1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Liam Kelly.

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by mickcfc91, Dec 24, 2012.

Discuss Liam Kelly. in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesLaverty25

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Moravcik, Samaras, Petrov, Sutton, Lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Would be fifth choice at best, thanks but no thanks

2. Seán_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Mid-table SPL level player. Wouldn't even consider it and he'd be doing well to even make our bench tbh.

3. Larsson93

Id rather we play Zaluska midfield than buy this guy.

4. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    not a hope !!

5. BelfastCelt88

No chance.

6. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    If we were gonna go for any SPL midfielder then McGinn would be top of the list at the minute and look how he done here last time ffs.

7. Adam426

Firstly, Kelly is a central midfielder and McGinn's a winger/forward. Secondly, McGinn was in no way bad when he was here, whenever he got the opportunity he did well and for a spell under Lennon won us several matches in a row. Thirdly, McGinn is neither the best winger nor forward in the SPL and Kelly is not the best central midfielder.

8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    He's by far and away the best creative central midfield playmaker in the SPL (excluding Celtic), imo. Can't just lump all the different types of central midfielders together. He's nowhere near the best ball-winner, but he's certainly the best playmaking central midfield player in the SPL, with Hibs' Paul Cairney being the only one I can think of who comes close to him (again, excluding Celtic).

9. Larsson93

Paul McGowan is far better than him.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

I don't think there's any truth in it to be honest, but if there is then I shall fully trust the backroom team at Celtic.

I'd love to * a player off that big-eared fucknugget as well :bbpd:

11. Adam426

Neither are really playmakers. Kelly's a dependable passer but only cos Killie are a passing team. He's really just a central midfielder. Definitely not a playmaker and if he was he would be nowhere near the best in the SPL. Cairney's not really a playmaker either. For Hibs he plays as a winger and it's his dribbling and hard-work which have made him so impressive.

12. Cheese - Burger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrssonnnnnn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
  13. Heisenberg

english but represents scotland

14. donnegal celt

Why can't we pick up best spl players and improve them and make them better players. Like we done with Mulgrew. Nobody wanted him back at Celtic and look how he turned out

15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I watched Cairney for years when he was at Partick (my second team). From what I could see, he was v much a playmaker for them. I could count the number of times I've seen him for Hibs on a four-fingered glove though, so maybe he's different now; but certainly, whenever I've seen him for them, he's always been winning the ball and starting something with a clever pass.

Your point in bold surely disproves itself: were Kelly not a good passer, he'd stand out like a sore thumb in a team built around passing. He's v definitely a playmaker, literally: he creates most of their chances for them (most of the ones from open play anyway). Ok, he tends to play in a deep position, but so do the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, and hundreds of other deep-lying playmakers the world over. He maybe doesn't always make the final pass (though he often does), but he starts moves for the likes of Perez and Sheridan every single game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Great point. Scott McDonald's another good example of a player who a lot of people reckoned couldn't cut it here simply because he came from the SPL.

17. Adam426

Passing the ball to a creative player who then goes and creates a chance isn't really playmaking. Perez and Harkins are Killie's playmakers. I don't think Kelly's style is much like Pirlo or Xavi at all to be honest. Cairney probably could be a playmaker but he isn't really at Hibs. Wotherspoon and Griffiths are their playmakers.

I don't really think he's the type of player we should be signing though. I think we should look to make sure we sign Calum Paterson and Ryan Fraser in January and then have them come in at the end of the season.

18. Doire_Bhoy

Ha ha, DM link, internet AIDS.

19. Keano88

hes pish tbh

20. Adam426

When he plays up front he's not great. That's mainly because he's not a striker. He's an excellent midfielder though.