1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Kevin Doyle

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by McManus4, Mar 19, 2013.

Discuss Kevin Doyle in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    No, no, no.

I hate that the press make us a graveyard for past-it Irish players. I think, and hope, the board have realised that wasting wages on people who will provide us virtually nothing is business suicide and our current youth-led model is most definitely the way to go.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Neil Lennon has fuelled speculation that Celtic will make another bid for Wolves striker Kevin Doyle after he hailed the striker as an “ideal foil” for his current crop of forwards.

• Neil Lennon praises Wolves striker Kevin Doyle as “class act”

• Celtic may line up second bid for Republic of Ireland international in summer

The Celtic manager also called the Republic of Ireland international “a class act” as he spoke about the benefits the 29-year-old would bring to Parkhead.

Doyle was a loan target for Celtic in January before Wolves pulled out of the deal.

“I’m a big admirer of Kevin. You need to look at the overall performance and what you want from him. I just felt he could make us better. We might have given him a lease of life.

“It’s not just the goals he brings, he’s never been prolific. He is that all-round type of centre-forward that I really like.

“I feel Kevin would be an ideal foil for the likes of Gary Hooper and Anthony Stokes.”

3. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    We should take Bakary sako with him.

4. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    You've been slating Lennon for his team selections and tactics, but totally trust his decision on this irrelevant Irish carthorse?!?

5. Mr. Slippyfist

What has team selections got to do with player transfers?

And what the * does his nationality have to do with anything?

Try thinking first..............

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Depending on price and wages, I think this could be a decent signing.

He's not a prolific goalscorer, but he is someone who could lead from the front and his all-round game is decent. He'll chase and work defenders for 90 mins and has the physique to make himself a real handful and create space for others.

He's 29 and has spent the majority of his career in England, so we'd know what we're getting.

But like I said, depends on price and wage demands, I suppose.

7. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Erm, everything? We wouldn't be having this discussion if he wasn't Irish. As I said the tiresome press cliches of linking a over-the-hill Irish player to Celtic just bore me now.

And i've seen you slate Lenny in recent threads, so I was just wondering how you can totally disagree with his opinion on some footballing matters, but believe him when he talks about this one Irish player?

8. Mr. Slippyfist

The conversation has arose again because there is a quote from Lennon saying he is interested in him......nowhere in that quote does it mention anything about his * nationality - so it would seem that it is yourself who is making that an issue......although I am not surprised.

Do you understand the difference between a player selection and a transfer of a player? PM me and I'll get the crayons out and show you :50:

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We don't have conversations about players our manager has publically linked us to?

Do me a favour and go view the old thread about the young boy from Norway that got into the thousands :56:

10. Mr. Slippyfist

That Norwegian guy must have had an Irish grannie to get that amount of posts :rolleyes:

11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Lol, what's that supposed to mean? I don't have anything against Irish players, I have something against * players, and right now we're talking about a * Irish player.

Where did I say that?

I'm saying Irish players are always specifically linked to us just because they're Irish, and some fans want them just for their nationality.
    This is a well known and clear fact so don't even bother denying it.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Right there "we wouldn't be having this discussion if he wasn't Irish"

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Outside of Robbie or Roy Keane who were World Class players in there time name one Irishman we, as a fanbase, have been like that with.

I'll give you plenty examples of ones who weren't. So no, it's not a fact. It's utter stupidity for people to judge a player on his nationality.

14. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    And we wouldn't. Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, last summer window there was Keith Andrews as well I remember. Papers just constantly link over the hill Irish players with us, not any other club in the world, and I hate the way we're a graveyard for * wage-stealers from the Emerald Isle in the twilight of their career. It's so lazy "oh he's Irish so he must go to Celtic", why does it have to be like that? I want good players, and if they happen to be Irish (like Stokes for eg) then great because we have a large fanbase there.

Some people get unreasonably ecstatic over it but I can tell you the club would have been much better off if we hadn't wasted wages on the Keanes.

And yet we, like every other fanbase, does. Read through any thread on here about an Irish player, and people will be praising him PURELY for being Irish. Look at that Everton boy the other day who said up the ra. James McLean as well, these are just examples off the tip of my head.

If Gary Hooper or another of our English players posed with the union jack or asked for GSTQ to be played at CP, you can bet your mortgage they would be getting slated from some in the stands for, yep you guessed it - their nationality!

Why are you denying the obvious?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You seem to be under the impression this is paper talk.

It's fact we have put a bid in recently and fact that Neil Lennon has stated he is interested. This is genuine interest and a talking point.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

It's a "fact" is it? Shouldn't be too hard for you to prove then?

17. Mr. Slippyfist

My * man.......you are posting some amount of tripe here!

I never seen any post that said "He's Irish.......well done him!" - or anything of that nature :rolleyes:

18. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Well you should probably open your eyes then. Why does Stokesy get more love from the fans, and have more songs than Hooper does? Why was McGeady more loved than Maloney? Why do loads of people on here want to sign James McLean, but there is no clamour for Scott Sinclair for example?

Why you are even denying the blindingly obvious and common-knowledge I don't know.

Yeah I know you can counter with "Daryl Murphy was * and we hated him!" but why did we sign him in the 1st place? We could have just as easily, and probably cheaper, got the * Welsh or French or Spanish version of Murphy. I appreciate our history, and I like the traditional aspect of clubs like Bilbao who still adhere to a strict signing policy, but we should no longer be signing people just because of their nationality.

Neither Neil Lennon, nor you Padmill, would like Kevin Doyle as much if he wasn't Irish. You can, and i'm sure will, deny this but it is a fact. You have a sub-conscious affection for that country and citizens of it, which affects your judgement. Just like we all have individual biases, the majority of Celtic fans have a massive bias towards Ireland. I'm saying it's not always a good thing for us, and have listed some reasons/examples why.

Done.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Quite simply the biggest load of pish I have EVER read on this site.

I've asked you once to prove that it is a fact.......now I'm telling you.

20. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Your constant denial is my biggest piece of evidence. :50:
    Dunno why you're denying it either, i'm not accusing you of anything bad, just pointing out basic human psychology.

Don't take it as a negative as i'm not putting you down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.