1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Needs to find some form ASAP.

Tommy25 and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

Can only find some form if he actually gets a run of first-team games, instead of fleeting substitute appearances.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  3. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    none of our strikers play consistantly enough to find any kind of form

4. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We lack goals at the minute, we really need to give this guy a proper run of games to get himself fit and firing.

5. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Said it before. Griff needs a good season this year. Don’t see Brendan choosing him on a consistent basis though. That’s what he needs imo .

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN RODGERS has told Leigh Griffiths he’s still got it all to prove for Celtic and Scotland.

Hoops star Griff slated Alex McLeish after being benched against Albania.

But Celts gaffer Rodgers insists the hitman has plenty to work on — and should never take a starting place for granted.

Rodgers said: “Leigh knows his qualities but he now has to, at this stage of his career, work tirelessly at ALL aspects of his game.

“If you look at the evolution of strikers, it is not just about scoring goals any more — you have to do more than that.

“Strikers are now running underneath, pressing from behind, working.

“You can never think you are the No1 striker. No, you always have to think you’re being pushed and challenged.

“Big clubs will always have options, you always have to fight to prove yourself every day in training and in every game.

“If you don’t, and you drop off a level, whatever your fitness or preparation, then there’s always someone else.”

Hoops boss Rodgers last week gave Griffiths an improved new contract until 2022 — a bumper reward just a few weeks after the frontman scored his 100th goal for Celtic.

But he is also aware that Griffiths, a bargain £900,000 signing in 2014, has scored just two goals this season.

Griffiths was furious national coach McLeish already appears to have pencilled Steven Naismith in for a start against Israel next month.

The Hoops star wasn’t happy with Eck after Albania clash

Rodgers added: “I was at the Albania game and Steven Naismith was excellent.

“He worked his socks off and got Scotland two goals — you can’t complain about that.

“I think what Leigh Griffiths has done, and what he’s shown, is he has the ability to score goals.

“What he has to keep doing is keep working and keep fighting, so those opportunities come. To make sure he’s fit and ready to take them.”

Rodgers has kept Griffiths on the bench for the last two matches, and is likely to go again with £10million ace Odsonne Edouard tonight.

Rodgers said: “Leigh’s great to have in our squad, that’s why we gave him another deal.

“We know he can score goals. But at top teams it’s about more than that. You are always learning.

“You shouldn’t think that at 28, and you are a senior professional, that you stop learning.

“The first thing I ask players is: ‘Where are you at training’?

“If you want to play like Coutinho or Suarez, or these types of guys, you need to be eight or nine out of ten in training every day.

“Now, if you think you can work at a five or six out of ten, then you are not even ready to train with these guys — never mind play with them.

“You need to be ready to work and then when opportunities come, whether you are Leigh Griffiths or anyone else, you must be ready to take them.”

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Actually sounds like BR isnt too happy with his effort tbf

8. wulliebad

BR is never happy with Griff,he gets back into the team...gets a goal or does well and he is dropped again the minute another striker is fit.
    Take a 20-40 goal a season striker...* about with his game....scores less goals and is injured more than he is in the team....well done celtic.

9. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Sounds like he’s not putting the effort in at training.
    Unusual for Brendan to have a go at one of our players in public like that.

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Except it’s not unusual, because it’s Griff.

Has done this a couple of times with him, albeit maybe indirectly before, I think. Or maybe he did slate him individually. I think. Can’t remember exactly but I’m sure he has.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I love Griffiths but he's completely off the boil at the moment. His first touch was like a trampoline against St Mirren.

I'm surprised that he's implying he's not putting in the effort. For all his flaws I've never seen Griffiths not give 100%.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  12. horseshoe

I'd be surprised, disappointed even, if griff isn't giving it all in training, he was one of the players we assumed Ronny was talking about when issues of fitness/diet were mentioned when he first came on the scene, but he seemed like was one to take it on board and screw the nut, be a shame if he's slid back into bad habits.

But there's always the possibility Rodgers just doesn't rate him, the amount he gets dropped when he's playing well does seem a bit *, we certainly couldn't call him one of his favourites from what we've seen.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Be better bigging up his own player rather than backing that alkie * ffs.

14. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    And bigging up that rat * Naismith.
    Can’t believe Brendan is praising him after his recent disgraceful behaviour against us.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Continually publicly going at Griff but for over a year now has been patting Sinclair's baws..

As said, the agreeing with Jake and wanking over Naismith is toe curling..

16. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Hard to disagree that praising Naismith after his conduct against us earkier this season probably wasn’t the best move.

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye can't disagree with that. That interview has really just * me off. Thank * Griff loves it here otherwise I reckon he would have * off by now.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Griff has been barely fit enough to string two games together in a year or more, resulting in him only scoring 3 goals in 2018. That’s not down to Rodgers for me.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think he’s been unfair there at all. You can’t just think you’ve made it and that’s that. He needs to get himself fit and show what we all know he can do.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Training, physios, his recovery periods..

Can be a whole host of reason's but for a while, he has definitely no been managed well in regards to keeping him fit..