1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Livingston v Celtic, Scottish Premiership, Sun 6th Oct, KO 12:00. Sky Sports Football.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Oct 1, 2019.

Discuss Livingston v Celtic, Scottish Premiership, Sun 6th Oct, KO 12:00. Sky Sports Football. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    One of those days. Same as Bayern and Man City. They deserved the victory.

This time last season we had lost two games to Kilmarock and Hearts and drew with St Mirren. Then we went on to skelp teams again.

* mon!!! :ynwacelti

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    F8FC9979-126A-4AAC-A4B0-432F46901EDE.jpeg
    Not the clearest photo but even there you can see the state of the pitch.

paulie67 and Seán Mac D like this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not saying this to be hyperbolic but I play 5s on Clyde's pitch at Broadwood Stadium and it's a better surface than Livi's. It is an abomination.

You could see the ball sticking under players feet and mental bounces of the ball all the time.

I don't blame Livingston for having it, it's far cheaper to have it than pay for the upkeep of a grass park and they can rent it out at nights. That's before you even factor in the clear advantage it gives them to train on it 5 days a week.

It's down to Scottish Football as a collective to drive through long-term change and convince these clubs that while it's not in their short-term interests to have grass, it will undoubtedly improve things in the long run. I can't recall any decent games I've watched at Hamilton, Kilmarnock or Livingston in recent years. That's not coincidental.

If we're trying to improve the standard of our game in a sporting and financial sense then we need to get a point where it is attractive to the neutral and therefore marketable. Can you imagine someone from Australia, USA or Asia flicking through the channels to watch that yesterday? It would go immediately off.

On BBC Radio Scotland they were gushing over Livingston's performance. Loads of effort, pressing, effective, "did what they had to do" etc.

No wonder the national game is in such a state when top flight teams are encouraged to blooter the ball into the air at every opportunity and teams are incentivized to have the poorest specification of surface if it helps them.

kramer1, paulie67, Rydo1888* and 4 others like this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thing is with these pitches, they do still need an upkeep.

One of the 4g's in Dundee is really good, but it gets used a * load and the quality diminishes over time as they never give it time to settle to brush/roll etc. Also, the variance in amount of black rubber * I have seen between pitches is enormous. Some have very few, but some, Livingston's by the looks, are totally riddled with the stuff.

Think I've only played on a couple over the years that are actually flat too. Too many of them are bumpy and the turf "rolls" up in places like it hasn't been laid correctly.

Seán Mac D and Callum McGregor like this.
  5. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Let's just say that's the learning curve over for the new boys. They can expect plenty more cloggers like that especially away from home although admittedly not on such a * surface other than Killie and Hamilton. No more excuses Celtic. I think we'll be fine but need a good wee run now and we have the fixtures to do it!!

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

To reiterate @Seán Mac D 's point - * plastic pitches.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The league might be a bit closer than what it was last season. Our rivals are stronger than what they were.

Again, the “these games happen” approach doesnt really address any of the issues which have arisen. The mentality of a championship winning side has to be better than that.

Irrespective of speculating at where we will finish, we have to be better than the last game and we have to be more ruthless infront of goal than what we were at Hibs.

8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yes I think we all agree on that.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Quite evidently, from the post i replied to and from other previous posts, “we” dont.

This has to serve as a wake up call. Some think the league this year is a given.

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * lighten up. Evidently. Aye nae bother. Its possible to agree with different things to a certain degree.

I'm not suggesting we treat every lost point as a "these things happen".

In case you didn't notice by me signing my post off with "* Mon!!", I wasn't really aiming for a serious debate or to be taken too literally. Of course there is work to be done, I'm just being positive.

Mr Shelby and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I was making the point that you are not the first to hold that opinion.

I respect peoples points of view and yeah its important not to overreact, but i think there has to be a sense of realisation and appreciation of the difference in situation this season, and, for me the approach of a dominant force has to be better than just writing off sub standard performances as almost excusable/expected.

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No sweat big G

Getting beat by Livingston is not almost excusable, I agree. I'm willing to move on from this one though. We have had worse results in our time and we will again.

And yes, the scum have improved. We know.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  13. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    These had really minimal impacts on the game though.

Not buying that the pitch was a big factor in the result. Perhaps their home record is so much better because they're at home? Most teams have a better success rate at home. These guys have been playing football all their lives on all sorts of surfaces and get paid thousands, they can adapt to a synthetic pitch that meets the standards for the league. What you talking about they didn't try to play football? They were passing it about for large periods of the game, it's how they scored their first goal.

To me it's like if we won the game and Livingston said it's because we had 3/4 of the stadium. Yeah - that is an advantage, but it's negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The ref had no choice in the red card, it was blatant. Other than that, it was all handbags mostly with Jullien getting frustrated. But overall Livingston gave away 19 fouls and us 11. I don't remember thinking there was much missed, it was scrappy at times, but not dirty. Honestly blaming the ref sounds totally like deflection to me, he didn't have his worst game (which might not be saying much).

I said European hangovers are a * excuse when you've played at home - fair point I think. Sleep Thursday, rest Friday, train Saturday, play Sunday. Rotate tired players. No flights or travel involved.

What cost us was fatigue, * formation, playing too deep, getting riled up and being utterly wasteful with set-pieces.

Thanks for addressing my post though without retorting to it with dismissive arrogance.

kramer1 likes this.
  14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

does the spfl/sfa or both assess these plastic putches that are becoming all too common in scotland ?

dont get me wrong we should still have beat them quite easily given our quality and im sure all the players have played on these pitches and know what type of football is required to get chances and win on them

it wouldnt be suprised if for example our football authorities never actually assessed the pitch out but got paper work stating what type of pitch it was livingston were getting installed

most of the clubs are skint, could they afford to get one of these installed then for the sfa to tell them thats not good enough you'll need to get rid of it

any way onwards and upwards weve no right to win all games and it wont be the last time we get beat by a wee club

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

@cfc_kenny I genuinely don't know what game you watched but it shows it's a game of opinions.

They were spanking it long at every opportunity certainly not "passing it about for large periods of the game".

I suggest you watch some of the game back if you don't think Collum missed anything. He let them away with plenty, including 2 penalties on Julien.

Mentioning factors in a result isn't blaming them. The team selection, tactics and performances on the day were poor.

16. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I just watched the highlights (check them out on Youtube) and the only time they spanked it long was then their keeper assisted Dykes with the goal. The other 4/5 attempts it shows that Livingston created were built up with a few decent passes.

Aye they're physical, but they didn't beat us relying on direct hoofs up the park, it just didn't happen.

Collum actually gave a lot of soft fouls in our favour first-half, livi players were getting irate. Could of been a penalty on Julien once I remember, but it wasn't a stonewaller, he got a shove in the back n we were 2-0 down at that point anyway.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'll agree to disagree with you. We're going round in circles.

18. joemc

Will only become a problem if its neck and neck all the way in the title race. And they get beaten by livi to give the title to us ,only then will the media highlight the issues it brings surrounding Scottish football going forward .

paulie67 likes this.
  19. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Just home from this.

Nice day out.

20. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Only highlight looking back at the game was the wee ball boy in front of the GB singing along to all the songs..kid was buzzing of it. Like others have said just a blip and players will learn from that type of game and by Christmas we'll be clear and ready for the 9iar party. * weather * pitch and * beer where the lowlights.