1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

La Liga 2018/19

Discussion in 'World Football' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 9, 2018.

Discuss La Liga 2018/19 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    When Dembele is on his game he's awesome, the problem is that he's inconsistent, you look at Coutinho, in any other team he would be the star man, but he's struggled since moving to Barca.

2. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Coutinho really struggling and it definitely appears to be a mental/confidence thing. I was pretty annoyed that Valverde subbed Alena off instead of taking Coutinho off, coupled with Arthur there was precious little control in the game. Hope the rumours are true of Chelsea coming in with a big offer, would be happy to see him go

Dembele has that quality you don't see in many footballers in the professional game, I love it. He's an electric form atm too so hopefully today's injury is minor

Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye true, I wasn't even thinking about that cause that's some responsibility. I imagine Suarez will be much more likely to be the player orchestrating things, at least the tempo cause he covers so much ground making all sorts of runs dragging players all over the place.

Dembele still has a while to grow into a leading role. It must be difficult when you're fighting for space with so much talent on the pitch. Was very impressed with his long range passing though because up close he's brilliant too.

*, at least it wasn't a second goal for Madrid :55: Btw that 2 pass goal they nearly scored, contender for goal of the season, incredible skill.

True, I was thinking about his inconsistency too that's why I made that terrible analogy, I should've said when he matures more because he's learning from the very best attackers in the world.

Countinho is a mystery, I've not seen a lot of games this season but he's not been his normal confident self. He looked good when he first joined and when he was with Liverpool I thought he was the most Barca looking player not playing for them. You think the pressure has got to him? I thought skillful players like him would be inspired playing the style Barca do especially with the players you can use your imagination with.

* knows how Messi does it but when he took off his subs hoody you knew instinctively it was all over for Leganes. I don't know how he manages to get so much power into a strike especially when he hardly uses any backlift. Catches keepers offgaurd too as Van der Sar did not look like a keeper getting ready for a shot.

Arthur looks a player.

Be interesting seeing how easy it is for Barca to replace their defence. Just because I think it's maybe the hardest positions to fill seeing as it's the Tacoma Narrows. Plus with so many teams now getting billionaire money it's going to be a little tougher even for Barca and Madrid. We'll still pump them though :ynwacelti

FCBarca likes this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    @Swervedancer .......................I think no matter how good a player is they still have to fit into the Barca way of playing and this can be a problem, the golden rule is that you don't give the ball away and must play within the system ! :67:

FCBarca and Lilac Wine like this.
  5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye I must admit it did look weird when Coutinho lost the ball or misread a pass a couple times plus that row Z shot when Dembele made a beautiful assist was like watching a different team. Not writing him off as like everyone it's obvious he's class but as you say maybe he's not Barca class. For sure they'll get their money back on him if he's sold. Be much better if he just got his mojo working and found his place in the system. I mean he's a wonderful passer and has a great shot (apart from tonight) so what's up with him? Plus if Liverpool win the league he's getting the blame :56:

You're right about the passing, sometimes when I haven't seen them for a while I forget the speed they move the ball and collect it, all one touches, maybe 2 if being marked by 3. Like Griff's first goal against Malmo, that was Barcautiful.

The Prof likes this.
  6. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Defense for Barcelona is as important as midfield, big reason why I had hoped there'd be an equal push for both De Ligt & FDJ. Especially when it's clear Pique is closer to the end of his career than the beginning of it + there are now some murmurings that Umtiti might have longterm issues with his knee

Callum McGregor and Lilac Wine like this.
  7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Shame about Umtiti, I don't know if he's Barca class or not, hope he's ok though. Seems very powerful. Problem for Barca and other teams of that stature is it's not so much about money at that level, it's about finding talent good enough. Pique, Alba and especially Busquets will be very hard to replace. A whole generation who grew up together in La Masia, that's going to be tough. Why did you sell Alves? I thought he was the best RB in the world so that was strange. I'm sure you had a dip in form in that position too?

Barca do have more appeal than a lot of teams though. Until PSG get Uefa to make a superleague then I doubt many world class players will choose them. Why Neymar left I don't know but it was a terrible decision career wise, I mean he hardly needed money that badly. I was hoping Barca would buy Virgil, he's the right kind of player for you.

Barca have always attracted great players, I think all the Brazilians who won the Balon played for Barca. Jeez oh Pele is the only GOAT you've not signed and I'm lamenting your defence :56:

FCBarca likes this.
  8. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Umtiti is very popular among fans and I would be quite happy to see him there as a fixture for a long time. But this knee issue is worrying. Particularly because he has repeatedly refused an operation to try & correct the issue, opting for conservative approaches which have still not allowed him to recover 100%.

Always the case, the reality of life - it keeps going forward and age does not slow down. Normally, you count on the cantera to produce talents to fill those gaps but La Masia has been poorly managed since Barto/Rosell took over - although this is course correcting in the past year. Riqui Puig is a player I believe many will come to know soon enough.

Poor contract management by the board regrettably but the truth is that he left at nearly the right time in terms of his own decline - unfortunately Barcelona did not prepare adequately for this eventuality either. He remains, for me, every bit as great than Cafu if not better. I have never seen a more intimidating fullback at both ends of the pitch than Alves in his prime, particularly at Sevilla where he was an absolute monster of a player. I mean, how many fullbacks legitimately inspire fear from defenders and attackers like he could. Legend.

The appeal is likely to be there for a variety of reasons for a long time, true. However, money talks - especially more & more. Even City are not going to engage in bidding wars the way PSG does and Barcelona are right not to either. What this means for the game overall, irrespective of how much teeth FFP has or will have, remains to be seen

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fortunately it's nothing serious and Dembélé will be out for 15 days (4 matches). Biggest loss will be not having him for the Copa Del Rey QFs vs Sevilla (neither leg available)

Late breaking transfer is the loan of Kevin Prince Boateng from Sassuolo. This frees up Denis Suarez to make his loan/transfer to Arsenal. Not sure what to think of it tbh although I can't imagine he will get many minutes, KPB has played for 11 different teams now

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Why are they being linked with Vela and Boateng? They both seem a few levels below Barca.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Boateng is a mental signing.

12. Keano88

When I seen this I assumed it was Jerome Boateng.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I thought it was the Bayern defender Messi trolled. Enjoy Prince :56: Sassuolo must be some team if they can loan Barca players.

15. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Frenkie de Jong )Ajax) to be announced at 17:00 today for incorporation in summer 2019, rumoured fee is 82-86M + 4-8M

Lilac Wine and Liam Scales like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I think they needed De Ligt more tbh. And talk that Rabiot is a done deal aswell.

FCBarca likes this.
  19. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I see your point and I don't disagree about De Ligt's importance/impact but a midfield playmaker or pivot of De Jong's profile has been sorely missing to link defense to attack. Defenders, you could plug in a lot of players behind a juggernaut attack but not the other way around.

That being said, I don't believe Barcelona are going to ultimately sign Rabiot (thankfully) and more importantly, I believe they are turning their attention indeed to De Ligt

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That is a mental fee for DeJong, whether he's a class act or not IMO.

But then what player at the top end of the transfer tree isn't mental nowadays I suppose.