1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. z1c0

Dundee was 2-1 and Hamilton was basically Dembleles doing. He played one very good game at thistle but his performances have been vastly overstated. A perfect example of how this can be done is by stating now moussa is the inform man as he got a goal and assist today.

In my opinion people don't judge Griffiths general play only his goals - he may score and that's great. However we look a lot more dangerous as a team when Dembele is playing - another interesting point is this full 'slump' has only occurred when Griffiths has recently been starting.

I know that last point was quite harsh but I do feel we play so much better as a team when Dembele plays, there is a lot more intricate link up between the attacking players - Forrest, Sinclair and Rogic link up reallly well with Dembele.

2. Swervedancer Guest

I think that's the first goal Demeble has scored since the 27 November against Aberdeen in the Cup.

Out of the 5 games Griffiths has played since he returned on the 9th he's scored in 4 games. Sinclair scored in the other 1 0 game.

That's excluding today's game, where both players scored which is what we want to see and hopefully it's form that's happening at the right time. I still think Griffiths records proves he's far more important to us than Dembele.

3. z1c0

Dembele is possibly our most important player giving his potential and what he can do in Europe - Griffiths isn't even in my top 5.

4. Swervedancer Guest

Now you're at the wind up :40: Top 40 goal scorer and POTY last season who basically secured the league for us and he's not in our top 5?

Who is in your top 5?

I'll name mine.

Broony.
    Rogic.
    Griffiths.
    Tierney
    Sinclair.

I know the is only one defender considering how good Erik and Jozo are but I think those 5 are our most important when it comes to winning games. But it also shows how good a sqaud we have that I couldn't pick Jozo and Eric plus Armstrong which I'll probably get pulled up for.

Captain Brown likes this.
  5. z1c0

1. Rogic
    2. Brown
    3. Dembele
    4. Tierney
    5. Sinclair

I agree with everypoint you make in that post but not on Griffiths. Dembele is simply a much better striker - their worlds apart and that will show in 2-3 years when he's off playing for some giant club.

6. Swervedancer Guest

Hmmmmmm I'm not sure that's quite fair. You can't use the future when we're talking about the best top 5 just now. I could easily posit that Jozo willl be one of the best CBs in the world in 5 years time. I mean apparently Torino are mad for him but hopefully Brendan sticks to his guns and doesn't sell him.

But if you were going to say your current top 5 that must mean you would have the same as mine because Demebele has to wait 2/3 years. I do agree with you btw, Moussa could be something special but he's not yet so that's why I can't include him. Anyway by the time he's one of the best in the world he won't be in our top 5 :mad:

7. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Sinclair
    Brown
    Dembele
    Rogic
    Forrest
    Armstrong
    Tierney
    Thumb

8. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Tierney is not in the top 5 most important players.

Brown
    Rogic
    Sinclair
    Erik
    The strikers

9. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Any word on him? Precautionary measure taking him off?

10. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    In the Rogers thread, there's a quote from him saying that his calf was just a bit tight but should be fine for Wednesday.

Jax Teller likes this.
  11. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Good stuff. Wonder who will start though.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

see my post on the last page.

13. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I dont understand that at all. Dembele is just a big pound sign. If he is as good as we think, he wont be here long....Griffiths could be and hopefully will be here for years to come.

Dembele is doing what all young impressionable players do.....what he and his agent think is best for his career. He was going nowhere fast and seen an opportunity to get guaranteed games, Champions League exposure and experience, a relatively easy opportunity to get his shooting boots firing and a chance to play for a world famous club.....and pick up a few trinkets along the way. He will offski as soon as the first good offer comes in.
    Griffiths may well stay here for the rest of his career and will go to his grave a diehard fan thereafter.

14. z1c0

That really doesn't matter. Van Dijk was our most important player in that team of Ronny's even though everyone knew he was off in the summer.

15. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Aye, but you said you seen him as our most important player due to his potential and what he can do in Europe...we may never see any of that potential, and he may never play another game for us in Europe.
    Also, Griffiths scoring ratio is still better than his for this season, never mind his contribution in the past.

Not every young apparently gifted player goes on to fulfill his potential. It takes dedication, willpower and a good bit of luck(avoiding injuries etc).....which is why we will sell asap, and why he will demand to go asap. His whole entourage will be behind him if gets offered a 4 year contract on £100k a week by some club down south. I dont know what he is on here...£20-30?, but he owes it to his family and his future family to get financial security asap, and we as a club have to take the money also, in case he loses form or picks up an injury. Regardless of what Brendan is saying in the press, (he has to say that) if we get £20m plus for him....he will be gone.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  16. Swervedancer Guest

this thread is mental. At least you've picked both strikers but I'm not against Moussa, I see his potential like everyone else and he can score against the big teams at a young age which is great but he hasn't been on form latley so I don't understand how folk are saying he's 'currently' in our top 5.

Tierney is in our top 4. I might have an argument about Moussa but no way is anyone saying Tierney isn't there unless they are really ripping the pish.

Ok ok I might be contradicting myself because he's not been playing but he's been injured. Big difference. If Moussa was injured instead of off form I would include him in top 5 maybe.

Weird how Armstrong our vice captain isn't appearing much. though I haven' read the whole thread

17. Swervedancer Guest

Wasn't Griffiths our most important player in Ronny's last season with 40 goals? I love Van Dijk, he's world class I think but if we were going to remove one would we still have won the league without Leigh?

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Griffiths = goals. I don't know why people fail to appreciate how important he is for the team.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Dembele..

It's actually worked out favourably for Brendan as I think he would've started Dembélé at that dump next week, but now with Griff off with a niggle....and Dembélé coming on and ending the drought..... He'll play against County, and another goal against them would absolutely cement his start next Saturday. I think he'll start regardless..

Jax Teller likes this.
  20. z1c0

Yes, Griffiths was our most important player last season, however, a lot of players have surpassed him now.

Brown the main example.