the midfielder.

Sky Sports reporter Lyall Thomas tweeted this morning that the Hoops have contacted Wanderers with a view to signing Connell.

He tweeted: "Celtic have approached #Bolton about signing 18-year-old Luca Connell."

ATTRACTING INTEREST

SunSport exclusively revealed this month that Connell had attracted interest from the Glasgow giants as they try to duck a number of Premier League clubs in pursuit of his signature.

Wolves, Norwich and Sheffield United have also shown a clear interest in taking him as well as Glasgow Hun *.

But the Hoops could sign the 18-year-old for a much lower cross-border tribunal fee as he would move away from England.

Neil Lennon wants to add Connell to his squad for next season after his stunning start to senior football.

The central midfielder is still a third-year scholar at Bolton and impressed despite relegation to League One amid a financial crisis at the club.

The starlet has also attracted attention from England following their snatching of Declan Rice.

FULL COMMITMENT

Connell can still play for England having not lined out in a competitive international for the Boys in Green.

But the Bolton man, who qualifies through his Irish grandmother, insisted last month that he was committed to Mick McCarthy's side.

Speaking about whether his Dubliner granny would forgive him ducking an Ireland call-up, he said: “She wouldn’t be speaking to me neither. No, I wouldn’t hold back. I have to take any opportunity that I can.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime. If you turn that down, not just the gaffer but the team wouldn’t be happy with you. I’d take the chance, yeah.”

And Connell also insists he would snub a meeting with England boss Gareth Southgate if he called him.

He said: “I’m not thinking about that, I’m happy where I am right now.

“I did see a few of the reports and got told about them but it could mean anything, couldn’t it? There was no direct contact.

“I’m happy where I am, playing. If the gaffer wants to give me a chance, I’m more than willing to take that.”

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Look down a few posts, there's a 3 page thread about him already.

3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Oooops hahaha