1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

La Liga/Spanish football 17/18

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 29, 2017.

Discuss La Liga/Spanish football 17/18 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Couldn't have said it better, there have been greatest players every 20/30 years but no-one has been so complete with such invention, I've seen lots of Maradona and some wonderful clips of Pele but neither was the best in every position after the half way line :100:

It is funny folk saying he never won a World Cup so he's automatically 3rd place without actually considering him revolutionising the possibilities we never thought possible.

It's a strange time we live in. Like for GOATs. Federer, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Phelps, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Van Gerwen, the basketball guy

2. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Really terrific match, for nearly an hour it was very tight and like a heavyweight boxer Valverde had them just absorbing all of Setien's pressure and control before patiently waiting for their opening. Can't lie, I am stunned by how well Valverde has coped with the crazy circumstances he took over the squad but I much prefer the style of Cruyff you see with Setien. Did not see Barcelona getting a 5-0 result

Suarez & Messi, fantastic performances. Leo with 12 completed dribbles, most in the league in over 3 seasons - presumably since he did it. Doing this all without Coutinho and Dembélé, honestly have no idea what sort of team/play to expect over the next few months. Although, you can always be certain about Lionel Messi

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Arsene Wenger got it right, when he said Messi was like a Playstation footballer. It's like he's on cheat mode. Going to be a sad day for football when he eventually retires.

PaulM1888, Doogs. and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Have to agree Barca seem like an optical illusion at the moment, you know the one of a vase and two faces?
    They almost appear to be both a shadow of Pep's team but then all of a sudden they burst into life.
    I doubt they'll ever be like the La Masia team again but I'm quite excited to see if Coutinho turns out to be the alchemist he promises to be.
    It's interesting the fact about Messi's dribbling because I thought he was really fired up for it from the start, he was buzzing about with real intent.
    But yeah, he really did give us a treat with that way he dribbles, it looks like he's floating above the grass. There's a classic moment in the 2011 final where he moves the ball from one foot to the other so quickly it would be impossible for his feet to be touching the grass.
    I can't see what you had behind the spoiler, it just says IMG.
    It's quite amazing what Valverde has done, he's made them defensively strong.
    I really want them to pump three teams in the UCL, Chelsea, Madrid and PSG. There's no romance in those teams.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I wonder if people will be as good in the future as well. A lot of the "best ever" were born in the 70 and 80s so were kids before computers and that fully took over or when TV had few channels, so probably spent far more time as kids playing their sports and getting so technically good.

Nowadays and probably for anyone born from 1990 onwards all kids have grown up with PC's, gameboys, nintendos, playstations and later laptops, phones, ipads, netflix and that and nobody is playing as much sport as they used to and it's only getting worse and worse as time goes on so they are most likely never going to reach the levels of technique people used to(in the same high numbers anyway you will always get the odd few who are great).

Will be interesting to see if there are any Messi, Xavi, Zidane, Iniesta, Ronaldinho type players who were born in the 2010s

6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I have a feeling there will still be talent coming out of South America, Africa and the East, basically places where people are poor but the weather is hot enough to be able to play outside all the time.
    Mostly though it'll be coaches and scouts who will suddenly start receiving large salaries and Fifa can hopefully make some kind of rules that tells agents to gtf till a kid is 16. I imagine Messi must've been courted when he arrived in Spain aged 13 which was unheard of so folk knew he must've been special but he didn't sign with Barca till he was 16, I think it was a verbal agreement the first three years. Mind you, who's going to outbid Barca.
    I think they might have another golden era of La Masia within 20 years. The system is such a part of their culture I think any promising kid will want to go there.
    It's the only hope we have, developing our Academy with the strict ethos of skillful football. We can see it already as a lot of our younger players are pretty good with their feet by Scottish standards anyway.
    China has 30,000 places for talented kids to learn classical piano so for sure they'll be hothousing sporting talent too.
    Belgium seems to have produced a generation brought up in the digital age and that was all down to a completely revamped attitude to coaching including education, nutrition and everything else that a top athlete needs to progress but still love it.
    Of course like Pep's revolutionary team, they were blessed with good timing. They've still not won anything though, it's mental. Oh yeah and let's not forget Germany, they've been producing world class talent for some time.
    The money is quite attractive too so there will be the psycho parents with strict curfews of 30 minutes Xbox per day.
    Technique in non British leagues is quite a high standard too.
    Like my old boy though who worshipped Jinky and experienced us when we revolutionised the game, we're * for a good few years before we see anything close to Messi.
    I like to imagine our Academy produces another Jinky. And we totally destroy Real Madrid during Ronaldo's testimonial :93:

Bhoyo87 likes this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Turan, Mascherano and Rafina all leaving Barca.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Vidal been told he can leave too. Coutinho doesn't come cheap.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think they’d all be getting punted anyway. Not good enough.

Really like what Valverde’s doing at Barca.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah. Turan cost £37m and didn't make enough of an impact.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And is about 4 stone overweight.

Barca really have wasted some amount of money over the years.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Guys that werent really playing anyway, their squad would still be good without them...

Ter Stegen, Cillessen
    Roberto, Semedo
    Pique, Mina
    Umtiti, Vermaelen
    Alba, Digne
    Busquets, Paulinho
    Iniesta, Gomes
    Coutinho, Rakitic
    Messi, D.Suarez
    Suarez, Alcacer
    Dembele, Deulofeu

Could probably upgrade 2/3 of their squad players though Vermaelen, Gomes and Deulofeu aren't much use either injured all the time or not good enough if they could replace those 3 with better they'd be in great shape. Griezmann would be good for them as it seems they want him and even someone like Javi Martinez who could back-up centre-back and Busquets.

15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Jeez oh, Griezman, Martinez and Coutinho, Barca giving two fingers to El Galacticos :56:
    No way are Atletico selling Anton for anything stupid to their rivals, dunno about Bayern, they probably think the same.
    Only thing in Barca's favour is everyone wants to play with Messi before he retires.
    I know I would take a drop in wages to play with someone who brings the best out of you.

16. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Martinez and Barca, that would fit like a glove.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Who would you replace him with? Would they want their glove to find a good fit again :93: :43:

18. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Madrid knocked out of the Copa Del Rey. Zidane has a two legged tie vs PSG to save his job, seems crazy saying that for a two-time CL winning manager in his first two seasons in management, but that's just how it works at a club like Madrid. Big changes needed, could do with some defenders and a couple of attackers with Ronaldo aging. Also going back in for De Gea or maybe Courtois might be something they could look into.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Psg will destroy them with ease..

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member