1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Discuss Censorship and Policing of Words

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by MacEwan, Jan 14, 2020.

Discuss Let's Discuss Censorship and Policing of Words in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leeso-ardoyne

I've never heard that word to be honest with you so that's me ok Haha. I was thinking it was going to be words like *, slapper, * etc.. and was thinking bollox, that's me * and I'll be getting a ban too because I can hardly put a sentence together without using one of them. Safe for now

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

@M.E.T.H.O.D MAN has posted it.

I said a very similar word. Equally as wrong and offensive. But they do all need to be listed as I assume there are more, less obvious.

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  3. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Just substitute the prohibited word for 'bongo'.You'll hurt someone's feelings,avoid a ban and at the same time get to give a middle finger to the system.

4. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    "Harvey Price" should be added to that list, * embarrassing imo using that young mans name like that.

AnnoniOnAnawNoo and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  5. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    As has been mentioned by several people in this thread before I close it - the staff are all volunteers and have been chosen because we have been on this site for several years.

During that time they have all shown sensible attitudes in allowing a reasonable amount of leeway when it comes to most things. I don't think anyone on the staff is not trusted to run the site for the benefit of all members.

If this site isn't to degenerate into a shitshow like some of the sites on the other side of the divide, general rules of decency have to prevail. The rules are fluid because society changes.

Whether people want to accept it racist or discriminatory terms are no longer acceptable in modern society. Calling someone a name that refers to them being akin to someone with physical or mental disabilities is quite frankly disgusting.

Just because it was a term used 20 years ago doesn't mean it is acceptable in this day and age.

There is very little we want to "censor" as some are putting it, but the post alluded to by the OP was clearly offensive to someone as a report of it came in for staff to discuss. The ban was put in place because of his inability to drop the subject after an in thread warning as much as the word itself.

That is that.

I abhor threads like this because it calls into question the good intent of the great staff members we have on this forum. The site runs very well because the staff do a great job in keeping it that way.

The rule of not questioning staff decisions on the open forum remains. The OP will be discussed by staff as will some of the content. If anyone has an issue with the staffing of this site it MUST be done as a PM to a member of staff.

Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.