1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Liverpool defeat an eye-opener

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mark, Jul 27, 2004.

Discuss Liverpool defeat an eye-opener in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mark

Well another mauling by an English Premiership side - this time Liverpool and the scoreline reading 5-1.

Embarassed? Naturally. Deserved? Totally. Reality check? Too right!

Our defence is totally embarassing. Valgaeren, Laursen, Varga can all be punted they are rotten. Really poor.

Balde and McNamara are our only two good defenders. And this season, if we don't bring in fresh defenders of good quality, we are going to get hammered like this every time we play a decent side.

Why can't Martin O'Neill open his eyes to this and get looking. If he can't do that job 120% then he must go too. This is a huge job which deserves and requires all the attention in the world.

I know this was a friendly and yes, our starting 11 wasn't our natural 11, but it goes to show our depth - or lack of it. Why aren't we bringing anyone in?? :icon_evil

2. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Like I said on another thread, abysmal is the only word for our defence. There is NO way we will win anything next season if nobody new comes in.. Why didnt we bring in Jiranek when we had teh chance? A quality defender for a very small amount of money, I dont know whats happening at the club all I know is that I dont like it very much.

Our defence has conceded 9 goals in the last 2 matches, its just a disgrace.. Yes, yes its only a friendly but it goes to show that everyone is strengthening their squads and we're just being left behind. I can see us losing a lot of games next season in SPL and Europe if we keep this current squad.

I'm just amazed by the lack of quality we saw last night. Shocking.

3. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Our passing was dreadful, our defence was dreadful, our attacking was dreadful! A dreadful performance!! We need a new defender as well as a playmaker and a new striker who all have experience playing at the top level!

4. Mark

Great point Bobo about 9 goals in 2 matches, never though of that.

I posted something similar as 'News' about an hour ago (slating the team, of course heh) and I'm getting LOADS of emails and comments!! Lol. Post some emails later!

P.S. CM - got the pass! ta.

5. OurselvesAlone

What the f**k is going on? That was a complete embarassment. Maybe if MON was there it might have been different idk. Something needs to be done, if that result is the reality check we need then its good it has came now than later on.

6. Mark

Peter Lawell said today that we were not to panic and that there was a lot of work behind the scenes to bring in a number of new faces. But he wasn't revealing who. Typical. When??

7. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Aye, read that on the official site. How many times have we heard this sort of thing?

8. hooperman

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stilian Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover
    I'm a wee bit concerned about the blind faith in Balde Ok he can play but he makes some horrendous errors aswell......Did he not bowl over Sutton last year and against some European teams last year I dread a repeat of those performances this year
    Off course we will beat all round us in the SPL but * we have a long way to go to be one of the great teams in Europe_ We certainley wont get anywhere in the Champs league without some new faces
    I dont blame O Neill tho hes a shred operator and must have expanded the coffers of The Fat Cats at Celtic Park
    So TIME TO RELEASE SOME MONEY FOR A DECENT SQUAD TO PLAY IN EUROPE

9. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    last nights display was so embrassing, everyone in england will be wondering why we wanna play down there and we can't keep the goals out against a team we should be able to compete with it just shows we ain't got enough quality to compete, i'm dreading our next games against man u and roma

10. Mark

I fear the worst vs Man Utd and also against Roma. Wonder what the players thought on the match.

11. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I would be VERY disappointed if we lost to Man United by more than 2 goals, they've brought a very poor squad out to the states which doesnt bolster the likes of Van Nistelrooy or Saha

Goalkeepers: Howard, Carroll, Ricardo
    Defenders: Bardsley, Brown, McShane, O'Shea, Spector
    Midfielders: *, Chadwick, Djemba-Djemba, Djordic, Eagles, Keane, Richardson
    Forwards: Giggs, Smith, Bellion
    Joining Later: Forlan, Heinze, Kleberson, G Neville, P Neville

If we lose by more than 2 to that, there really is something wrong.