1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lennon's backroom team and player recruitment...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Hoopy, May 27, 2019.

Discuss Lennon's backroom team and player recruitment... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I just think it was stupid and panicky mate. He was searching for an escape from the pressure he was under and he naturally tried to deflect. Whether that was on Kennedy or Neil Lennon I don’t think he really thought it through.

Random Review likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He has said it himself since: he never came close to imagining the pressure and the scrutiny he would face before he took the job. Sometimes he must have felt like a rabbit in the headlights. In that respect Lawwell really should have shielded him a bit more when it comes to the media.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    After that little exchange with Devlin, I was just thinking that I missed Ronny and I realised that I had missed Lenny even more. Feels like we lost something important for a while there that he represents.

I haven't changed my mind about the timing of the announcement and what it implies about their intentions; but doesn't it just feel good to have Neil Lennon back? In an odd kind of way, it makes me feel happy.

Trying very hard not to worry about the window for now. They better back him, that is all.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I * love him mate. Just imagine him lifting the 10.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not imagining anyone lifting the 10 until it's over the line regardless of the manager, I'm not doing that to myself; but if it happens, there's not a person on this forum that will think or feel differently.

Well, apart from lurkers, obviously.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. joemc

wot i would say to that is fitness means f@ck all if you shipping goals like we did against psg ,players were not fit enough to get back into formations or went into hiding ,we have a manager now who if backed properly wont have his team caught out as badly or allow them to give up .

7. rickyroma25

Fitness had nothing to do with the PSG results. We were battered by vastly superior players. The only thing Lennon could have done to change that is sit our entire team in our own box and hope for the best.

He's not some master of the European stage. He had one good campaign and was humbled in the rest.

8. joemc

yeh exactly , fitness means nothing ,you could have the fittest daftest team in the world who are so niave as to get sucked into forward areas only to be countered with virtually no cover making decent defenders look gash and players giving up chasing back , save going at superior teams for home games and master counter attacking .

rkid likes this.
  9. dmac

I think part of the problem in Europe was that when the opposition got the ball there was a poor defensive shape to the team even sometimes domestically you see it in the Cup Final with the goal we lost Hayes ca!e across to cover and the midfielder who should have been covering was nowhere to be seen as they all run towards the ball leaving space

10. rickyroma25

Aye, you're taking it to extremes there. We should be as fit as possible as a team. I don't think that's debatable.

You can be both fit and defensively savvy. We don't have to substitute one for the other.

Keano88 and Peej like this.
  11. joemc

under fraud we had improved our fitness vastly and was shown in the first season ,but wot i mean is it dont mean jack if you cant chase back or cover positions ,if just 1 player gives up then the deck collapses ,we were extremely niave to try to outplay teams with better players ,this is when you need a clever manager to out fox those teams and why fraud was always a manager who needed a good epl budget to implement his style.

12. joemc

yes ,fitness + smartness =much better.

13. clonbhoy

It is very silly to think that our players are going to be unfit because Lennon is back in charge. Whatever he did the last time he was here is a world away. We may as well discuss the drinking culture of his playing days.
    I don't think Lennon should have got the job either, but it feels like people are trying to find reasons to knock him.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  15. Mr Hoopy

No one has actually answered the initial question about whether we should keep the existing backroom team or get a new number 2 in as awell as new coaches etc

16. ladbroke8

Ronnie banned the salt mate

17. clonbhoy

I always think that should be up to the manager. I hate an assistant being forced on a manager, if you are going to appoint him you have to back him. With the greatest of respect to John Collins, I always felt his appointment didn't help Ronnie and I think Ronnie himself was part of why Lenny had enough of the board the last time.
    The board takes a risk on the manager, the manager takes a risk on his support staff. In saying that, I think it would be sensible of Lenny to keep a few of the key players around, but I would be surprised if he didn't.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Regards diet I read somewhere a while back that Guardiola uses a quarters system.
    Light training days it’s 2 quarters veg, 1 carb and 1 protein.
    On heavy or double session days it’s 2 quarters carbs, 1 veg and 1 protein.
    These are lunch and dinner. Don’t remember about breakfast but I’m sure I saw on that Man City documentary that they ate muesli with almond and coconut milk with fruit and yoghurt.
    Also if they have an early kick off certain players will be told to have a late evening meal stacked with carbs - think it was those who for whatever reason can’t eat before matches (nerves I presume).
    A meal is also to be eaten 3-4hrs before a match and again is the carb heavy meal.

Not saying Pep feeds his teams chips or anything but maybe Deila was getting it wrong.

19. Mr Hoopy

Excellent news if we manage to get Parker in. Lennon needs his own men and i hope this is just the start of his recruitment as we go into what is a very important season :celt_2:

20. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Would be nice to have Park back over Congerton. These last few years have made me realize I really took Park for granted, we found some absolute gems during his time. He also knows the type of player Lennon likes. Would be open to other chief scouts as well though