1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cosgrove would do well in SPL for us. How much would we be expected to pay for him?

Cerand Bhoy likes this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A jelly bean, although that wouldn't be any use to Aberdeen...

3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye probably played the game of his life because his da and brother were in attendance.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not to be dramatic, but I’d go as far as saying that if Leigh doesn’t start tomorrow night then his career here is as good as over (unless Lennon makes the bizarre choice of risking Eddy).

5. CountyDownFaithful

It's never nice to write anyone off... more so when they've clearly went through a difficult time... But I cannot see Leigh getting back into the team or sustaining a level of fitness required to be an effective back up ST.

He's part of the 100 goals club and has proved himself at Celtic. It's just maybe getting to that stage where it's best for both parties to move on. A new club/challenge could be the very thing he needs but I'm also conscious it could the worst thing for his health too.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can everyone settle a little bit, please? He is not finished here. He has been introduced slowly on his way back to fitness (below) . The cup final wasn't for him, let's move on. Maybe he didn't fancy running about the pitch after, like Shved. He will feature tomorrow and get more minutes, which can only be a good thing. Folk acting like being out of the squad on Sunday means he's up to all sorts and what not. He was pictured training in good spirits, he was at the hospital with the squad doing his bit as per. Let's see where we are end of January at least

Screenshot_20191211_144919.jpg

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    They will hold out for as much as they can get, id imagine something close to £2m-£2.5m.
    Im not sure how long he has left on his deal which could obviously affect any potential fee

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think theres a reluctant inevitability about this situation. Having watched us struggle with one recognised striker in the squad, its been a bit of a perspective on the situation.
    Celtic as a club have stuck by Griffiths and supported him and he needs to start making real inroads towards fitness. if i was the manager though i would be looking to add a quality striker in January because we have to start taking matters into our own hands instead of waiting to see what might be.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. kevskiuk1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    anything by the wolftones
    Wee KT there nd aw gr8 viewing

11. Seosamh Máirtín

He's definitely finished. Be surprised if he even starts tomorrow...

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's weird that he hasn't started a game yet.

We all get he had his issues last winter, he gets as much time and help as he needs in my eyes, but it does seem that he is "back" and on the whole he has been in the match day squad for a few weeks now.

We are persisting with Lewis Morgan up top though.
    The first two games back, I can understand, by surely by the 3rd and 4th game back, Leigh should have been starting? Fitness wise, he should be ready for that.

Leaving him out of Sunday, seemed weird as well, although if he wasn't able to cope, then I do understand. Although if that's the reason, then I dare say he shouldn't be in match day squads yet either.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON will hand Leigh Griffiths a golden chance to revive his Celtic career.

And the Hoops manager has completely played down talk of the forgotten frontman fighting to save his Parkhead future.

Griffiths will start in Cluj for the Europa League Group E winners in the final match.

And having won in Italy for the first time last month, Celtic now want to achieve the same feat in Romania.

Lennon said: “In the context of the season, it’s a big night for Leigh because he hasn’t played much football and there’s a good chance he will start.

“There’s no pressure on him. We know what a player he is. It’s just a question of getting as much game time into his legs as possible and then him going out and enjoying himself and working hard to get something out of the game.

There’s a hunger about him to impress. He’s going to get that opportunity tomorrow night.”

Celts striker Odsonne Edouard has been left behind in Glasgow while Vakoun Bayo has travelled and is among the fringe men itching for action

Griffiths’ last start was August 17 with a number of substitute appearances up to December 4.

He’s scored three goals this season, but hasn’t found the net for four months.

But on the suggestion of Griff saving his Celts career, Lennon said: “That’s way too dramatic.

“We are certainly not writing him off. None of those sound-bites are coming from anyone inside the club.

Leigh’s got an opportunity to get match fitness allied to topping up his fitness work behind the scenes.

“He knows what he has to do, so he’ll be really looking forward to going out there and playing, I have no doubt about that. Of course he can get back to where he was. It’s down to him in terms of his day-to-day work and then what he brings to the team when he does play.

Not just a goal would be big for him, his all-round performance too.

“He’s a smart, smart player and you never lose that knack of getting into the right places.

“His movement is very good and hopefully his touch will be good tomorrow night.

“It’s a great opportunity for him against really good opposition in a high-intensity game. He can forge a place for himself going forward.

“He was out for a considerable time with a thigh injury and that set him back as well.

“Leigh had a decent pre-season, but with the way the team was playing it was difficult for him to get in the side and then he had the setback with the injury.

“It’s taken him time to get back to full fitness. He was unlucky not to make the squad at the weekend.

“But he will start tomorrow night and I’m sure he is really looking forward to it.

His attitude has been very good, excellent. He is training away and he has been begging for the opportunity, so he’s got one now.

“It’s not like this is a trial game for him or anything like that. We know what he can do. He just has to go out there and be free in what he does.”

Griffiths, under contract until May 2022, fought his way back into Lennon’s plans in the summer after missing the second half of last season with mental health issues.

The 29-year-old didn’t even feature on the bench for Sunday’s Betfred Cup final and that had pundits speculating he could be finished at the club after 107 goals in 214 games over a near six-year period. Lennon claimed there was nothing strange about it and insisted it was purely about the numbers because Edouard was on the bench.

Lennon still has high hopes for Griffiths, who he signed from Hibs in 2014, though he will also consider buying a new frontman when the transfer window opens next month.

Rydo1888*, tarboltontim and Dan Breen like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good to see him back again.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  15. LloydsGamble

Even not fully fit and not at his best, he's clearly a better option than Morgan there. Made some decent runs, had some good touches and harasses defenders. All things Morgan seems incapable of

16. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just needs games. He's a natural finisher, and that will never leave him. Match fitness is what he needs, and he will be like a new signing.

17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would have scored the free kick we should have got when Bayo was fouled

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. GreenLeanMean

Much better option than
    Morgan up front. Even when he's rusty. Capable of smart movement

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think he'll start against Hibs at the weekend, with Eddie perhaps coming back for the diets

20. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He did well tonight with the pish service. Held the ball up well at times.

bkk bhoy likes this.